Ind vs Pak Pre-Match Discussion (WC19)

zen

Purely on batting, I'd want DK ahead of Shankar for the game on Sunday.  I think DK could Ajay-Jadeja a bunch of greenbro bowlers into crying in their chaddis.  Especially if we bat first.  

But if there's rain around, Vijay Shankar could Mohanty/Ganguly the greenbro batsman, and the sight of their top order getting ripped apart by our 7th bowler could also be fun.

Choices Choices.

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

I've seen kids play in the rain in the bylanes of Byculla. What's the big fuss? Just play the game anyways.

Get serious.  wet grounds and slippery conditions are dangerous.  I get that fans want to see entertainment.  But knees and ankles can get sprained, ligaments can get torn, very easily.  You are talking about slicing years off of players' careers.   

This isn't a pick-up game in the gully.  

1 minute ago, YCCC said:

There are a couple of different trustworthy forecasts I use. BBC and Met Office. As usual met office is more pessimistic with 60-70% chance of rain from 1pm. BBC says 20-40% from 4pm

In the late 19th century British Law, and by extension in the Indian law, there was a provision that let the Met. Dept. keep its jobs even if their predictions were completely wrong. This rule basically meant that they didn't have much reason to better their predictions. No other profession gave this kind of a leeway.

Hopefully, with the advent of satellites and what not these predictions are more accurate now.

11 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

In the late 19th century British Law, and by extension in the Indian law, there was a provision that let the Met. Dept. keep its jobs even if their predictions were completely wrong. This rule basically meant that they didn't have much reason to better their predictions. No other profession gave this kind of a leeway.

Hopefully, with the advent of satellites and what not these predictions are more accurate now.

Personally I hope their forecast for Sunday is completely wrong!

Edited by YCCC

Alright, another round of simulations -- this time for IND vs PAK game. I've continued to assume that weaker teams like BAN/AFG/SL will continue to lose against stronger opponents. If tomorrow SL beats AUS and/or AFG beats RSA, I will re-run these simulations. Note that these simulations are really win-loss based on all possible scenarios. And the scenarios are not weighted at the individual game level, so, for example, India would have same chance of beating England and vice versa. I could introduce weights based on betting odds, but that would be too subjective. 50-50 win-loss it is for now.

Alright, since this is England and the game will be a washout (reverse jinx), here will be the outlook after Ind-Pak abandonment:

1piXYoj.png

In case the rain gods don't show up and if India win:

61782rd.png

And if Pakistan win:

l8MTWQO.png

---

As we can see, India winning basically ensures the semifinals and Pak basically eliminated. Aus,Eng,NZ should be rooting for Pak, but WI should prefer India to win.

8 hours ago, YCCC said:

There are a couple of different trustworthy forecasts I use. BBC and Met Office. As usual met office is more pessimistic with 60-70% chance of rain from 1pm. BBC says 20-40% from 4pm

There is rain on Saturday as well so ground will be unusable.