Bangladesh - winning hearts, games, and new fans at the World Cup !!!

velu

1190283_1296x729.jpg&w=920&h=518&scale=c

Each time Bangladesh lost a big match till some years ago, the reaction of the die-hard fans was to go the win-hearts-not-trophies route. At this World Cup, though, Bangladesh are winning hearts and games. And they are gathering new fans with their performances on the field.

Bangladesh have attracted full houses in London, Cardiff, Taunton and Nottingham. In rain-soaked Bristol, the house was packed despite the inclement weather. The main reason is obviously the increased expectations in the last four years, as well as the rise in the celebrity culture in Bangladesh cricket. That aside, there is also the small matter of wins over South Africa and West Indies, and good shows against New Zealand and Australia in losses. It is perhaps the underdog factor too; led by a captain who dusts himself off and returns to fight another day after yet another career-threatening injury, the team has an opener who has rejuvenated himself in the last four years, a freakish left-arm pace bowler, a plucky wicketkeeper-batsman, a quiet big-hitter and arguably the world's best short-format allrounder.

Neutrals at most of Bangladesh's matches have tended to support the overwhelming majority of supporters at the ground, the Bangladeshis. The Taunton crowd came up with a local song to cheer on Bangladesh's chase against West Indies, while in Nottingham, there was much sympathy for them as they fell short of Australia's mammoth total.

Shahidul Alam, chief executive of Capital Kids Cricket, an independent body that supports grassroots and schools cricket in London, has been in the UK since 2008. He thought he had seen it all when fans of the tigers filled up the stands during the 2017 Champions Trophy. But the World Cup has come as a pleasant surprise.

"There are thousands of cars in the highway but when you see another car with the Bangladeshi flag, and then another, all heading towards the ground, it just makes one proud," Alam said. "I have been watching Bangladesh tour this country since the 2009 World T20s, but never have I seen so much support. I am sure most are passionate about cricket but it is more because of the Bangladesh team. It is now creating a fan base outside Bangladesh, where many expatriates and immigrants are turning towards cricket.

"Normally it is all football when you live here, and British-Bangladeshis are also fond of it, but right now, I think cricket has taken over football, at least for us."

1190287_900x506.jpg&w=570&format=jpg

Alam is hopeful that the surge in popularity for the Bangladesh team during the World Cup is going to translate to more participation among expat Bangladeshis in local grounds.

"Usually the World Cups have an impact, but for those with Bangladeshi background, it will certainly have an influence on how kids get drawn towards cricket. This is the peak time. I don't think I need to do anything," Alam, who played representative cricket in Bangladesh in the 1990s before switching to coaching, said.

He feels that the day might not be far when a cricketer of Bangladeshi origin turns up in the county circuit, as there are young cricketers impressing at the age-group levels. Robin Das, who plays for Essex Second XI, has caught the eye of scouts, while 15-year-old legspinner Tahmid Ahmed impressed Steve Rhodes, the Bangladesh coach, during a training session recently.

Khaled Ebad Ullah, whose 17-year-old son Ahnaf Ullah bowls left-arm pace in the Staffordshire league, says that kids of Ahnaf's age struggle to train for more than one day every week, apart from playing games over the weekend. There are studies, of course, plus it's expensive. Only a county side can provide quality training for a longer period. But Khaled has figured out another way.

"I hope to send him to Bangladesh to play competitive cricket," he said. "I think he can compete with kids his age at the Under-18 level, and perhaps try out in those competitions too."

Ahnaf, for his part, is inspired by his Bangladeshi heroes, and he idolises Mustafizur Rahman. He has seen most of the World Cup matches and is wondering when he will see them again once the tournament is over.

Mashrafe Mortaza, in the pre-match conference ahead of their Australia game in Nottingham, said that it was "disappointing" that Bangladesh don't tour Australia at all. It is the same with England. Bangladesh's previous bilateral series was in 2010, and there isn't another one till 2023. With the growing fan base in England - extending to Europe, from where many fans have traveled for the World Cup - it is something for the boards to think about. Sold-out venues should be a message strong enough.

to the author ->  lawda ( time to use my hindi vocabulary  :giggle:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27031455/bangladesh-winning-hearts-games-new-fans-world-cup

Edited by velu
13 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Why do those three guys from Aberdeen in Scotland run a restaurant and call it an  Indian restaurant . Just asking !! Doesn't sound to me they Bangladesh that much :biggrin:

long long back was in malmo/sweden for a week  .. went to indian restaurant but it was also operated by bangladesis :lol: 

20 minutes ago, velu said:

long long back was in malmo/sweden for a week  .. went to indian restaurant but it was also operated by bangladesis :lol: 

Here in the UK most restaurants are owned by Bangladeshis or Pakistanis but all have Indian style names and serving * Indian * food , as you know I have been many times in India and we are not served Indian food , btw keep your hands off my bhadji pav only thing I eat in Honest Restaurants :biggrin: Indians here are more common to have shops not restaurants. 

Regarding the cricket stuff in the article it's all bull**it , typical Asian fantasy make up story , nothing adds up or makes sense in what he says about Staffordshire, his son or having to send him to play in Bangladesh.