Jump to content
Suhaan

U19 Tri Series in England

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

batting has been looking weak in U19 for the past ~1 yr. Jaiswal and Garg are the only two who seem to have promise, especially Gargy.

How about the fast bowlers? Anyone in the Mavi, Nagarkoti level?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cricket_Fan said:

How about the fast bowlers? Anyone in the Mavi, Nagarkoti level?

Don't think anyone is as quick as Mavi and Nagarkoti in this team. Kartik Tyagi is a good talent. Don't know what pace he bowls at. 

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Tough competition will be from Aussies & Pakistan( some real quicks they r producing).  Other than that no team is India's level currently. 

We have not seen any video our pace bowlers bowl yet. Nobody knew how fast Nagarkopti and Mavi were till the Worldcup. So you never know, this lot could be pacy too.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Cricket_Fan said:

We have not seen any video our pace bowlers bowl yet. Nobody knew how fast Nagarkopti and Mavi were till the Worldcup. So you never know, this lot could be pacy too.

We have seen videos of all 3 pacers. None is at Mavi, Nagarkoti level pace wise. Mavi, Nagar koti were rare breeds. Current bowlers are what khaleel and avesh were in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

We have seen videos of all 3 pacers. None is at Mavi, Nagarkoti level pace wise. Mavi, Nagar koti were rare breeds. Current bowlers are what khaleel and avesh were in 2016.

I think even Porel before injury (leading up to U19 WC) was slightly faster than the Tyagis. Of course, the Nagar and the Mavi were faster than Porel.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Vijy said:

I think even Porel before injury (leading up to U19 WC) was slightly faster than the Tyagis. Of course, the Nagar and the Mavi were faster than Porel.

Porel did hit high 130s in challenger trophy but we are yet to measure current pacers.  I think all three will be around 130-135Ks.  Some good bowlers missing out like Ayush Singh and Prashant Bhati, both left armers.

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder whether prayas ray barman is under consideration for any future u19 squads. he got smashed in the IPL match he played, but judging someone from 1 T20 match is difficult.

Share this post


Link to post

DD junior selectors made a mess with selection of Ayush Sharma.

Quote


However on Friday, when Delhi's junior selection committee picked the squad for Vinoo Mankad Trophy (National U-19 One-Day tournament), Aayush's name was not in the 15-member team led by Mayank Rawat.

Even more inexplicable was his omission from the 13 member standby list — highest in recent years as it's normally restricted to between four to six players.

 

When a source close to junior selection committee was contacted, he gave a bizarre explanation: "Yes, the selectors have not picked Aayush as neither of the trio of Siddharth Verma, Mayank Tehlan and Chetan Sharma (not India international) have seen this boy bowl. Yes, he has been a part of the India B squad but Delhi selectors have not seen him."

When further probed how come this boy wasn't even good enough to be in the stand-by list, the official said: "I think he took six wickets in four matches for Delhi in the National U-16 (day matches). Now what did junior national selectors see in him, only they know."

 

For the record, Aayush was picked in the India B (U-19) squad by selection committee comprising former India internationals Debasish Mohanty, Ashish Kapoor, Gyanendra Pandey along with domestic veterans Rakesh Parikh and Amit Sharma.

 

https://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/sports-news/ddca-exclude-india-u-19-pacer-aayush-singh-from-states-team-scheduled-to-play-in-vinoo-mankad-trophy-5241181.html

 

 

Ayush is a good left arm pace prospect and swings the ball in to right handers.  He was very impressive last time I saw him.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

DD junior selectors made a mess with selection of Ayush Sharma.

https://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/sports-news/ddca-exclude-india-u-19-pacer-aayush-singh-from-states-team-scheduled-to-play-in-vinoo-mankad-trophy-5241181.html

 

 

Ayush is a good left arm pace prospect and swings the ball in to right handers.  He was very impressive last time I saw him.

