Dhoni in the middle of India's middle-order mess

SK_IH

1 minute ago, R!TTER said:

I'd rather we crash out before, instead of losing another KO  game! We've already lost 4 this decade IIRC :whack:

Nah Dhawan and Rohit have done enough for us to go to semis. Can't and won't except more from Rohit now and Dhawan is gone. It's all upto Kohli and the bowlers in the knockouts and unfortunately that's not going to be enough. 

1 minute ago, Norman said:

Nah Dhawan and Rohit have done enough for us to go to semis. Can't and won't except more from Rohit now and Dhawan is gone. It's all upto Kohli and the bowlers in the knockouts and unfortunately that's not going to be enough. 

Well we've seen even luckier wins like Oz in 87 or neighbors in 92, Oz again in 99 so who knows.

9 minutes ago, New guy said:

If you see kohlis interview he was parroting Dhoni's words, about how they decided on a low target and stuck to the plan. Kohli is just a puppet in odis. It's the dhoni show 

Sometimes I feel the latter is intentionally sabotaging because another WC win, away from home will take a bit of sheen off Dhoni's own legacy as a world cup winning captain which has only happened twice and only once in the modern era for India 

No, don't think so. If we win, Dhoni will hog most of the credit. Calm presence, valuable advice, brilliant strategist, point of reference for all on field referrals, etc. He has nothing to lose here and only has the opportunity to enhance his myth even more. 

7 minutes ago, nevada said:

No, don't think so. If we win, Dhoni will hog most of the credit. Calm presence, valuable advice, brilliant strategist, point of reference for all on field referrals, etc. He has nothing to lose here and only has the opportunity to enhance his myth even more. 

Looks like Dhoni played his natural game and KeJo played his unnatural game against AFG to keep the total competitive and trusted the bowlers to bail out.

The Pitch was slow, with bounce but not as threatening to warrant that sort of batting. 

Notice all matches recently became exiting or upset the favourite... Ignore SA as they are playing worse than Minnie’s and have mentally disintegrated.

I expect normal services to resume for India  from next match onwards...

6 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Didn't see anyone complaining when he got quick runs against Aussies. 

You don't get a promotion at workplace for going to work everyday for 9 hours,because that's what's expected from you. But you skip work you do get questioned. 

Same logic. He did what any batsman would have done against aus. Nothing to gloat over. But against afghan he was pathetic 

Speaking to India Today after the match, former captain Sachin Tendulkar urged Dhoni to bat with more intent in the future games for India.

"MS Dhoni is a senior player and should show positive intent. Afghanistan's bowling is good but you can't score only 119 runs in 34 overs. He did not show any positive intent against Afghanistan.

"MS Dhoni has the ability to hit but yesterday his strike rotation was not good. He faced too many dot balls and this hampered a strong finish for India. The intent could have been much better by the middle order batsmen.

"I believe MS Dhoni needs to up his ante when it comes to strike rotation in next matches," Sachin Tendulkar said.

Tendulkar also pointed out that the 57-run partnership for the fifth wicket between MS Dhoni and Kedar Jadhav was just too slow and it is one area (batting in the middle overs) where the team needs to improve.

"I felt slightly disappointed, it could have been much better. I was also not happy with the partnership between Kedar and Dhoni, it was very slow. This was one area where we didn't look comfortable at all. There was no positive intent.

Source https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket-world-cup-2019/story/india-vs-afghanistan-world-cup-2019-match-sachin-tendulkar-ms-dhoni-slow-batting-1554761-2019-06-23

For the first time in I dont know how many years, Sachin has spoken without any diplomacy, well done :congrats:

26 minutes ago, asterix said:

Looks like Dhoni played his natural game and KeJo played his unnatural game against AFG to keep the total competitive and trusted the bowlers to bail out.

The Pitch was slow, with bounce but not as threatening to warrant that sort of batting. 

Notice all matches recently became exiting or upset the favourite... Ignore SA as they are playing worse than Minnie’s and have mentally disintegrated.

