Sign in to follow this  
velu

Whether south india needs to ban chapathi , panipuri and pav bhaji as well ?

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

This is why every Indian should aspire to be this man below

A South Indian with a North Indian Sounding surname brought up in the west of India and has been creating feats in the East of India (264 in Kolkata)  :hatsoff:

rohitsharma-1.jpg

"sharma" is a tamil word as well ( most probably northies borrowed it from US )  .. if i am not wrong telungu music director mani sharma is a a proper 100%  telungu 

tamil singer blaze ka real name "Lakshmi Narasimha Vijaya Rajagopala Sheshadri Sharma Rajesh Raman:rotfl: 

blaaze-10.jpg

6 minutes ago, velu said:

"sharma" is a tamil word as well ( most probably northies borrowed it from US )  .. if i am not wrong telungu music director mani sharma is a a proper 100%  telungu 

tamil singer blaze ka real name "Lakshmi Narasimha Vijaya Rajagopala Sheshadri Sharma Rajesh Raman:rotfl: 

blaaze-10.jpg

Sharma is kind of like a caste extension like Iyengar,Nair,Chowdhary,Nayudu,Reddy,Raju etc. usually the surname I have seen for Tamils is usually their father’s name and for Telugu people it is usually the name of the origin village etc.

In the North the caste extension itself becomes the last name.

Some caste names  are unique to South the more popular ones like Nair,Iyer,Reddy etc 

The common caste extensions  like Sharma,Chowdhary and even Yadav become last names in North. Example Renuka Chowdhary or Rohit Sharma. I am sure they have a different surname/last name but since they are now mainstream, they don’t bother with it.

My wife likes dosas so whenever we are not cooking at home she orders from southie restaurants here in north.

This way I am forced to eat southie food.

Shall I start a thread against southie food imposition ?

2 hours ago, Number said:

Correction : North's southie food.

Lived in Bangalore for a few years. Imagine what I feel now when I have to eat Dilli ka Dosa or Uttapam.

Not making this about south vs north but North Indian food in South is definitely >>>> South Indian food in the North relatively speaking.

However Mumbai obviously not exactly north  has some great Udupi food may be due to proximity with the konkan belt. Probably best South Indian food outside of the South.

Worst South Indian food from south when it comes to vegetarian cuisine is in Kerala though because they put coconut oil in everything unless of course you are into their ethnic non-veg cuisine which I heard is very good

12 hours ago, maniac said:

Sharma is kind of like a caste extension like Iyengar,Nair,Chowdhary,Nayudu,Reddy,Raju etc. usually the surname I have seen for Tamils is usually their father’s name and for Telugu people it is usually the name of the origin village etc.

In the North the caste extension itself becomes the last name.

Some caste names  are unique to South the more popular ones like Nair,Iyer,Reddy etc 

The common caste extensions  like Sharma,Chowdhary and even Yadav become last names in North. Example Renuka Chowdhary or Rohit Sharma. I am sure they have a different surname/last name but since they are now mainstream, they don’t bother with it.

In north, Sharmas are brahmins who do not use their gotra as surname but use Sharma.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Not making this about south vs north but North Indian food in South is definitely >>>> South Indian food in the North relatively speaking.

However Mumbai obviously not exactly north  has some great Udupi food may be due to proximity with the konkan belt. Probably best South Indian food outside of the South.

Worst South Indian food from south when it comes to vegetarian cuisine is in Kerala though because they put coconut oil in everything unless of course you are into their ethnic non-veg cuisine which I heard is very good

People serving North Indian food in south are mostly north Indians while people serving South Indian foods in North India are also north Indians.

7 hours ago, Number said:

My wife likes dosas so whenever we are not cooking at home she orders from southie restaurants here in north.

This way I am forced to eat southie food.

Shall I start a thread against southie food imposition ?

You got married? Feels like yesterday when you got out of college and joined Samsung. 

18 hours ago, velu said:

a2b bangalore chat menu ..

m515-15591904415cef5ba90275f.jpg?w=1200

snacks menu ..

m515-15591904555cef5bb72a4e1.jpg?w=1200

and they dont have any south indian snacks .. they even have doklas but no south indian paniyaram , banana bajji , payasam :lol: 

Isn't this a Tamil based Hotel? Had a breakfast once or twice over there, but in their desperate attempt to copy North Indian dish, they seem to have forgotten how to cook South Indian dishes. Had a stomach upset after trying their Dosas. 

18 hours ago, velu said:

snacks menu ..

and they dont have any south indian snacks .. they even have doklas but no south indian paniyaram , banana bajji , payasam :lol: 

No gujju dish? :hitler:

I suppose that isnt hindi imposition. 

Edited by Bigg Brother

2 hours ago, Lannister said:

Isn't this a Tamil based Hotel? Had a breakfast once or twice over there, but in their desperate attempt to copy North Indian dish, they seem to have forgotten how to cook South Indian dishes. Had a stomach upset after trying their Dosas. 

Cooks are mostly northies , the sambhar we get there doesn't taste proper Tamil or kannadiga style ( no jaggery ) ..

But North Indian items in A2b is better than what we get in North Indian style restaurants in Bangalore

8 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

You got married? Feels like yesterday when you got out of college and joined Samsung. 

Yeah mate. 7 years have flown so fast.

