Need help/suggestions [ Noob electrical doubts ] !!!

velu

Got inverter  + battery for my desktop + fiber optic dubba + wifi router ( only 3 items ) .. 

So instead of connecting my inverter to the mains , i directly connected to the mains ..

Everything is fine here and working as expected.. :aha:

Now my doubt is , when i am not using my desktop do i need to switch off power input to my inverter ( invertoer plug conntcted to the power supply ... check  red circle ) ?

IgM5tpW.jpg

disclaimer:-

only two things i know about electricals . first is kirchoffs law and the second one is , if i touch electricity we will get shock  :blush: 

14 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Is this common in India?  Buying batteries and inverters?  Is the power supply that unreliable?

whenever there is a rain or wind , there will be some problem in my area ( bangalore ) ..

also there will be frequent 5/10min power cuts 

4 hours ago, velu said:

Got inverter  + battery for my desktop + fiber optic dubba + wifi router ( only 3 items ) .. 

So instead of connecting my inverter to the mains , i directly connected to the mains ..

Now my doubt is , when i am not using my desktop do i need to switch off power input to my inverter ( invertoer plug conntcted to the power supply ... check  red circle ) ?

IgM5tpW.jpg

only two things i know about electricals . first is kirchoffs law and the second one is , if i touch electricity we will get shock  :blush: 

Just switch off the button in ups 

3 minutes ago, YUSER_ said:

Don't switch off the power from main plug, battery won't charge and there will be less power in the battery if you were using it for long hours during power cuts.

He's also right if where you live has long power cuts.

6 hours ago, velu said:

IgM5tpW.jpg

When I lived in India for 2 years recently, I had an inverter for all TVs, Phones, WiFi ROuters and Home theatres. The power issue in Bangalore is a mess. Altho the house (gated community) had a generator, when the power goes off and switches to generator, all the appliances would go off and then on.  I could lose the phone call which was on a cordless phone. So, I had the inverter on all the time. I didn't have to  switch it off. Even if you are not using the desktop, the wifi router and cordless phones would still be on UPS and you will have network on your smart phone all the time.  

You are like one of these noobs .. Enjoy..

You must switch off the power input to the inverter to maintain it's efficiency.
Hmm...doesn't switching it off trigger the power to run on inverter? The one at my home is always switched on. I think I can experiment that today as no one's at home.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, nikred said:

Hmm...doesn't switching it off trigger the power to run on inverter? The one at my home is always switched on. I think I can experiment that today as no one's at home. emoji848.png

In this case he is using inverter just as a ups which allowed a computer to run for a shorter period during power cuts earlier 

13 hours ago, YUSER_ said:

Don't switch off the power from main plug, battery won't charge and there will be less power in the battery if you were using it for long hours during power cuts.

13 hours ago, MechEng said:

You must switch off the power input to the inverter to maintain it's efficiency.

13 hours ago, MechEng said:

He's also right if where you live has long power cuts.

problem here is frequent short power cuts , like 5-10 mins .. when it rains then we have 2hrs of power cut after the rain

probably on a normal day we have power for 23 hrs :giggle:

battery will be full most of times , if i am not using it and the battery is full , then i can switch off the power to invertor right  , because battery is full already ? :hmmm:

5 hours ago, beetle said:

Here...

or velu could get a cat to take care of pesky insects.

i use dodo this with my cat everyday when i was a kid :hmm: 

sometimes when i goto my grandparents place , me and my brother go for fishing in the nearby canal ( with 25paise hook and  2rs nylon line ) with our cat and give all the catches  to our cat :giggle:

23 minutes ago, velu said:

problem here is frequent short power cuts , like 5-10 mins .. when it rains then we have 2hrs of power cut after the rain

probably on a normal day we have power for 23 hrs :giggle:

battery will be full most of times , if i am not using it and the battery is full , then i can switch off the power to invertor right  , because battery is full already ? :hmmm:

Yes and it is safe too if you are living in an area affected by frequent thunderbolts

Edited by YUSER_

Is this common in India?  Buying batteries and inverters?  Is the power supply that unreliable?
Hyderabad almost has 24/7 power supply. Maybe there could be unplanned power cuts once in a while but no planned load shedding.

The most visible positive thing since KCR came into...erm... power.