Had New Zealand won based on boundaries, would public reactions have been the same?

Had Englad   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Had NZ won by boundary count, would there be the same level of criticism for ICC?

• No way. People would have said rules are rules and NZ won fair and square
    • Of course. People would have criticized the rules to the same extent

There's lot of public outrage given how NZ "lost" and England "won" the World cup. Immense criticism of poor rules and NZ hard done by ICC.

I wonder if public reaction would have been the same had NZ won on the basis of scoring more boundaries. Would public have said rules are rules and NZ won fair and square, or would there have been the same level of criticism of rules that we have today

Adding a poll too.

10 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

As the dust has settled, my view has changed. I think cup should have been shared. Not to take anything away from England, they won within rules. But it's really flummoxing to see a world cup winner being decided based on boundaries. 

Yes exactly, I started a thread on that. But, a petition should be signed for the world cup to be shared between England and New Zealand.

8 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

However incompetent ICC is always leading in buffoonery. England eventually won the WC because of ICC's nonsensical rule. 

Had Santner not ducked under the last ball this wouldn't have come up, having said that I don't feel sorry for NZ at all - they used truck loads of luck against us, even if we didn't deserve to lift the trophy!

13 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Had Santner not ducked under the last ball this wouldn't have come up, having said that I don't feel sorry for NZ at all - they used truck loads of luck against us, even if we didn't deserve to lift the trophy!

I am neither pro NZ nor anti England, but a world title concluded in the most inconclusive way.

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

does it say not to use a super over to break a tie ?

Yes. If a match is tied, then a super over will be conducted to determine the winner. And if the super over itself is tied, then the team which scored more no of boundaries will win the match. And if boundaries are tied, then I think it goes to the team which finished higher in the group stage(though this I am not sure, I remember reading a coin toss to decided the winner also somewhere).

according to early rules, the team which lost less wickets was declared as a winner which makes much more sense than who hit more boundaries. There was no concept of super over then. Really stupid rule of ICC. People even get boundaries of edges.

If the super over got tied, they should have ideally played another super over or should have considered no of wickets lost instead of boundaries.