jalebi_bhai

ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 Match #14 - India vs Australia - Kennington Oval,London - 9th June - 3.00 pm IST

Big picture

It began exactly three months ago, in Ranchi. Coming into that game, Australia had won only eight of their last 33 ODIs going back to the start of 2017, and were still coming to terms with their two best batsmen serving a year-long ban. Their captain Aaron Finch was struggling to buy a run, and India's fast bowlers, away and at home, had been ruthlessly zoning in on his frailties against the incoming ball.

India had just beaten Australia 2-1 in an ODI series in their own backyard, and were leading the five-match return series 2-0.

Everything turned around in Ranchi, where Finch made 93 in a 32-run win for Australia. Since that innings, Finch has averaged 71.44. Since that match, Australia have won ten ODIs on the bounce, the last two at this World Cup with a full-strength squad including David Warner and Steven Smith.

This Australian resurgence has challenged what had been a pretty set narrative in the months preceding the World Cup, that England and India would be the teams to beat, with the rest trailing some way behind. Nope, Australia have snarled. We're here too.

And, in their most recent game against West Indies, they did that most Australian thing, that don't-kid-yourselves-thinking-we're-beaten thing. Think Mohali, 1996, or Headingley, 1999, or Port Elizabeth, 2003. The fear factor is back.

Their opponents on Sunday, however, won't be scared. India occupy a different level of ODI pedigree to the two teams Australia have beaten at this tournament so far. Their batsmen aren't going to get out slogging when the required rate is under control, as West Indies' did. Their bowlers, you suspect, wouldn't have let them turn 79 for 5 to 288 all out. India will give Australia plenty to worry about - if not fear - themselves. Jasprit Bumrah is bowling like a demon, the wristspinners are whirring away menacingly, Rohit Sharma has begun his tournament with a match-winning hundred, and Virat Kohli is, well, Virat Kohli.

This World Cup has already seen some fine contests. We've seen Pakistan defy expectations against England, Bangladesh methodically dismantle South Africa, West Indies rattle Australia, and New Zealand wobble alarmingly against Bangladesh. But we haven't yet seen a clash of the big contenders. Sunday will be just that.

Team news

Australia have played the same XI in both their games so far, and though some of their players haven't hit top form just yet, there isn't a compelling reason to make any changes just yet.

Australia (probable): 1 David Warner, 2 Aaron Finch (capt), 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Steven Smith, 5 Glenn Maxwell, 6 Marcus Stoinis, 7 Alex Carey (wk), 8 Nathan Coulter-Nile, 9 Pat Cummins, 10 Mitchell Starc, 11 Adam Zampa

Given Australia's troubles against the short ball against West Indies, India could look to bring Mohammed Shami - who can hurry batsmen with the bouncer, as he showed during a six-wicket haul in the Perth Test in December - into their attack. Who could he come in for, though? Bhuvneshwar Kumar would be the obvious option, but without him India's tail will begin at No. 8, unless they also replace one of the wristspinners with Ravindra Jadeja. Playing all three quicks could also be an option, if the conditions point in that direction.

India (probable): 1 Rohit Sharma, 2 Shikhar Dhawan, 3 Virat Kohli (capt), 4 KL Rahul, 5 MS Dhoni (wk), 6 Kedar Jadhav, 7 Hardik Pandya, 8 Bhuvneshwar Kumar, 9 Kuldeep Yadav, 10 Jasprit Bumrah, 11 Yuzvendra Chahal

Quotes

"Winning those last three games in India gave us some self-belief we can beat this side in their home conditions and that gives us real confidence coming into a game like this."
Australia captain Aaron Finch

"See, short ball for any batsman is not easy. Even the best guy who can pull the ball, who can hook the ball, will find it difficult. We understand that. And probably we have the bowling attack to do that. Having said that, you don't want to be carried away with that."
Rohit Sharma weighs in on the biggest tactical trend of this World Cup

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/preview/1144496/australia-vs-india-14th-match-icc-cricket-world-cup-2019

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C'mon Boyzz!!!  :isalute: :isalute: 

2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Australia's recent ODI resurgence began with a 3-2 win over India in India after being down 0-2. Considering their squad has been buttressed by the inclusions of Steve Smith and David Warner , Australia should be fancy their chances of beating India at this ground; The emphasis being on this ground, The Oval, where India lost to both Sri Lanka and Pakistan in the Champions Trophy two years ago .

2 hours ago, zen said:

Finally, an Ind thread with some effort put in! 

PS this is a different match thread .... maybe a case of merge/demerge :hmmmm2: 

2 hours ago, test fan said:

Whenever I play dream 11 my caption never make impact so today I will make 3-4 team all caption from Australia ( Warner ,Smith ,starc , Cummins) :phehe:

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

NCN looked injured while bowling in last game in last over.............any update on him ?

1 hour ago, WC2011INDIA said:

Whoever wins this one is going all the way to the finals.

