What next for Vijay Shankar?

1 hour ago, TheWall said:

Should stick to IPL...

Has not done anything in IPL too. He is not suited for even ODIs forget t20. Well built but power of chahal in his shots. Even Rahane generates more force into his slogs than VJ. Should stick to tests and try to break into Indian test team if ever. It would be unfair to say he doesn't have talent as batsman. He has but looks like mental midget.

22 hours ago, The Dark Horse said:

He's a must in tests. But really has to improve his mental strength if he has to achieve anything.

He's not a must in tests. Yes he can break into tests with some determination. Go back to domestics and score big hundreds and 200s. Keep him away from LOIs.Ā 

On 7/16/2019 at 3:16 AM, The Dark Horse said:

He's a must in tests. But really has to improve his mental strength if he has to achieve anything.

by no means is he a must. of the top 6 slots, 5 are more or less nailed in: Pant, Kohli, Chepu, 2 openers. this leaves 6 and 7. Regardless of whether we play abroad or home, I'd rather have Jaddu at 7. he is avg 40+ with the bat both home and away since jan 2016, he can hold an end up with tight bowling, and is a brilliant fielder. this leaves only one position in the top 7 that is free. shankar will be competing with likes of vihari (who also bowls a bit) and gill (arguably a much more complete batsman) for that position.

Needs to work on fitness... lose weight and bulk up .. work on core ... increase 10 kms in pace become 135kmh bowler ... and then comeback ..

hes got a slower one , needs a bouncer cutter ... heā€™s got natural swing .

Ā 

needs to to develop a square game , a mid wicket game and singles ... should look up to stokes ...Ā 

Ā 

he is very very crucial for Indian cricket , Indian cricket doesnā€™t have medium batting all rounders. With this work he can fill in slot 4 which we all want him to do ...

16 hours ago, Vijy said:

by no means is he a must. of the top 6 slots, 5 are more or less nailed in: Pant, Kohli, Chepu, 2 openers. this leaves 6 and 7. Regardless of whether we play abroad or home, I'd rather have Jaddu at 7. he is avg 40+ with the bat both home and away since jan 2016, he can hold an end up with tight bowling, and is a brilliant fielder. this leaves only one position in the top 7 that is free. shankar will be competing with likes of vihari (who also bowls a bit) and gill (arguably a much more complete batsman) for that position.

Gill is not ready at the moment and has technical flaws against moving ball as we saw in NewZealand series. Vihari has a huge short ball problem and his spin will only work in India. Shankar has batted really well in Newzealand and was able to negotiate the swing. Also his bowling will come good in SENA conditions.

16 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Gill is not ready at the moment and has technical flaws against moving ball as we saw in NewZealand series. Vihari has a huge short ball problem and his spin will only work in India. Shankar has batted really well in Newzealand and was able to negotiate the swing. Also his bowling will come good in SENA conditions.

lol Technical problem against moving ball. Rohit/Dhawan/Rahul masters of moving ball? Even Kohli took a couple of seasons to fix the issue.Ā 

21 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Gill is very good against the moving ball. In NewZealand he failed because of nervousness,otherwise he was middling the ball better than other players.

1 hour ago, vaul said:

Gill is very good against the moving ball. In NewZealand he failed because of nervousness,otherwise he was middling the ball better than other players.

Middling the ball is not exactly a measure of how good you are against moving ball. That might tell you about your timing. You should have less gap between bat and pad and should know where your offstump is to leave balls on their merit. From what i saw in Kiwi series, Gill has some gap between his bat and pad and was not sure where his offstump was.

18 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Are Rohit/Dhawan/RahulĀ  good in Test cricket?

Rahul was the opener forĀ  a while. Mayank has just come in. He hasn't played in "moving conditions" either. We never know. From what i see Gill has higher probability of succeeding against moving ball as he plays late. Prithvi shaw on the other hand caught behind 4 or 5 times in the IPL outside the off stump even in India. Imagine him in moving conditions.

7 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Rahul was the opener forĀ  a while. Mayank has just come in. He hasn't played in "moving conditions" either. We never know. From what i see Gill has higher probability of succeeding against moving ball as he plays late. Prithvi shaw on the other hand caught behind 4 or 5 times in the IPL outside the off stump even in India. Imagine him in moving conditions.

Exactly. I trust Gill to succeed more than Shaw and Pant. He looks a sound batsman, probably failed in NZ due to the pressure of a big stage.. We have 4 years to groom him to be the core ofĀ middle order in ODI.Ā 

Ā 

That said, I think Shankar is good for the ODI middle order too.. He got needlessly hyped up as 3D and fast tracked to WC squad that set him up for failure.. He didn't massively fail.. Played one bat shot, got one brilliant delivery.. He has looked solid otherwise.

Ā 

I'd play Gill at 3, Pandey/Iyer at 4Ā and Shankar at 5 to start off the WI series... How they perform over the next few months will determine further course of action.Ā 

41 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

And he failed massively in SENA. I share the same opinion about Prithvi Shaw.

18 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

And he failed massively in SENA. I share the same opinion about Prithvi Shaw.

Playing against moving ball will come in experience. Tendulkar got out to Andreson 9 times. Kohli got out to him repeatedly before fixing it in the next series. You don't get "moving conditions" in India.

1 hour ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Middling the ball is not exactly a measure of how good you are against moving ball. That might tell you about your timing. You should have less gap between bat and pad and should know where your offstump is to leave balls on their merit. From what i saw in Kiwi series, Gill has some gap between his bat and pad and was not sure where his offstump was.

Middling the ball is most important criteria indeed.Poor middling ability indicates higher tendency to edge the ball.I have never seen Gill getting caught in slips.As far as gap between bat and pad is concerned,it merely indicate footwork and tendency to play away from body.Gill usually play very close to body and has excellent footwork for both short-pitch and balls pitched up.

In first game he wanted to score on a ball which was meant to be defended.Earlier he blacked such deliveries but eagerness to score lead to his wicket.

He got out in second game because he was early into shot and ball came bit slower,so he was in awkward position.

Therefore poor shot selection,most probably due to nervousness led to his failure.Most importantly no one backed him.

19 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Playing against moving ball will come in experience. Tendulkar got out to Andreson 9 times. Kohli got out to him repeatedly before fixing it in the next series. You don't get "moving conditions" in India.

Tendulkar got out to Anderson on his fag end of his career when he was declining.

For Gill, It might or might not come with experience .But at the moment, he doesn't have it and Vijay Shankar has it. That's all I am saying.