Where is our next superstar?

3 hours ago, Anoop K said:

Dhoni didn't groom yuvraj, gambhir,zaheer,sachin all of them were MVP in those two tournaments. 

I never claimed dhoni was responsible for 90% of the ppl you list here. I gave credit to dada for yuvi.the point is all of these captains were able find new batting talents and groom them for the next big event. Only kohli went with the same 2015 team with even worse replacements for yuvi & Raina.

Edited by IndianRenegade
4 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

I feel we don't need superstars. I want guys like Carey and Smith who can stand u when the pressure is on. Not chokers who fall at the first sight of pressure. Doesn't matter how many runs they score when they fail when they're needed.

I listed Raina as one of the superstars didn’t I?

Guys like Iyer, Pandey and even Rahul are more marketable. Young and good looking guys.

I am sure if they keep getting opportunities on flat pattas they would make 100s too and become stars. However they kept giving that slots to uncles like Jadhav,DK and with a heavy heart I say Rayudu :(( 

Clearly there is a pattern here. I think this same theory was floated by someone else

On 7/11/2019 at 6:45 PM, Anoop K said:

Dhoni didn't groom yuvraj, gambhir,zaheer,sachin all of them were MVP in those two tournaments. 

Yes and 3 of them were also responsible for WC2011. The players that Dhoni groomed like Rohit and Kohli are still struggling to win anything of note apart from that champions trophy 2013. :phehe:

8 minutes ago, Kerberos said:

Yes and 3 of them were also responsible for WC2011. The players that Dhoni groomed like Rohit and Kohli are still struggling to win anything of note apart from that champions trophy 2013. :phehe:

I am also certain that dhoni (acting through kohli) has been behind DK's repeated and baffling ODI selections over the years, despite his long record of non-performances. As dhoni's own performances were declining, he knew that his spot could come in for criticism. Hence, he probably singled out the only other keeper-batsman who is far worse than him (DK), so that karthik can serve as a lighning rod and deflect some of the criticism dhoni would receive. indeed, the fact that many of our no. 4-5 candidates were even worse than he is (or comparably bad) makes me think they were deliberately chosen for their mediocrity to not expose dhoni's failings: shankar, rayudu, DK, etc

We dont need superstars. Look to Bollywood for that. We need players who value wins and the team over their personal glory and who have the mental grit to fight it out in crunch situations. We cant undervalue the players who can do well under pressure. Its a rare gift.

On 7/11/2019 at 5:54 PM, Sandeep99 said:

I feel we don't need superstars. I want guys like Carey and Smith who can stand u when the pressure is on. Not chokers who fall at the first sight of pressure. Doesn't matter how many runs they score when they fail when they're needed.

Cricketers become super stars when they play for India. Carey, Smith both would have been super stars in India.

8 hours ago, Vijy said:

I am also certain that dhoni (acting through kohli) has been behind DK's repeated and baffling ODI selections over the years, despite his long record of non-performances. As dhoni's own performances were declining, he knew that his spot could come in for criticism. Hence, he probably singled out the only other keeper-batsman who is far worse than him (DK), so that karthik can serve as a lighning rod and deflect some of the criticism dhoni would receive. indeed, the fact that many of our no. 4-5 candidates were even worse than he is (or comparably bad) makes me think they were deliberately chosen for their mediocrity to not expose dhoni's failings: shankar, rayudu, DK, etc

You might enjoy this thread :phehe:

8 hours ago, kubrickian said:

We dont need superstars. Look to Bollywood for that. We need players who value wins and the team over their personal glory and who have the mental grit to fight it out in crunch situations. We cant undervalue the players who can do well under pressure. Its a rare gift.

And that’s how they become superstars...

4 minutes ago, Khota said:

A team does not need superstar. They need 11 qualified players doing their job and playing like a team.

Remeber there is no I in the team.

you were the one arguing in the AR thread that every player in the team should not just be good but great! the context of the thread is pretty clear, when I say "superstar" I mean match winners, I don't remember India producing even one since Kohli has became captain. The only position available in the batting line up is 4,5 after Yuvi & Raina got discarded. 

9 hours ago, Kerberos said:

Atleast, you got Rohit & Kohli under Dhoni, what have we got under Kohli? if the top three (Dhawan, Hitman, Kohli) fail, we are pretty much screwed now. It was kohli's job to solve the problem and he has failed miserably. 

2 hours ago, IndianRenegade said:

you were the one arguing in the AR thread that every player in the team should not just be good but great! the context of the thread is pretty clear, when I say "superstar" I mean match winners, I don't remember India producing even one since Kohli has became captain. The only position available in the batting line up is 4,5 after Yuvi & Raina got discarded. 

Everyone should be able to win the match otherwise they should not be in the team. No passengers.