What a boring World Cup

Stuge

You can’t control the weather, but you can control the scheduling. Reserve matches should have been added. I like that round robin format where everybody plays everybody. A true World Cup.

What does everybody think of the stadiums fitted with retractable roofs? Cost too much?

11 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

2003? Really? did you miss the epic india matches on the way to the final. 2003 for me was the most interesting WC as we were not expected to reach the finals. 2011 was good yes but we had a stronger team.

Yeah it was good that India got to the final but having hosts South Africa knocked out so early was a blow and then you had the likes of crappy Zimbabwe and Kenya getting a lot further than they should have due to other countries not wanting to play against them for 'safety' reasons. They were two very mediocre/poor sides.

25 minutes ago, poi said:

You can’t control the weather, but you can control the scheduling. Reserve matches should have been added. I like that round robin format where everybody plays everybody. A true World Cup.

What does everybody think of the stadiums fitted with retractable roofs? Cost too much?

Which other sports have WC format like that?

23 minutes ago, poi said:

Forget roofs - every day should have seen multiple matches scheduled - that would automatically free up the calendar for reserve days.  And shorten the tournament duration. 

This schedule was drawn up the way it is, completely based on the diktats of the TV rights companies.  They don't want multiple matches at the same time, because that means their ad revenue gets split. It is as classic an example of the tail wagging the dog as it gets. 

But the ECB dont care - they control the ICC, and their primary objective was to make sure that this world cup revenue would be maximum as high as it gets, what's good for audience, or for the game, be damned. 

Because its seen as a once in 20 years chance to cash in for them.   Audience friendly scheduling, designed to exhibit the game in the best way possible, can be done for next time.

Same logic is driving the creation of their t20 league - they are *ing around and creating new formats - not for "mums and kids", but because a "new format" gives them legal cover to cut out the counties from financial control of the profits of the T20 league.  All the noise around "innovation" etc etc is just lipstick on a pig. 

1 hour ago, Franco Vazquez said:

Which other sports have WC format like that?

To be fair, all other sports with "World Cup" aren't restricted to former British colonies. So, you have World Cups with dozens of countries participating. With Cricket, there are like 3 or 4 legitimate contenders... even with just 8, you have a huge gap in talent and performance.

I think the solution would be to either restrict the world cup to 6 countries and have them play round-robin twice, a la IPL. Or expand the World Cup to 16 countries and have 4 groups of 4. Each group then has 2 to 3 weak teams that get rolled over and result in even more boring matchups.

I think thise 8-team round-robin is fine. May be even narrow down to 6 or 5.

2 hours ago, poi said:

To be fair, all other sports with "World Cup" aren't restricted to former British colonies. So, you have World Cups with dozens of countries participating. With Cricket, there are like 3 or 4 legitimate contenders... even with just 8, you have a huge gap in talent and performance.

I think the solution would be to either restrict the world cup to 6 countries and have them play round-robin twice, a la IPL. Or expand the World Cup to 16 countries and have 4 groups of 4. Each group then has 2 to 3 weak teams that get rolled over and result in even more boring matchups.

I think thise 8-team round-robin is fine. May be even narrow down to 6 or 5.

That's what we had for WC 2007. But we did not have weak teams rolled over though. Two strong teams were sent home after 3 matches!

These things could have been done on scheduling

1) there could have been more days with 2 games. Thus shortening the total time period and introducing reserve days.

2) the games could have been scheduled in such a way that most teams remain in contention till later part of league stages. It would require playing with minnows initially.

i think 99 was the best format.

Edited by Haarkarjeetgaye

This format of the WC made a lot of things clear

This is what I have witnessed in this WC:

Top 3 teams are too strong even for rest of the test nations.

NZ is not on par with the top 3, but is more than capable of holding their own

And then we have the surprise package of this wc: BD seems to be the in between team, even with the sh*ttiest bowling in this WC.

Bottom feeders (somehow SA ended up there) are just not good enough, even to compete against BD. 

AFG, less said the better.

What does that tell you? Skills of top 3 vs the rest is day/night difference. Sad indeed. It was a no brainer that people were able to predict 3 of the semi-finalist (IND/ENG/AUS) before even WC started. If you don't see a problem with that, you probably are on ICC payroll.

Edited by Zero_Unit

Super-6 is the best format for a Cricket World Cup. Hands down. 

It should be ---

15 teams divided into 3 groups of five. 

Top 2 from each group advancing to the super six stage carrying their points forward.  That means every group game becomes equally important. 

Then in the super six stage,  you play the teams other than your fellow group stager. 

Top 4 through to semis.