Rishabh Pant is too hackish to succeed consistently at this level.

(A) He is young and especially inexperienced in ODIs, and (B) He is a better Test player because he does not try and slog every single ball. When Pant is batting sensibly, he is actually a very competent bat. In Aus, he was the second highest run scorer and looked fairly comfortable against good bowlers & pitches. The main issue in T20s and ODIs is that he tries to slog often, loses his shape and plays false shots. Also plays too many dot balls at this stage of his career, which is a big issue in ODIs and T20s. If he can fix these issues, he can become a very good LOI player for us. If not, I still think he will be a top player for us in Tests.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

(A) He is young and especially inexperienced in ODIs, and (B) He is a better Test player because he does not try and slog every single ball. When Pant is batting sensibly, he is actually a very competent bat. In Aus, he was the second highest run scorer and looked fairly comfortable against good bowlers & pitches. The main issue in T20s and ODIs is that he tries to slog often, loses his shape and plays false shots. Also plays too many dot balls at this stage of his career, which is a big issue in ODIs and T20s. If he can fix these issues, he can become a very good LOI player for us. If not, I still think he will be a top player for us in Tests.

+1

When he was there with pandya. We had genuine chance. He has the X factor and English players were visibly nervous. That's the intent. He will develop his game. We need players like him to win. Iam backing him fully knowing he has deficiencies. Just like Raina was a wonderful player for us selfless and went after bowling. We need his replacement. I think pant will be able to do that.

Just now, gooner said:

When he was there with pandya. We had genuine chance. He has the X factor and English players were visibly nervous. That's the intent. He will develop his game. We need players like him to win. Iam backing him fully knowing he has deficiencies. Just like Raina was a wonderful player for us selfless and went after bowling. We need his replacement. I think pant will be able to do that.

I think, at the same age and experience, raina was a better ODI bat and pant is a better Test bat. however, pant is young and hopefully he can address some of his issues and become a better LOI player.

He is surely great talent, but at the moment looks extremely hackish.. I'd still give him benefit of doubt.. He can be the X-factor down the order..  There is a bigger hack in the team - Jadhav.. 

move Pant to 6.. Get DK at 4 

3 hours ago, the don said:

Probably the third time i have watched him bat and every single time i have seen him play a slog a ball for barely a 100 strike rate.
Very un-indian batsman in that he is certainly not easy on the eyes and just makes hitting look difficult as opposed to effortless.
Just my opinion. Thoughts ?

This forum won't enjoy facts.

He's not ready for top opposition.

Edited by Sachinism
3 hours ago, Stan AF said:

He should avoid that ugly leg side hoick/heave.

That's his go-to shot. It's in his mind, he's playing that shot. Whatever the bowler delivers, he'll move across, put the head down and look to hit the ball over his shoulder. It's quite ridiculous and not even necessary.

He had time to get in, yeh the run rate was high, but if he's such a great hitter, he'd have managed it