Imagine the Pressure on Rohit and Virat

Given how pathetic the middle order is when we couldn’t even get a competitive score against Afghanistan when these 2 got out early and almost lost the game.

It’s a Double edged sword. should they attack from the start? Heck even if they get out in over no.35 it’s curtains most times to estimated score.  

Cant imagine the pressure. Just one poor shot or a great delivery from the bowler and it’s curtains for India to get a par  score.

Rohit has scored 4 100s and a 50, Virat 5 50s, one bad game for both in the knockouts is bound to happen unless we are very very lucky.

Edited by maniac
3 minutes ago, maniac said:

Given how pathetic the middle order is when we couldn’t even get a competitive score against Afghanistan when these 2 got out early and almost lost the game.

It’s a Double edged sword. should they attack from the start? Heck even if they get out in over no.35 it’s curtains most times to estimated score.  

Cant imagine the pressure. Just one poor shot or a great delivery from the bowler and it’s curtains for India to get a par  score.

Rohit has scored 4 100s and a 50, Virat 5 50s, one bad game for both in the knockouts is bound to happen unless we are very very lucky.

If one of them does not get a 100, India will not win. We have been reduced to the old days of relying on Tendulkar to bat us to a par score or win a game while chasing.

In fact it is better for the batsmen around them to take risks so that Hitman and Kohli can lock up one end.

I dont even think laying a platform is enough either from these two, one of them has to also bat in the 40-50 over range to help the middle order batting score.

If India lose 2/40 in the 10 overs and both those wickets are Hitman and Kohli, the game is all but over.

Well if they want to be regarded as elite ATGs they have to step up, especially Kohli who many feel has left King Viv in the shadows :phehe:. Rohit too can enhance his legacy by going big, test of his mettle. Many other ATGs were in similar position. Lanka lost the openers cheaply both in the SF and F in 1996 and rest of MO wasn't that great (honest opinion), Aravinda (also terribly sick in Calcutta) stepped up big time didn't he? Yuvraj-Raina won us the QF from a dicey situation, 1992 Pak had a similar quandary with regards to batting and in the final were 20/2 in 10 with both in form openers back in the hut.  

A supporting cast of Rahul, Pant, Pandya, Dhoni, Karthik/Jadhav isn't that bad, just not all-conquering. Dhoni was a great and KLR/Pant/Pandya might finish as great players. Everything won't fall in place all the time, this is good enough to support Rohit/Kohli...and with our awesome bowling they needn't go big, can play more risk free cricket, within their limits. Both our heroes have now been in multiple WCs, combined 20+ years international experience, peak of their powers, easy batting conditions, strong team, no ATG opponent...if they can't step up I will judge them harshly. Pressure is there on everyone, all champions in every sport have had to deal with pressure and many of them weren't/aren't ATGs/flawless. 

Edited by Gollum

So far they have done a great job. Rohit has piled on 4 centuries and Kohli, though he didn't score a century so far, had 5 fifties back to back. I hope they can pull off a couple more performances like in the match vs Australia. While it is true that they bat under pressure and thus circumspectly, they are still good enough to win the match with only partial fulfilment of their scoring potential. 

5 hours ago, Master_better said:

Our middle order is very underated. I think Hardik, Pant, Dhoni, Rahul / Mayank can easily take us to par score in case Kohli and Rohit get out early. Even Bhuvi can bat sensibly when required. 

I wan some of what u smoking 

@maniac I sincerely believe if Kohli can't get a 100 in the SF/F time to let him go in ODIs (but ob won't happen). This is his 3rd WC and he has been an abysmal failure, don't care about useless stats boosters and atm Kohli is just another softie like Amla. Will look like a million bucks in JAMODIs and go missing in big matches. Rohit at least had that tremendous 140 in 2015 QF, irrespective of what happens here he should be our ODI/T20 captain by month end and be given the responsibility (and full backing) till 2023. Even here I will judge Rohit more leniently because he has played a big role in our SF qualification (esp RSA, Pak, BD knocks) like Sachin did in 96, 03, 11. Kohli OTOH has been missing as usual, some useless 50s, barely 1/2 of them being half decent. What say @SK_IH?