57 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

Why can't they the Indian games D/N? Even the SF and Final are day games. Kya chewtiyapa hain yeh bhai? Games fricking starts at 3-30 am local and then if India loses the whole days is barbaad. Soch rahan hun, itni subeh jagoon ya na jagoon? :thinking:

56 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!! 

Apologies guys, my internet has been acting up the last couple of hours. Hence the merge/demerge non-sense. I've saved your posts though.

Chak de India! Aussie team is a very difficult opponent but not impossible to beat. The key is to keep on fighting for the upper hand throughout the match. WI let up a little bit after utter domination and the Aussies came back. And someone please get that annoying fecker Smith out ASAP! Like bubblegum stuck on a shoesole, the asshole is maha chipku.

2 hours ago, sergio04 said:

Can India compete against Australia?

Why so negative ? It will be a good game. We just need to win toss, bat first  get to a par score and leave it on spinners. If we play well we will win. 

33 minutes ago, Norman said:

Reports suggesting Jadeja and Shami to come in for Kuldeep and Bhuvi. :phehe:

Yeah, that's right because Jadeja can bat. :giggle:

First i find that hard to believe jaddu for kuldeep and even if this actually happens can't be because jaddu can bat. 

I will go with the same team. Its not because I prefer Bhuvi over Shami. Bhuvi adds some depth to the batting which already has little depth. Imagine Bhuvi at 8. If he doesnt play, then Kuldeep bats at 8 :laugh:. This is how pathetic the batting is.

Jadeja should be nowhere near the squad. He is only a good fielder these days. He can go for runs and his batting is overrated. I'm pretty sure Bhuvi is a better bat than Jaddu.

OTOH Australia has amazing depth. Their last four are NCN, Cummins, Starc, Zampa. Even Zampa can bat. Aussies also handle pressure better than others and are favored to win. India need its batting to fire big time to win this. If batting first, India need to cross 300. If bowling first, Aussies need to be restricted to 220

3 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

First i find that hard to believe jaddu for kuldeep and even if this actually happens can't be because jaddu can bat. 

Read somewhere (may be on cricbuzz) that TM is reluctant to play Kuldeep as he has been ineffective against Aus in the recent series. They may play Shami for bhuvi today and to restore the depth in batting, Jadeja will replace Kuldeep. :agree:

This is an even contest. Hope it's our team do which performs better than their.

Aussies have their own issues. Their spin bowling in Zampa and Maxwell is very pathetic as compared to Chahal and Yadav. Their pace bowling is better though than ours. Starc, Cummins, NCN are clearly better than Bumrah, Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Hardik Pandya.

40 minutes ago, Norman said:

Read somewhere (may be on cricbuzz) that TM is reluctant to play Kuldeep as he has been ineffective against Aus in the recent series. They may play Shami for bhuvi today and to restore the depth in batting, Jadeja will replace Kuldeep. :agree:

its not as if jaddu is any good against aussies but who cares as long as we win. 

So I have so far watched ( with distinct memory) Ind vs Aus WC encounters at 99, 2003, 2011 and 2015. Except for 2011, I never thought Ind had any chance of beating Aus in other matches as Aus were simply too good compared to India.

But this Aus team is very beatable, neither am I getting those "Aus cannot be beaten" vibes. Ind has a good chance today, Virat has to make the most of it,his own reputation at stake here. 

Edited by SK_IH

1 hour ago, Norman said:

I was thinking they will do that and agree. Kuldeep ineffective against then and out of form a bit. Jaddu 3D and number 8. Get shami in for Kumar or we will be in trouble. 

36 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

So I have so far watched ( with distinct memory) Ind vs Aus WC encounters at 99, 2003, 2011 and 2015. Except for 2011, I never thought Ind had any chance of beating Aus in other matches as Aus were simply too good compared to India.

But this Aus team is very beatable, neither am I getting those "Aus cannot be beaten" vibes. Ind has a good chance today, Virat has to make the most of it,his own reputation at stake here

It's only in 2003 & 2007 when they were nigh unbeatable, even then in 2003 Pak, NZ, Eng, SL had a good chance to beat them but alas! Everywhere else they were beatable, even 2015 although the 2007 team was statistically better in that WC than even 2003 WR breakers!

One match won't make or break him, heck even a solitary WC isn't enough. For some he's already better than the one true king or even GOD :canabis:

Edited by R!TTER

If Shami plays in place of Bhuvi, rest assured Jaddu will play in place of Kuldeep to give more batting depth. But lord knows when Jaddu last made any meaningful contribution with the bat.

2 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Cricbuzz says ,no chance of any change,that means knuckle man and two wrist spinners retain their places

Shami was needed here ,would have been nice to get an idea what form he is at the moment

Agree. Shami is a genuine wicket taker, Bhuvi will be economical at best. 

Guest, sign in to access all features.