Zimbabwe deserved to play ahead of Afghanistan in worldcup.

I think Zimbabwe would have done good in this worldcup. Surely way better than Afghanistan did till now. Zimbabwe had middle order of:

- Brendan Taylor

- Sean Williams

- Sikandar Raza

and i think they would have easily scored 280+ in most of the matches. Yes they would have lost game but they were better team and deserved to play ahead of afg. Afg will need long time to become good in odi format, leave tests. 

1 minute ago, Nikola said:

I think Zimbabwe would have done good in this worldcup. Surely way better than Afghanistan did till now. Zimbabwe had middle order of:

- Brendan Taylor

- Sean Williams

- Sikandar Raza

and i think they would have easily scored 280+ in most of the matches. Yes they would have lost game but they were better team and deserved to play ahead of afg. Afg will need long time to become good in odi format, leave tests. 

Don't demean a team which qualified fairly to reach here .

SL, Pak, and SA are playing poorly too. AFG is yet to play Pak, which it beat in warm-ups .... Teams like AFG are not expected to set the WC on fire. They are filling the quota of minor teams that play in such events 

12 minutes ago, Nikola said:

- Brendan Taylor

- Sean Williams

- Sikandar Raza

they got beat by Afg right in the qualifiers?

6 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Don't demean a team which qualified fairly to reach here .

Zim lost match to UAE which they deserved to win (duckworth lewis ruined it) so you can't judge on that worldcup qualifier matches. The only other match they lost was vs WI.  

18 minutes ago, Nikola said:

- Brendan Taylor

- Sean Williams

- Sikandar Raza

Why Zimbabwe ? 

Scotland were the team next to qualify but a crap umpire decision and drs sent WI to the world cup 

Just now, Nikola said:

True. Scotland has few good odi players as well.

Has Zimbabwe beaten England recently in ODI ?

I think you are right btw but it should have been a  more team tournamount . 

I am not really sure 9 games 9 defeats will do Afghanistan good instead of a tight group of 4 and a real chance to process one stage further . Only Afghanistan management could answer that one 

39 minutes ago, Nikola said:

I don't pak will get free points from any team. They will have to earn it doesn't matter which opposition they face afg or zim.

its not Afghanistan fault nor they control D/L.They did whatever was required to qualify .

You are over-expecting from Afghanistan to win matches .World Cup is going to be good experience for them. 

This is Afganistan's Second WC and you gotta give them some slack imo .

India in 1975 WC vs England and overall WC (Won 1 match)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/60793/scorecard/65035

India in 1979 WC (Lost all the league matches 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Cricket_World_Cup_Group_B

Edited by Stuge

If anyone followed the ICC Qualifiers like I did, then they would know Zimbabwe were unlucky. West Indies were down and out, and on bad call, where DRS wasn't available, went against them. Zimbabwe deserved to qualify actually but extremely unlucky. Sikandar Raza was brilliant in the tournament.

Meanwhile, if you can't follow or have time to follow associate nation's scorecard, least you can do is at least follow Peter Della Penna of Cricinfo on twitter. He is the voice of Associate cricket/USA cricket and also is best journalist from Cricinfo by far. 

USA will make it to 2023 World Cup and also 2020 t20 World Cup. They are making up for the poor management which screwed up cricket the last decade. USA just gained the ODI status and are ready. 

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

If anyone followed the ICC Qualifiers like I did, then they would know Zimbabwe were unlucky. West Indies were down and out, and on bad call, where DRS wasn't available, went against them. Zimbabwe deserved to qualify actually but extremely unlucky. Sikandar Raza was brilliant in the tournament. 

USA will make it to 2023 World Cup and also 2020 t20 World Cup. They are making up for the poor management which screwed up cricket the last decade. USA just gained the ODI status and are ready. 

I was following it ,but that's how it is.If you want to blame ..blame the format that is being adopted by ICC .I would prefer the same format used in 2011 and  2015 WC with 14 teams playing WC IMO .

Edited by Stuge
8 minutes ago, Stuge said:

its not Afghanistan fault nor they control D/L.They did whatever was required to qualify .

You are over-expecting from Afghanistan to win matches .World Cup is going to be good experience for them. 

This is Afganistan's Second WC and you gotta give them some slack imo .

India in 1975 WC vs England and overall WC (Won 1 match)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/60793/scorecard/65035

India in 1979 WC (Lost all the league matches 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Cricket_World_Cup_Group_B

1975, 79 and 2019 big difference in era. Back then most teams didn't care much about ODI's but now with so many t20 cricket we are used to short formats and teams like Afg who are good in t20 but can't convert that success into odis against good sides where as we had already established teams like Zim or Scotland or even Ireland.

6 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Meanwhile, if you can't follow or have time to follow associate nation's scorecard, least you can do is at least follow Peter Della Penna of Cricinfo on twitter. He is the voice of Associate cricket/USA cricket and also is best journalist from Cricinfo by far. 

You obviously didn't follow it very closely , because you don't know the difference between Zimbabwe and Scotland when playing or you would have known what you described about bad call and drs was Scotland not Zimbabwe and it would have been them who qualified not West Indies 

7 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

You obviously didn't follow it very closely , because you don't know the difference between Zimbabwe and Scotland when playing or you would have known what you described about bad call and drs was Scotland not Zimbabwe and it would have been them who qualified not West Indies 

Zimbabwe faced a loss by 3 runs where decisions did not go in there favor too, else Zimbabwe could have qualifier. They were unlucky.

You are right, the that was Scotland which had the poor call which did not go in their favor. Honestly, Zimbabwe had a much better side overall. I am all for having more associate teams in the World Cup, which would have made both Zimbabwe, Scotland, including Ireland qualify.

9 minutes ago, Nikola said:

1975, 79 and 2019 big difference in era. Back then most teams didn't care much about ODI's but now with so many t20 cricket we are used to short formats and teams like Afg who are good in t20 but can't convert that success into odis against good sides where as we had already established teams like Zim or Scotland or even Ireland.

You obviously didn't see it in 1975 if you think guys like Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards, Denis Lillie, Rod  Marsh etc etc etc etc didn't care much about it :facepalm:

Just now, Cricketics said:

Zimbabwe faced a loss by 3 runs where decisions did not go in there favor too, else Zimbabwe could have qualifier. They were unlucky.

You are right, the that was Scotland which had the poor call which did not go in their favor. Honestly, Zimbabwe had a much better side overall. I am all for having more associate teams in the World Cup, which would have made both Zimbabwe, Scotland, including Ireland qualify.

Much better side ? Than who ? Not Scotland , they tied their game after the President of Zimbabwe commandeered the Scottish plane , made them wait 8 hours at the airport then allowed them to travel arriving just before match instead of night before . Zimbabwe were also beaten prior to world cup qualifiers by Scotland and of course Scotland have beaten the favourites and no 1 team England since , so they are not much better  than Scotland