indian ODI team after wc

depends on what timescale in the future we are referring to. I reckon that Dhawan and Rohit can play until 2023 WC IF they can maintain their form and remain fit. It's hard, however, to make long-term predictions since some great players may emerge or current players can fade away. With this caveat, this would be XI after Dhawan-Rohit:

Pant (wk), Mayank/Shaw, Kohli, Gill, KLR/Iyer/Mayank, Hardik, Hooda/krunal, Gopal, Nagarkoti, Kuldeep, Bumrah

This team has 6 bowling options (6 to 11), batting till no. 9 and all of our 6-8 can score at a fairly high SR.

IMO, the weak point of the above team is Nos. 5 and 7. For #5, we need a batsman who can score singles, play spin well, and alternate between consolidation & attack depending on the situation. At #7, we need someone who can score fast from the beginning and bowl 5-6 overs consistently.

other players to keep in consideration are: mavi, saini, rahul chahar, sundar (as a batting AR), nitish rana (esp if he improves bowling), dubey, gaekwad (backup opener).

Edited by Vijy

What we have learnt from this WC is the importance of creating enough back-ups for all positions. More so for the next WC since some of the current lot are getting on age-wise.

Top 3: 

• Rohit
  • Dhawan (prolly wont play the next WC, so should be pahsed out by 2021 ideally)
  • Shaw
  • KLR (can also play at #4)
  • Mayank

Middle Order:

• Kohli
  • KLR
  • Pant
  • Gill
  • Ishan Kishan (back-up keeper, assuming DK will not be around)

All-rounders:

• Pandya
  • Jadeja
  • Abishek Sharma (can be phased in though T-20s)
  • Shankar

Spinners:

• Kuldeep
  • Chahal (not sure if he will be able to stick around till the next WC due to hsi age)
  • Chahar (this guy has some batting potential too and could potentially play Tests)
  • Shreyas Gopal (again some batting potential, maybe useful in T-20s)
  • Another offie (?)

Pacers:

• Bumrah
  • Saini
  • Prasidh
  • Mavi
  • Kamlesh
  • Khaleel
  • Shami & BK (phased out due to age)
  • Avesh

Some of the younger pacers need to be blooded in soon after the WC. We need to find better options than BK and Shami (who will be past it by 2023). Depending on who grabs their chances, they can be promoted to the Test XI (Ishant is on his last legs).

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

depends on what timescale in the future we are referring to. I reckon that Dhawan and Rohit can play until 2023 WC IF they can maintain their form and remain fit. It's hard, however, to make long-term predictions since some great players may emerge or current players can fade away. With this caveat, this would be XI after Dhawan-Rohit:

Pant (wk), Mayank/Shaw, Kohli, Gill, KLR/Iyer/Mayank, Hardik, Hooda/krunal, Gopal, Nagarkoti, Kuldeep, Bumrah

This team has 6 bowling options (6 to 11), batting till no. 9 and all of our 6-8 can score at a fairly high SR.

IMO, the weak point of the above team is Nos. 5 and 7. For #5, we need a batsman who can score singles, play spin well, and alternate between consolidation & attack depending on the situation. At #7, we need someone who can score fast from the beginning and bowl 5-6 overs consistently.

other players to keep in consideration are: mavi, saini, rahul chahar, sundar (as a batting AR), nitish rana (esp if he improves bowling), dubey, gaekwad (backup opener).

You put Kohli in that list and not Rohit. I have no doubt that Rohit will at least play until WC 2023 if not further and I do not think Kohli will play beyond Rohit too as the former may see burnout with overload of work playing all three formats. 

New generation without Rohit and Kohli will be far from now and probably not worth discussing right now. Rohit and Kohli are still in the stage of WC 2003 of former veterans (RD, Ganguly and SRT). So, we should include them if it is what after WC 2019. 

Rahul isn't cut for international cricket.. he has already failed miserably in test cricket..now failing even in limited over cricket. Even he made runs yesterday, he was a giving an impression that he can get out at any point of time..was never in control..looked like a feeble minded player.. should go back to domestic.. pick Agarwal instead of rahul as back up opener... gill at no 4.. iyer or pandey at no 5... Saini as 4th seamer choice.. rest of the team stays as same.

Edited by Amit228

Can anybody tell me who is a decent replacement for Yuvi/Raina

Actually its coming from the angel that once upon a time we had all our batsman who could bowl spin/medium pace- ganguly,tendulkar,sehwag,yuvraj,jadeja,laxman.Now we are struggling to get even one..all new boys Gill,Pant,Shaw and old ones like suryakumar yadav,pandey are non bowlers..there is only Nitish Rana who bowls trash sometimes and Deepak Hooda who has decent bowling..so why dont we groom Hanuma Vihari who is a good test batsman..any one else in mind

10 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Can anybody tell me who is a decent replacement for Yuvi/Raina

Actually its coming from the angel that once upon a time we had all our batsman who could bowl spin/medium pace- ganguly,tendulkar,sehwag,yuvraj,jadeja,laxman.Now we are struggling to get even one..all new boys Gill,Pant,Shaw and old ones like suryakumar yadav,pandey are non bowlers..there is only Nitish Rana who bowls trash sometimes and Deepak Hooda who has decent bowling..so why dont we groom Hanuma Vihari who is a good test batsman..any one else in mind

Abhishek sharma and pandya settles down at 6 and 7 hope fully. With gopal and mavi at 8,9...then we dont need a bowling option from top 5

11 hours ago, sarcastic said:

You put Kohli in that list and not Rohit. I have no doubt that Rohit will at least play until WC 2023 if not further and I do not think Kohli will play beyond Rohit too as the former may see burnout with overload of work playing all three formats. 

New generation without Rohit and Kohli will be far from now and probably not worth discussing right now. Rohit and Kohli are still in the stage of WC 2003 of former veterans (RD, Ganguly and SRT). So, we should include them if it is what after WC 2019. 

I put VK ahead of Rohit because of the 2 yr age difference and the higher fitness levels of the former. If you read my post, you will see that I acknowledged that it's hard to predict which of the current players will be around.

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

1. Rohit 

2. Dhawan 

Mayank

Shaw

3. Kohli

4. Gill

Shaw

Rahul

5. Pant ( wk )

Kishan

6. Pandya

7. Abhishek Sharma

Nalkande

Anukul Roy 

8. Kuldeep

Chahal

Rahul Chahar

9. Shami / Chahal

10. Saini

11. Bumrah 

Avesh

Mavi

Nagarkoti 

Bhuvi

There should be a place for Gopal I think: he is better in 2 out of 3 disciplines than Chahal

Also, whatever I have seen of Abhishek's bowling is unimpressive to me - I have found Lomror to be a better bet in limited overs matches; I think it's either better to go with a batsman who can bowl (e.g., Hooda, Sundar) or a bowler who bats (e.g., Gopal).