rkt.india

1st Semi-final, India vs NZ, ICC Cricket World Cup at Manchester, Jul 9 2019

Big picture

Brathwaite c Boult b Neesham 101. It's been 16 days since that happened, and it'll be 17 days when tomorrow's semi-final begins. For New Zealand, it will be 17 winless days.

And yet, here they are, two wins away from getting their hands on the World Cup. The carping about all the things that have brought New Zealand to this point - the tournament format, the privileging of the net run rate as tie-breaker above head-to-head or any other measure, the washing-out of key matches - is immaterial now.

They're semi-finalists. Just the same as India, Australia and England. Equals, even if they aren't widely seen as that.

When Sanjay Manjrekar asked them who their preferred semi-final opponents would be, after India's win over Sri Lanka on Saturday, Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli were far too smart to give him a proper answer. Manjrekar made his own preference clear - "I would want India to play New Zealand more than England" - and while India's vice-captain and captain may have agreed with him privately, they know there's no such thing as an easy semi-final.

They know all the pressure will be on India, all the expectations theirs to live up to. They topped the league table for a reason, and are favourites for precisely that reason. They have the top two batsmen in ODI cricket, and the No. 1 bowler, and their players have too much experience of big games to treat them as anything but what they actually are: cricket matches like any other, which they are perfectly equipped to win - no matter who they're facing and in what conditions.

New Zealand have lived most of their cricketing history as underdogs, and they will relish being where they are. "People aren't expecting us to win, and from my point of view I think that's a good place to be in," their coach Gary Stead said on Sunday. "If that's the case we can go out there and hopefully play with some real freedom."

That kind of freedom can make any good team dangerous, and New Zealand, for all their recent travails, are more than just a good team. They have a top-drawer pace attack, a group of quality top-order batsmen, and allrounders who give them enviable depth. Form hasn't been a friend to some of their big-name players, but who's to say Tuesday won't be their day?

Pakistan's 1992 revival tour is over, but New Zealand might be thinking of their own version of it. Of being the team that scraped through in fourth place, with dollops of luck on their side, before hitching themselves to an irresistible wave of… what's Kiwi for haal?

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/preview/1144528/india-vs-new-zealand-1st-semi-final-icc-cricket-world-cup-2019

Edited by rkt.india

hester

Starts at 03:00 PM IST (09:30 GMT), Jul 09

PREVIEW:
Commen

Beyond the context of the game - a chance to grab that Sunday date at Lord's - this India-New Zealand contest is best setup through the prism of their two leaders, who squared off in that U19 World Cup semifinal of 2008. Virat Kohli is still the impassioned, exhibitionist leader who bares his emotions on the field. He will yelp, plead, jump and feel every pulsating moment of a contest. While you almost always know where the Indian captain is fielding, Kane Williamson silently drifts off to sweeper cover at times, from where he coldly runs his hoodwink job - often with a silent nod of appreciation or the shrug of the shoulder.

Amidst all the bluster, though, Kohli has quietly married passion and process. He now captains a side that is not fazed by the big-game atmosphere - they are in their seventh semifinal in the last eight ICC tournaments. Over a 50-over contest, it is only the little disciplines that India work on while the rest of the hi-spec parts of their machine - the Rohits, the Bumrahs, the Pandyas - keep purring in repetitive action. Among the few things that can truly claim to have ruffled their feathers in ODI cricket over the last two years are left-arm seamers and the occasionally spicy conditions that stand out as exceptions to the norm.

Therefore, it is to Trent Boult, Lockie Ferguson and the forecasted grey skies that an expectant Williamson will turn to at Old Trafford as he bids to replicate that warm-up win in a game of *slightly* greater significance, one that could see his own captaincy legacy emerge out of the large Brendon McCullum shadow from four years ago. Because if New Zealand can somehow polish off India's cream at the top, they'll know that the middle can be a bit squishy.

