'We tried to get Rabada not to go to the IPL' - Faf du Plessis

South Africa captain Faf du Plessis has revealed South Africa tried to stop fast bowler Kagiso Rabada to go to this year's IPL where he eventually injured his back and was withdrawn towards the end. Rabada, South Africa's key strike bowler, has taken six wickets in the World Cup at an average of 50.83.

After South Africa exited the World Cup with another disappointing defeat - this time to Pakistan - du Plessis was asked if he felt Rabada's workload had been managed well. Since the start of last year, only Nathan Lyon has bowled more overs in international cricket than Rabada. If du Plessis could have had his way, he wouldn't have had Rabada bowling the additional IPL overs and instead been working on rehab and recovery.

"I don't think we'll ever have a perfect answer for that because he's probably biting on too much," du Plessus said. "But we did try and get him not to go to the IPL; to try and stay and get fresh. That wasn't the case of [course] and then when he went there, we were like, let's try and get him back halfway through the IPL because it's important, not just for him, but a few other players.

"I mean, I spoke about it before the IPL even started, that it's important that we try and find space to rest our three-format players, because they play all the formats all the time, and then IPL. So I don't think it's necessarily just the IPL, but it was important for a few guys to rest; and the fact that they didn't meant that they came into the tournament not fresh. That's not an excuse; that's just a fact."

Du Plessis went on to say Rabada's pace has been down this tournament. The South Africa captain also said he couldn't have rested Rabada in international series'. To do so, you need a second line of bowlers. "That challenge we are going to have as a team all the time," du Plessis said. "You can't unfortunately go back with the national side and say to KG: 'Listen, you're going to rest for the next two series.' He's such a big player for the team; it's a difficult thing to do.

You know, you need guys that can… you need three or four or five bowlers in the wings waiting, so you can have a bit of a rotation system. I mean, that was the plan with Anrich [Nortje] in the back-up and pipeline, and he got injured as well. So therefore all our pace is gone and there's so much responsibility on KG to carry that load of being the lone fast bowler."

CSA, however, can't compensate the players enough for missing the IPL the way CA and ECB do. It is tempting to imagine if AB de Villiers would have retired in the first place had there not been an IPL to go to, where he actually said the IPL was "better than the World Cup". South Africa also lost Dale Steyn for the World Cup as he could not recover in time from the injury he sustained playing the IPL ironically as a last-minute replacement. Steyn's absence has also hurt South Africa, leaving Rabada to do all the striking work.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27042498/we-tried-get-kagiso-rabada-not-go-ipl-faf-du-plessis

Faf again :Cry: about how IPL screwed them.

If they wanted to keep their players fit then why did CSA give NOC to RSA players? Want to have your cake and eat it too? 

First scapegoated ABD and now blaming IPL. Losers :finger:

So only SA players affected by the IPL? Not that they were any exceptional in IPL too. I hope the IPL franchisees kick out these losers at the first opportunity.

All those players who are leading scorers in WC2019 so far also had a great IPL this year...

Faf should re-think about his “processes” which he learned at CSK..,

30 minutes ago, jalebi_bhai said:

Why did CSA give NOC to RSA players? They're centrally contracted players. No NOC, no IPL for them. Ab rone se kya faida?

Pressure among boards not to sideline BCCI . Everyone wants to play IPL .

20 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

Faf needs to stop blaming IPL for SA loss.

Even Warner, Archer etc played IPL and are top performers in this World cup.

See his Post match interview and he said himself he doesn't want blame IPL ,but want players have adequate rest before tournament .

6 minutes ago, Stuge said:

See his Post match interview and he said himself he doesn't want blame IPL ,but want players have adequate rest before tournament .

That is just mind games. Incepting the idea. Like when people say that they're not racist, and then say something racist. 

RSA have been proper tatti this tournament and his captaincy has been hopeless. Khud ko gaali thodi dega.

Quota system has royally screwed SA cricket.
They should take away the quota system and player should be selected based on calibre not on colour or other irrevelant stuff.

This way, white players will not feel insecured and will not migrate to other countries

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk