Why do we Indians have so little civic sense ?

beetle

Came across this and feel we as a people fail so miserably when it comes to basic civic sense....masic civility to fellow Indians.

Why ?

Have often seen the ambulance screaching and blowing horn for way through traffic and people just don't make way. Very often there is so much traffic thst there is no place to move other thsn forward ...but so often it is just apathy .

Why don't families teach these at home as part of sanskars instead of just the usual stuff.

https://indianexpress.com/article/trending/trending-globally/video-of-hong-kong-protestors-giving-way-for-an-ambulance-garners-praise-online-5784049/lite/

It would be so nice to see something like this in our country.

Having spent a whole day in traffic travelling where traffic was caused everywhere only because @$*** can't  wait in lane and make 3rd 4th lane in two lane traffic.....I feel we as people  are pathetic when it comes basic human values as opposed to cultural values.

Go to a heavily populated Indian area in the UK, it is the same. Hardly anyone gives you way on the roads.

Indians simply lack patience, discipline, always looking for shortcuts and do things halfheartedly.

Indian's are very selfish people apart from when it comes to their own family.

Where I work there are a lot of people on my floor who come over from India for a year's experience, the toilets on our floor are by far the worst in the building. They can't even be bothered to flush the toilet!

2 hours ago, kubrickian said:

People in India have zero sense of hygiene and cleanliness. Everyone seems to be completely okay with streets filled with garbage, overflowing sewers and throwing stuff on the roads, pissing on the side of the roads. 

Civic sense and hygiene needs to be inculcated as a mandatory subject to be taught in schools and punishment needs to be given if kids dont learn. 

yes they then move to phoren lands to make $$ n buy BMWs to show off to their friends n relatives but still throw trash on the streets. Far often I have seen IT engineers making $200,000 /yr having pit stains.. so disgusting to see. I knew one desi uguy doing embee AAA with a strong body odor and he would be so oblivious to it..

said it before, Indian cities and people living in these cities have the lowest civic sense compared to other major countries.

Traffic discipline is the worst, can't drive, aren't aware of basic driving rules, and concept of giving way is alien, giving way is like bloody engraved into the driver's ego, morons

1 hour ago, chewy said:

said it before, Indian cities and people living in these cities have the lowest civic sense compared to other major countries.

Traffic discipline is the worst, can't drive, aren't aware of basic driving rules, and concept of giving way is alien, giving way is like bloody engraved into the driver's ego, morons

Agreed, if you go to a Chhatisgarh village it's very clean not in a phirangi developed way but in a more natural way.

Mumbai is a cesspit, Delhi is waay better.

11 hours ago, beetle said:

Came across this and feel we as a people fail so miserably when it comes to basic civic sense....masic civility to fellow Indians.

Why ?

Have often seen the ambulance screaching and blowing horn for way through traffic and people just don't make way. Very often there is so much traffic thst there is no place to move other thsn forward ...but so often it is just apathy .

Why don't families teach these at home as part of sanskars instead of just the usual stuff.

https://indianexpress.com/article/trending/trending-globally/video-of-hong-kong-protestors-giving-way-for-an-ambulance-garners-praise-online-5784049/lite/

It would be so nice to see something like this in our country.

Having spent a whole day in traffic travelling where traffic was caused everywhere only because @$*** can't  wait in lane and make 3rd 4th lane in two lane traffic.....I feel we as people  are pathetic when it comes basic human values as opposed to cultural values.

oh yes this is so true.....and pathetic....

This and many other issues boil down to one single factor.. India's (over)population.. When resources are scarce and people wanting to get hands on those resources are too many, its bound to happen.. 

I live in USA and always seen people very courteous.. However, same people become uncivil at one occasion.. 

And that occasion is when hurricane is about to hit and water/batteries/gas etc. items become scarce. I have seen people fighting in stores for crate of water bottles and batteries like kids.. It opened my eyes..  its just that Indians have to fight for every little things in India.. especially those that are not well to do.. they are not bad people.. they just want something better and more for themselves or for their families.. 

15 hours ago, veer said:

This and many other issues boil down to one single factor.. India's (over)population.. When resources are scarce and people wanting to get hands on those resources are too many, its bound to happen.. 

I live in USA and always seen people very courteous.. However, same people become uncivil at one occasion.. 

And that occasion is when hurricane is about to hit and water/batteries/gas etc. items become scarce. I have seen people fighting in stores for crate of water bottles and batteries like kids.. It opened my eyes..  its just that Indians have to fight for every little things in India.. especially those that are not well to do.. they are not bad people.. they just want something better and more for themselves or for their families.. 

That has nothing to do with throwing garbage and cutting traffic lines...its lack of respect towards others and utter selfishness...Not the poor ones who are needy do this,the rich with attitude,thats what this thread is about...I can understand the fight for food and water...but its another case....I have seen so much arrogant attitude displayed by Indians here in USA...even while honking while crossing at zebra line,just because they can't wait that long...pure arrogance..

On 6/18/2019 at 3:29 PM, velu said:

had seen few travel videos .. have to say countries like morocco , Egypt , libya and iran are far cleaner than our cities ..

even our tier-2 cities are dirty ..

we need to teach ( or learn ) civic lessons again for all our fellow injians  

Every country is cleaner than India. India is worse than Sub Saharan Africa.

17 hours ago, veer said:

this is very accurate and my first thoughts.

When resources become scarce, folks in NA and Europe can go to any extent even more violent and disorderly than Indians.

The problem of self hygine is differnet though one that Indians have, *ing clean yourself and be presentable and smell ok.

30 minutes ago, someone said:

Influence by surroundings? Put these Indians in western countries, and they will be an ideal citizen with great manners and civil sense. Here, in our own country, we look at each other, and just give-up our individual civil duties as seemingly the other person is not following it...

everything except personal hygiene. 

21 hours ago, Texy said:

yes they then move to phoren lands to make $$ n buy BMWs to show off to their friends n relatives but still throw trash on the streets. Far often I have seen IT engineers making $200,000 /yr having pit stains.. so disgusting to see. I knew one desi uguy doing embee AAA with a strong body odor and he would be so oblivious to it..

you are hanging out with the wrong desis,here they are shamed to reform.Even desi children are conditioned to be ultra clean.

1 hour ago, someone said:

Influence by surroundings? Put these Indians in western countries, and they will be an ideal citizen with great manners and civil sense. Here, in our own country, we look at each other, and just give-up our individual civil duties as seemingly the other person is not following it...

Why phoren? Put a thulla, they will follow rules. They will not jump signals when a policeman is there.