New Zealand, understated as they might be, have bigger problems, not least their run of three consecutive defeats heading into this clash. In five of the eight completed league games, Williamson has come out to bat inside the third over, red-lining the team's opening crisis. When the ace No.3 does walk out on Tuesday, expect his opposite number to throw in a spinner at him. Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav and even Kedar Jadhav have accounted for the New Zealand skipper two times each in ODI cricket at less than a run a ball.

Quite apart from tactics and strategy, these games, as Kohli often reiterates, are about handling the pressure and the occasion. There are stalwarts from both sides - MS Dhoni and Ross Taylor - who may be playing their last World Cup, so that allure of the Lord's final will be that much more stronger.

When: India vs New Zealand, 1st Semifinal, CWC19, 10:30 Local, 15:00 IST

Where: Old Trafford, Manchester

What to expect: A partly cloudy day in Manchester with a very slight chance of rain. In the unlikely event of weather forcing no result tomorrow, the game will recommence the following day (reserve day) from where it was stopped. The result of the toss, too, will be taken forward even if not a single ball is bowled on the scheduled day. Old Trafford has hosted five matches in the league stages, with four of them seeing scores in excess of 290.

The run-in to the knockouts saw pitches progressively playing slower and favouring teams batting first. But the semis, set to be played on fresh centre wickets, should offset the toss advantage somewhat. On the eve of the game, the centre wicket had a caramel tinge to it and should generally hold well for batting.

Team News:

India: Bhuvneshwar Kumar's injury midway through the tournament forced India to ponder their batting depth. A 7-11 of Kuldeep, Shami, Chahal and Bumrah with the middle-order uncertainties they already had was worrisome. So they abandoned one of the wrist spinners for extra batting cushion. It is a formula that's left them playing with exactly five bowlers. Dinesh Karthik's lengthy net session would indicate he stays at No.7. India will be tempted to reunite the wristies given the pair's success in New Zealand early this year. If not they'll have to pick one and pair him with Jadeja coming in at No.8. It's a tricky call with merits on each side.

Probable XI: Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul, Virat Kohli (c), Rishabh Pant, MS Dhoni (wk), Hardik Pandya, Dinesh Karthik, Ravindra Jadeja/Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar/Mohammed Shami, Yuzvendra Chahal, Jasprit Bumrah

New Zealand:The scourge of the opening combination has not left Williamson. Scores of 0 and 8 from two innings for Henry Nicholls has meant New Zealand now have three under-performing openers from which they have to pick two. Nicholls could keep his place given India, and particularly Bumrah, appears to has worked out Colin Munro. However, New Zealand aren't too far from a more dramatic re-jig either - which could see Tom Latham move up to the top and Nicholls to the middle, which the latter prefers. Lockie Ferguson, meanwhile, will return to the XI after being rested against England as a precautionary measure over his tight hamstrings.

Probable XI: Martin Guptill, Henry Nicholls/Colin Munro, Kane Williamson (c), Ross Taylor, Tom Latham (wk), James Neesham, Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner, Matt Henry, Lockie Ferguson, Trent Boult

Did you know?

- New Zealand have won just one of their seven World Cup semifinals. India have a slightly better 3-3 record from their six trips to the final four.

- Since the last World Cup, Rohit Sharma has batted at a PowerPlay strike-rate of 74.04. Post Shikhar Dhawan's injury in this edition, he's upped his scoring to 95.77

- Trent Boult has taken more wickets against India in ODIs than any other bowler since the last World Cup: 22 wickets from 12 games at 24.9.

What they said:

"I have understood that roles can vary a lot in one-day cricket, depending on the time you step into bat, and I have been very happy with holding one end and letting guys express themselves striking at 150, 160 or 200 [and] if the team needs, I can accelerate in the end." - Virat Kohli believes him not scoring 100s in the World Cup so far is down to a subtle change in his batting role.