I expect normal services to resume for India  from next match onwards...

I hope so. The match against Afghanistan was a good wake up call. Despite batting like crap, we still won the match so we learnt a lesson without losing points. 

4 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Source https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket-world-cup-2019/story/india-vs-afghanistan-world-cup-2019-match-sachin-tendulkar-ms-dhoni-slow-batting-1554761-2019-06-23

For the first time in I dont know how many years, Sachin has spoken without any diplomacy, well done :congrats:

Tendulkar always annoyed me with his diplomacy. He is such a great name in cricket that he can speak the truth without any fear with choicest possible words and still get away with it, courtesy Sachin fans. Don't know what he is afraid of.

49 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Didn't see anyone complaining when he got quick runs against Aussies. 

why would anyone complain about someone doing the job they are paid for? What bull **** logic is this? He did well so now he can screw us in all the rest of the game? what if he does this in an important semi or final? Will you still use the Aussie match excuse?

28 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

The innings of both Dhoni & KeJo were so pathetic that it has forced even diplomatic and politically correct celebrities to speak out...

I feel bad to have sweared a lot in the match thread. It was so frustrating... Hope I’ll control myself in future... :sad:

48 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Start a new thread with this post. Would be a guaranteed blockbuster :yess:

First of all, Kudos to Afghanistani spinners for exposing this inept bugger once again :clap2:.  You guys have my respects.

Second, by exposing this the afghan-is have laid out a clear road map for other teams to exploit. With the absence of Dhawan, other teams will now have to pick only one of either Kohli or Rohit and the rest will take care of itself. No need to pick both of em.

If anyone of these two fall, Dhoni will come to bat and the opposition can rest easy. He will suck the momentum of the innings as he has done so many times previously. No one in the middle order has either the power game or can play a consolidator role till the 40th-45th over so that guys like pandya can come and smash at the end.

Shows how much heavy lifting was done by the top 3 and the callous approach of the management to let the middle order rot in the last 4 years.

Edited by Stan AF
1 hour ago, New guy said:

why would anyone complain about someone doing the job they are paid for? What bull **** logic is this? He did well so now he can screw us in all the rest of the game? what if he does this in an important semi or final? Will you still use the Aussie match excuse?

Issue is for you every track is 350 track. No acknowledgement of conditions. WI full of your kind of t20 sloggers were all out for 210 in the same track. 

1 hour ago, Stan AF said:

First of all, Kudos to Afghanistani spinners for exposing this inept bugger once again :clap2:.  You guys have my respects.

Second, by exposing this the afghan-is have laid out a clear road map for other teams to exploit. With the absence of Dhawan, other teams will now have to pick only one of either Kohli or Rohit and the rest will take care of itself. No need to pick both of em.

If anyone of these two fall, Dhoni will come to bat and the opposition can rest easy. He will suck the momentum of the innings as he has done so many times previously. No one in the middle order has either the power game or can play a consolidator role till the 40th-45th over so that guys like pandya can come and smash at the end.

Shows how much heavy lifting was done by the top 3 and the callous approach of the management to let the middle order rot in the last 4 years.

I don’t think Dhoni can’t play fast. He can score quickly or is expert in rotating the strike (he’s done it in T20). I’m ready to buy the argument that he deliberately plays slow with his lunges.. He can increase the rate of scoring if he wishes to... Nobody’s is asking him to hit boundaries. People were angry at the approach of not even trying to rotate the strikes. Same with KeJo, people were angry that he’s not even rotating the strikes, wasting so many deliveries and ambling for a single by not even trying to put pressure on the fielder for a second run... That’s not team India’s approach. All batsmen try to push for extra run and put the fielder under pressure...

That day the slow approach gave me indication that both the batsmen were deliberately trying to play slow to make the match competitive or lose the match. Whether that was under instructions from higher ups, team management, request from ICC or a deal with bookies (Shoaib Akhtar mentioned that good India won else tongues would've wagged of any spot fixing by the the CSK duo), one never know...