Sign in to follow this  
vvvslaxman

India has to explore other leg spin options as well (especially for tests)

We need someone who can fizz across the blade. Chahal is not that kind of a bowler. I am still trying to look for someone who can land outside the leg stump and the ball leaves the batsman's the off stump.  Our spinners are good. Nobody anywhere close to Shane Warne. This is the best way we can win test series in SENA countries. Huge turning balls. Kuldeep is too slow on certain surfaces. Otherwise his landing, revs are really good. Now that world cup is done. Test matches take the precedence now. Sure we can use Jamodi series to groom youngsters. To be a world beating test side we need to have a strong reserve unit.

Think to win u need fast bowlers 

Shane warne was effective cos of fast bowlers 

also u need good total . And solid batters like pujara 

and a smart captain and coach 

and ... playing spinners at Sydney not green lords 

alas - most wishes will remain unfulfilled 

chahal bowls very well fyi 

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

We need someone who can fizz across the blade. Chahal is not that kind of a bowler. I am still trying to look for someone who can land outside the leg stump and the ball leaves the batsman's the off stump.  Our spinners are good. Nobody anywhere close to Shane Warne. This is the best way we can win test series in SENA countries. Huge turning balls. Kuldeep is too slow on certain surfaces. Otherwise his landing, revs are really good. Now that world cup is done. Test matches take the precedence now. Sure we can use Jamodi series to groom youngsters. To be a world beating test side we need to have a strong reserve unit.

Kuldeep took a 5 fer in Sydney test. Need to be persisted with. Shreyas Gopal can be a good choice too.

There are clearly a number of holes in our team. I don't entirely disagree with OP. I think Chahal is solid but Kuldeep is a better wicket taker (Chahal appears to get much of his success from Batsmen mishitting vs Kuldeep who tends to beat the batsman more). Additionally, having both of them plus Bumrah guarantees such a GD long tail. There WILL be tight matches in both tests and ODIs where you need some runs from no.9 or no. 10. I don't think we should be playing both of them.

I honestly like Kuldeep in test matches. I think he proved his worth in Aus. Yes there are certain surfaces where you might want a fingerspinner vs wrist spinner and the team needs to be cognizant of that and adjust accordingly. BUT, the key to SENA wins, as someone mentioned, is wickets from the seamers, along with batting vs the new ball. 

Kuldeep is a china man bowler. So he is always going to add some value as he is unique. But is there a case for a right arm leggie in Tests? If so Chahal is not the answer. Right now we get by with Ash and Jaddu. But overseas test series need more wicket taking options. That is where wristies come in the picture.

In home conditions, both Ash and Jaddu are top-notch with Kuldeep serving as an able backup.

Abroad in SENA, if we play only 1 spinner I'd rather have Jaddu. he will keep an end tied up, he will field masterfully, and he bats well these days (avg of 42+ since jan 2016 in tests). Kuldeep will be the back-up.

against weaker teams, spinners like rahul chahar and gopal should be given a go.