"I think our bowlers have been brilliant throughout this whole campaign. By and large, they've adapted to conditions outstandingly well. I've seen conditions change from first innings to the second innings that's been quite considerable. How the guys operate at the start of the innings and moving into the second half of the bowling innings has been quite different." - Kane Williamsonbelieves the varied conditions on offer at the World Cup have posed as many challenges to the bowlers as to the batsmen

Teams:

India (From): Lokesh Rahul, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli(c), Rishabh Pant, MS Dhoni(w), Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Yuzvendra Chahal, Jasprit Bumrah, Kuldeep Yadav, Dinesh Karthik, Kedar Jadhav, Mayank Agarwal

New Zealand (From): Martin Guptill, Henry Nicholls, Kane Williamson(c), Ross Taylor, Tom Latham(w), James Neesham, Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Matt Henry, Trent Boult, Tom Blundell, Lockie Ferguson, Colin Munro, Ish Sodhi

COME ON INDIA

Edited by vayuu1

15 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

It seems like it will be cloudy all day, go in with bumrah, shami, & bhuvi?

Yes definitely we need all three also if match reduce to 35-40 over we need bhuvi as death bowling option along  with bumrah.

Does anyone know the rules?

What happens if a team starts batting for 10 overs and the rest of the day is then washed out, does the game start from the 10 over mark the next day or is it a completely new game to be played?

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Does anyone know the rules?

What happens if a team starts batting for 10 overs and the rest of the day is then washed out, does the game start from the 10 over mark the next day or is it a completely new game to be played?

Thanks.

I think it will be a continuation. A minimum of 20 overs should be played by each team over the next two days for a result. 

But this rain will favor new Zealand. Perfect NZ conditions. 

Our bowlers will be a handful in these conditions too

Whatever Let's thrash the kiwis!

Edited by Reddysaab

6 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

WTF is up with Rain, NZ and our match ? Again overseas skies, swinging conditions ...Boult can reduce our team to 20-3 in no time..:mad:

their openers are **** too,they are far worse than Rahul and rohit.

9 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

WTF is up with Rain, NZ and our match ? Again overseas skies, swinging conditions ...Boult can reduce our team to 20-3 in no time..:mad:

seriously ..-_-

12 minutes ago, prinzo said:

so will it be better to bowl first

If the pitch is good, we should still bat. I reminded of the Pakistan match. Conditions were overcast but once we weathered the new ball it was smooth sailing.

yes our bowling is better than Pakistan’s but this World Cup has been hard on chasing teams, unless the pitch also has something for the bowlers we should bat first. Let’s see...

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

If the forecast on BBC and Met office is accurate , then we'll surely get a result today. No washout. 

BBC's forecast is not very accurate from what I remember of my stay in cambridge.

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

BBC's forecast is not very accurate from what I remember of my stay in cambridge.

I personally think Met office is quite good at that and it says not much rain maybe just a few passing showers. 

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

BBC optimistic, metoffice pessimistic. I am on team BBC today. 

1 minute ago, Norman said:

I personally think Met office is quite good at that and it says not much rain maybe just a few passing showers. 

I am more inclined to go with Met as well.

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

BBC optimistic, metoffice pessimistic. I am on team BBC today. 

understandably so. it's just that I don't trust them too much. many a time I didn't take an umbrella with me thanks to those effers only to get caught in rain later.

Copied from Pakpassion :phehe:

NZ have been trolling pakistan throughout this wc!

We needed them to LOSE against SA, they won narrowly!

We needed them to LOSE against WI, they won , in heartbreaking fashion with braithwaite's catch!

We needed them WIN against england, they lost!

If only ONE of these games went the way we wanted, pak would have qualified for the semis!

On top of that, NZ trolled us again by getting a point for a washout match against india!

I want NZ to WIN against india, but i expect they will troll us again!

1 minute ago, DHONI_FANN said:

Copied from Pakpassion :phehe:

NZ have been trolling pakistan throughout this wc!

We needed them to LOSE against SA, they won narrowly!

We needed them to LOSE against WI, they won , in heartbreaking fashion with braithwaite's catch!

We needed them WIN against england, they lost!

If only ONE of these games went the way we wanted, pak would have qualified for the semis!

On top of that, NZ trolled us again by getting a point for a washout match against india!

I want NZ to WIN against india, but i expect they will troll us again!

they really think the entire WC revolves around them, even after exiting.