Edited by Gollum
2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@maniac I sincerely believe if Kohli can't get a 100 in the SF/F time to let him go in ODIs (but ob won't happen). This is his 3rd WC and he has been an abysmal failure, don't care about useless stats boosters and atm Kohli is just another softie like Amla. Will look a million bucks in JAMODIs and go missing in big matches. Rohit at least had that tremendous 140 in 2015 QF, irrespective of what happens here he should be our ODI/T20 captain by month end and be given the responsibility (and full backing) till 2023. Even here i will judge Rohit more leniently because he has played a big role in our SF qualification (esp RSA, Pak, BD knocks) like Sachin did in 96, 03, 11. Kohli OTOH has been missing as usual, some useless 50s, barely 1/2 of them being half decent. What say @SK_IH?

Virat 50s were crucial against Aus, Pak and WI. Stop under rating him, yes he has not scored 100s but he has been pivotal. Virat's record is such anything less than 100 seems a failure. 

However I still back him to play a huge role in semis

2 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Virat 50s were crucial against Aus, Pak and WI. Stop under rating him, yes he has not scored 100s but he has been pivotal. Virat's record is such anything less than 100 seems a failure. 

However I still back him to play a huge role in semis

Out of those 3 only vital 50 was against Aus. Against Pak the clown ran away despite being not out, that spoils the innings for me. WI was a slaughter. I rate his 50 against Afg as a good one, we would have lost that otherwise. 

He has to do an Aravinda now, no excuse. If he fails that's the end of the road for him when it comes to being rated as among the best. 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Out of those 3 only vital 50 was against Aus. Against Pak the clown ran away despite being not out, that spoils the innings for me. WI was a slaughter. I rate his 50 against Afg as a good one, we would have lost that otherwise. 

He has to do an Aravinda now, no excuse. If he fails that's the end of the road for him when it comes to being rated as among the best. 

I agree on the fact his ODI status needs embellishment of a World Cup classic, otherwise it's a bland record.  I have faith he will

Edited by SK_IH
3 hours ago, Gollum said:

He has already done everything to be rated as great. He has a Century against our arch rivals in 2015 WC. He has always protected the team from collapse in this WC between overs 15-35. He failed against Bangladesh and we lost all wickets.

Whenever there is list of great odi batsmen arvinda de Silva rarely gets mentioned in top 5 or top 10 though his performance was great in knockouts.

Kohli is already GOAT 

18 hours ago, Gollum said:

Well if they want to be regarded as elite ATGs they have to step up, especially Kohli who many feel has left King Viv in the shadows :phehe:. Rohit too can enhance his legacy by going big, test of his mettle. Many other ATGs were in similar position. Lanka lost the openers cheaply both in the SF and F in 1996 and rest of MO wasn't that great (honest opinion), Aravinda (also terribly sick in Calcutta) stepped up big time didn't he? Yuvraj-Raina won us the QF from a dicey situation, 1992 Pak had a similar quandary with regards to batting and in the final were 20/2 in 10 with both in form openers back in the hut.  

A supporting cast of Rahul, Pant, Pandya, Dhoni, Karthik/Jadhav isn't that bad, just not all-conquering. Dhoni was a great and KLR/Pant/Pandya might finish as great players. Everything won't fall in place all the time, this is good enough to support Rohit/Kohli...and with our awesome bowling they needn't go big, can play more risk free cricket, within their limits. Both our heroes have now been in multiple WCs, combined 20+ years international experience, peak of their powers, easy batting conditions, strong team, no ATG opponent...if they can't step up I will judge them harshly. Pressure is there on everyone, all champions in every sport have had to deal with pressure and many of them weren't/aren't ATGs/flawless. 

captain choker will do what he does best in WC KOs, namely, choke (and choke hard). I expect the same of KLR who has been nervous and jittery. my hopes hang almost entirely on rohit, with a quickfire knock from pant or pandya being a bonus.