randomGuy

Can Dhoni turn it around in the knock-outs?

2 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Probably he still has it, atleast for the world cup knock outs - as big as it gets?

For that he will have to change his mindset of taking things to the very last over. And we would have to rewind to 2011.

If he reduces the number of dot balls and rotate the strike more, it’ll help. Nobody's expecting him to go all guns blazing...

Most of us have issues of him wasting overs after overs and also denying batting to the other batsman by hogging the strike...

He wastes atleast 2 balls every over... its frustrating...it angers me... Everybody feels helpless (except his sucker fans) at that time... His main aim at that time is not to take any risks and lose his wicket... 

Edited by asterix

As i hv stated earlier we can only hope that he bats while wearing a yellow jursey with afterthoughts of eating biryani with sirni mama.... Nd also if he can somehow see unadkats nd dhawals in English bowlers.. i m keeping my fingers crossed.. meanwhile his PR agency has already started with their fatuous campaign in line of an imminent retirement of lord thala..brace ur self with frivolous tweets nd post of 2011 wankhede six nd countless sad emojis in times to come.. even if we loose the semis with him fluffing it big time.. i can bet my money that lord thala's retirement news will be breaking TRP meter nd India's lose will catch a few lips.. this is what we deserve when we make a player greater than this country.. this hero worshipping culture has done more harm to indian cricket..

Edited by Amit228

He played atleast 2 dot balls every over... Then he uses one ball for a single... that leaves the other batsman 3 remaining deliveries in which he’s to take risk to score boundaries or unfortunately end up taking a single... with invariable Dhoni playing the 5th ball of the over as DOT and then taking a single on the last ball to hog the strike in the next over... 

In the next over he’ll play 2 DOT balls and take a single on 3rd... 

Keeo on repeating this... till we start swearing on that MoFo...

Edited by asterix

He did well in the match against Australia, so we can entertain hopes that he can do well in the semis if things fall into place. Ideally, he should come in to bat with only 4-5 overs left and the score already pretty high and just needing a final flourish. 

1 hour ago, asterix said:

If he reduces the number of dot balls and rotate the strike more, it’ll help. Nobody's expecting him to go all guns blazing...

Most of us have issues of him wasting overs after overs and also denying batting to the other batsman by hogging the strike...

He wastes atleast 2 balls every over... its frustrating...it angers me... Everybody feels helpless (except his sucker fans) at that time... His main aim at that time is not to take any risks and lose his wicket... 

he just dead bats everything straight these days.

Best chance for us will be to bat first. In case we are chasing, our top order should bat at run rate that English are forced to use most of their main bowlers.

No point to expect Dhoni to bat at higher SR against better English bowlers like Archer and Wood.

Short answer - a loud no.

Across 4 WCs, he has a grand total of 2 good knocks, all of which have come only when someone at the other end has dominated. Last one was vs Zim in 2015 when Raina was blazing to a 100.

Add other ICC events- CTs of 2006, 09, 13 and 17 and T20 WCs of 2007, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16..you can count at most 1 or 2 decent knocks. 

So 14 ICC tournaments, 76 matches,  batting average of 36, ZERO 100s, a grand total of one MoM. At best an average career and should not even be counted as the best Indian keeper in ICC tournaments. That will always be Dravid.

This is like asking if Dhoni can become younger in the Semi finals? The answer is no he cannot. There is no magic way of having him make a impact that he used to. 

Dhoni's game will be same.its the target and situation that will change the perspective. If we chase 270ish then his 60 ball 50 will be hailed.if we chase 330,same innings will be cursed. Similarly if we bat first and don't lost wickets at the other end his innings will be questioned. Otherwise he will be hailed as saviour. But he is never ever gonna go out of his method

SL vs India is dead rubber as i don't think Australia will miss the opportunity of finishing the top of the table. So India must give game time to Dhoni (assuming he is still not huffing and puffing) by promoting up the order. This is assuming he has no issues with batting for long periods. He can even give the gloves to Pant and chill out on the field. His job is not just to rotate the strike and maintain decent strike rate but also shepard the inexperienced middle order. This stonewalling approach is highly counter-productive. Adam Gilchrist never took a backward step in the world cup playoffs.  Infact if he shows aggression he can even catch England off guard. If he manages to draw the attention of England bowlers to him, others can quietly build the innings around him. Unfortuntely he draws  the attention of Indian dressing room more than the opposition team. 

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Translation?

Umm i will rather decipher the moot point which thala pans have been harping ..they don't have any alliance with team india their only concern is lord thala nd they are rather perturbed by individual loss that thala has in terms of his legacy.. no tie up to what happens to India's fate in worldcup..nd even if people tears down dhoni appalling performance.. their alliance will remain with an individual instead of Team India.. this is what happens when u promote hero worshipping nd make an individual greater than country nd team..

17 hours ago, rkt.india said:

he just dead bats everything straight these days.

He's bean dead beating for quite a few years, he was never actually great against pace but these days he seems Bumrah level wrt his ability to score!

23 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

These days I find him blink or do something with his eyes. I'm not sure if he can see properly. And you are having big hopes on the knockouts :laugh: Anyway good luck to him. We may need it :lol:

Yeah, he does that eye blinking thing a lot. I noticed it during the IPL also. Maybe his contacts are bothering him.