I have a 9 months old daughter too. 

Dont get as much time for myself but can't complain. Watching your baby grow up is priceless except some sleepless nights. :p:

7 minutes ago, Number said:

Yeah mate. 7 years have flown so fast.

I have a 9 months old daughter too. 

Dont get as much time for myself but can't complain. Watching your baby grow up is priceless except some sleepless nights. :p:

Good to know that. Indeed it has been long time. Somehow I always had this image of college fresher for you.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:21 AM, velu said:

snacks menu ..

wtf are those prices? I used to pay 2 rs  for masala puri. 

26 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Did you leave for US in the 80s and never came back. The only thing you can buy from 2 rs is a biscuit from a local tea shop. Even a beggar these days expect more.

I left in 2000,i have been back a few times but never tried street food .i still remember always getting 1 masala puri and 1 order of pani puri every week outside my college.

17 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

I left in 2000,i have been back a few times but never tried street food .i still remember always getting 1 masala puri and 1 order of pani puri every week outside my college.

I used to get full meals for 10 rs near my college and unlimited meals for 15 rs. This was in an aachi shop in an actual hut. There was also a mallu shop nearby which we used to call cheta kadai where 4 chapatis cost 10 rs. Those were the times. This was way better than any meals that Im getting outside now. Tea at college canteen was 2 rs. Coffee at Saravana Bhavan was 6 rs. That was considered expensive because of high quality. This was in 2000. It went up to 8 rs after a few years. When I moved back here from the US in 2012, it was 25 rs. Now its 30 rs. Are you in Dallas. Your name suggests so. I went to school there and worked there also.

20 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I used to get full meals for 10 rs near my college and unlimited meals for 15 rs. This was in an aachi shop in an actual hut. There was also a mallu shop nearby which we used to call cheta kadai where 4 chapatis cost 10 rs. Those were the times. This was way better than any meals that Im getting outside now. Tea at college canteen was 2 rs. Coffee at Saravana Bhavan was 6 rs. That was considered expensive because of high quality. This was in 2000. It went up to 8 rs after a few years. When I moved back here from the US in 2012, it was 25 rs. Now its 30 rs. Are you in Dallas. Your name suggests so. I went to school there and worked there also.

yes.i live in DFW area now,lived in the bay area for a few years but came back.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, rkt.india said:

People serving North Indian food in south are mostly north Indians while people serving South Indian foods in North India are also north Indians.

May be in small towns. Most south india eateries in Delhi NCR are owned by South indians.

How different is the Sri Lankan food from the South Indian food? 

Can you believe it that in Pakistan no one knows what Dosa is? Actually we don't know even a single dish from the South India in Pakistan. 

Edited by Alam_dar

3 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

How different is the Sri Lankan food from the South Indian food? 

Can you believe it that in Pakistan no one knows what Dosa is? Actually we don't know even a single dish from the South India in Pakistan. 

You guys are missing something real big. South Indian food and South Indian atyle cooked North Indian dishes are way way tastier.

47 minutes ago, mishra said:

You guys are missing something real big. South Indian food and South Indian atyle cooked North Indian dishes are way way tastier.

I feared the same, and you confirmed it now.  

In Karachi, normally one is able to get many Indian dishes due to the presence of immigrant families. But mostly they are North Indian dishes + Marathi Dishes from Bombay (due to Gujrati communities like Memon and Bohras too I think). But pure South Indian dishes are almost non-existent there too. 

Just like you get the South Indian food touch in North India, we in Pakistan get the Afghani cuisine touch. But Afghans eat only meat. There are hardly any famous vegetable or lentil dishes present in Afghan cuisine. 

We also have borders with Iran, but still Iranian food and culture is totally foreigner to us, just like the Chinese culture and food.  Actually no, Chinese dishes are indeed present in Pakistan, but with Pakistani flavours. 

@velu

How different is Sri Lankan cuisine from the South Indian one? 

From Nepal, North India has got Momos. Right? 

What other foreign dishes have become local in North/South India? 

Edited by Alam_dar

13 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

@velu

How different is Sri Lankan cuisine from the South Indian one? 

From Nepal, North India has got Momos. Right? 

What other foreign dishes have become local in North/South India? 

i think srilankan food is quite similar to kerala food ( + coastal tn  food )  minus the beef .. heavy on coconut and fish

they take boiled rice much like mallus .. i hate that rice :wall: 

few of the items like kothu paratta and ceylon paratta in south are imports from srilanka .. 

2 hours ago, beetle said:

????

Which ones?

I like the spices Southies add say to Biryani or even just to notmal curries. It tastes absolutely different in South Indian restaurants.

Its Like Hakka Noodle. The Hakka noodle Indian restaurant make is nowhere close to Chinese ones. Infact Indian can’t eat Chinese ones.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, mishra said:

I like the spices Southies add say to Biryani or even just to notmal curries. It tastes absolutely different in South Indian restaurants.

in our hometown spice/masala we use is coriander powder + little red chilli powder mix .. and we add turmeric later 

Meh. It's just food. Im south Indian but I've tried cuisine from all parts of India - dhoklas from Gujarat. Fish made with bamboo shoots from the northeast, Kashmiri pulao, gongura chutney from AP. And I like it all. Thank god I have friends from all over the country who get me all of this. :)