Jump to content
zen

Will Kiwis win the WC? (WC19)

Recommended Posts

Knockout is a different ball game. Many parameters reset. Good teams do go through ebbs and flows where they win a lot and lose a lot. Kiwis have lost 3 in a row, so would be looking to bounce back. Do they have depth and confidence to pull this off? 

 

  • Pros: Some of the players are in form. Bowling is good, while fielding has been exceptional lately 
  • Cons: Many of the players have not clicked as they would have liked. A few of them have looked good though so maybe it is a matter of time before they click

 

Will be playing at Old Trafford and Lords (if they win at OT). Both venues would suit them as the lower-middle order can come into play on such surfaces. Guptill would be looking to fire after a mediocre tournament so far. Boult and Ferguson can have good days, while the other bowlers have the ability to bowl decently.

 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

Do they have depth and confidence to pull this off? 

Share this post


Link to post

Never know bowl first on green top against Aussies who suck against swing and Boult-southee run havoc and bowl Aussies out for a subpar score. Boom they are in finals which is anyone’s game

Edited by maniac

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, maniac said:

Never know bowl first on green top against Aussies who suck against swing and Boult-southee run havoc and bowl Aussies out for a subpar score. Boom they are in finals which is anyone’s game

Their top order can come back in form anytime ..

Share this post


Link to post

Pressure will be less on Kiwis relative to other teams. Other 3 teams are billed as favorite depending upon whom you ask. Kiwis can crash out or only go up, which can make them dangerous  

Edited by zen

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, zen said:

Pressure will be less on Kiwis relative to other teams, who are billed as favorite depending upon who you ask. Kiwis can crash out or only go up, which can make them dangerous  

That goes without saying for every team in the knockouts.

 

That has been the problem with teams like SA and NzL or even Srilanka in the early part of 2000s who were usually on Autopilot in these events in the league stages.

 

They would smack the hell out of minnows, get a win here and there against big teams and sneak into knockouts where they met with teams with far superior mental strength and intensity.

 

Nzl cannot match Aus here or even India . As I said their best bet is for conditions to work in their favor

Edited by maniac

Share this post


Link to post
 
 
 
2
2 minutes ago, maniac said:

That goes without saying for every team in the knockouts.

 

That has been the problem with teams like SA and NzL or even Srilanka in the early part of 2000s who were usually on Autopilot in these events in the league stages.

 

They would smack the hell out of minnows, get a win here and there against big teams and sneak into knockouts where they met with teams with far superior mental strength and intensity.

 

Nzl cannot match Aus here or even India . As I said their best bet is for conditions to work in their favor

What I implied was that Kiwis are not expected to go beyond the SF so even if they crash out (also lost 3 games in a row), it will not be a big deal for them relative to other teams who are billed as favorites. Therefore, they can play relatively freely

 

I guess, to do well some luck will have to go their way too 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Bhaiyya said:

Since Poyzz have crashed out, 1992 can carry on in NZ's soul :afraid:

Most ppl are expecting Aus vs Ind or Aus vs Eng final. I ll not be surprised to see Eng vs NZ :p:

Edited by zen

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, maniac said:

Boult on a pitch with juice vs our top order :nervous:

 

Our match against nzl will be in Manchester, ICC will ensure a flat patta ..

If we play nzl ,that is !

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, maniac said:

Boult on a pitch with juice vs our top order :nervous:

 

ICC will end up with egg on their face if 2 out of the big 3 don't qualify for final. they may give us a pitch to suit our strengths.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone can beat anyone on a given day but just from kiwi's current form, I would have to say no. They are probably the weakest out of the 4 that made it to semi. I think PAK would have been a better option competitvely. 

Share this post


Link to post

New Zealand winning the world cup would be the worst thing that could happen to the sport of cricket.

 

I have nothing against the side. I'm sure they must have 2-3 average players also. But they are the most non controversial side to exist in the history of the sport. No masala whatsoever. I can't even name 2 players from new Zealand apart from Vettori and Michael Clarke.

 

It would be the final nail in the coffin of this dull rain infested world cup.

Edited by Mariyam

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

New Zealand winning the world cup would be the worst thing that could happen to the sport of cricket.

 

I have nothing against the side. I'm sure they must have 2-3 average players also. But they are the most non controversial side to exist in the history of the sport. No masala whatsoever. I can't even name 2 players from new Zealand apart from Vettori and Michael Clarke. 

 

It would be the final nail in the coffin of this dull rain infested world cup.

I assume you were being ironic, since Michael Clarke is from Oz.

 

If this WC has been dull, it would make sense in a way for dullard team to win this humdrum WC.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I assume you were being ironic, since Michael Clarke is from Oz.

 

If this WC has been dull, it would make sense in a way for dullard team to win this humdrum WC.

Don't be pedantic.

Isn't that almost the same thing anyways?

NZ and Oz.

 

Just like Chinese and Japanese, or Gujarati and Marwari.

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, zen said:

Congrats NZ. What a performance to get into the final! .... Note that if the final is washed out, both teams share the cup

it won't get washed out as per weather. I am expecting Aus/Eng to give NZ a hammering. Aus in particular is not mentally weak like Ind.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, zen said:

Congrats NZ. What a performance to get into the final! .... Note that if the final is washed out, both teams share the cup

That is the most "cricket" thing ever.  What kind of a joke of a sport allows such a thing to happen?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, GeeGaw said:

That is the most "cricket" thing ever.  What kind of a joke of a sport allows such a thing to happen?

Won't be the first time though if it happens .... In 2002 CT too, Ind-SL shared the cup 

Share this post


Link to post

I am still thinking England takes this. I do not see Australia winning tomorrow. Even though history states since 1992 England never beat Australia. Australia is suffering some injuries with there players. No way will they be on there best to beat England. Which means this years World Cup will go to a team that never won it before.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/5/2019 at 6:12 PM, zen said:

Most ppl are expecting Aus vs Ind or Aus vs Eng final. I ll not be surprised to see Eng vs NZ :p:

It is NZ vs Eng .... Practically, both teams are going into the game confident so would depend upon which one takes its opportunities the best 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, zen said:

It is NZ vs Eng .... Practically, both teams are going into the game confident so would depend upon which one takes its opportunities the best 

England will make mince meat of NZ. Another waste of a WC final imo

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, SK_IH said:

England will make mince meat of NZ. Another waste of a WC final imo

Could happen if Eng fires all its cylinders .... I want to see a good game though w/ the one playing the best winning :dance:

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...