Delhi board and selectors are good at making messes, and very poor at cleaning them up... now that I think about it, also applies to some parts of the city as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

This Yashasvi guy bats too slow.  He doesn't have enough shots I think.  Our previous U19 batch was head & shoulders above this one. This Priyam Garg guy looks good though.  

Is it live?

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

This Yashasvi guy bats too slow.  He doesn't have enough shots I think.  Our previous U19 batch was head & shoulders above this one. This Priyam Garg guy looks good though.  

This isn't the final squad. They have tried different players over the year and there is still time .

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

This isn't the final squad. They have tried different players over the year and there is still time .

He played in U19 Asia cup last year as well.  He is pretty much locked. I Hope they find a aggressive opener alongside him. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, rkt.india said:

We have seen videos of all 3 pacers. None is at Mavi, Nagarkoti level pace wise. Mavi, Nagar koti were rare breeds. Current bowlers are what khaleel and avesh were in 2016.

Were they ever timed in the video you have seen? I don't trust naked-eye analysis of pace especially by casual cricket fans like us. So I would wait till WC where they would be timed.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Were they ever timed in the video you have seen? I don't trust naked-eye analysis of pace especially by casual cricket fans like us. So I would wait till WC where they would be timed.

No, they weren't but you dont need anything speed guns to see if a bowler is quick. Batsman's reaction also helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Lost to England today. Kartik did not play.  Rotating the squad.

England had lost pretty bad to both India & Bangladesh, & this set of rotated players lost to England, shows lack of bench strength in this squad. I also noticed, p Tyagi only bowled 8 good overs, in the death overs spinners were bowling rather, Karan Lal also bowled well but did not complete quota;something was not right with the bowling on a whole. In the batting the d Saxena took 99 balls for 51, else india would have been 280-290. Now they have a back to back game against Bangladesh.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, nsareen said:


England had lost pretty bad to both India & Bangladesh, & this set of rotated players lost to England, shows lack of bench strength in this squad. I also noticed, p Tyagi only bowled 8 good overs, in the death overs spinners were bowling rather, Karan Lal also bowled well but did not complete quota;something was not right with the bowling on a whole. In the batting the d Saxena took 99 balls for 51, else india would have been 280-290. Now they have a back to back game against Bangladesh.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this U19 is one of the weaker ones I've seen in recent times. I don't see many making it to senior-level int'l cricket except for 1-2 like garg and one of the tyagis.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Vijy said:

this U19 is one of the weaker ones I've seen in recent times. I don't see many making it to senior-level int'l cricket except for 1-2 like garg and one of the tyagis.

This squad is clearly not too strong.  Hopefully we find some exciting players by the time of WC.  Dravid has his work cut out this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

This squad is clearly not too strong.  Hopefully we find some exciting players by the time of WC.  Dravid has his work cut out this time. 

Dravid is NCA chairman now. Don't think he is overseeing u19 or A team anymore.

Edited by rkt.india

Share this post


Link to post

This year PAK U19 looks really strong, they whitewashed SA in SA with both batting / bowling clicking. SA coach even praised One of Pak’s openers saying he is international standard player in the wings ( Haider Ali ). If India needs to be competitive in U19 they need to focus on building a team, currently they are giving chances in a round robin fashion which is fine, but should at least build a core team. I have been seeing since the World Cup, only Yash jaiswal is a constant since Sri Lanka series then Asia cup 2018, Quadrangular 2019 , all other players have been rotated & no core group exists till now. Don’t understand the strategy.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Dravid is NCA chairman now. Don't think he is overseeing u19 or A team anymore.

Officially he is still the head coach I believe they have not delegated the role to anybody else, so if not all the time, he still owns the junior teams.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
This squad is clearly not too strong.  Hopefully we find some exciting players by the time of WC.  Dravid has his work cut out this time. 

They have not given a chance to the team to build as a team, as I mentioned in my earlier post, they have rotated almost all the players every series & only 1-2 are constant, hence no core group exists. The last U19 team had Shubman shaw abhishek mavi & a few more constant & the rest were rotated, not same this time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

Only 5 months left for the World Cup & there is no stable team & no tour to South Africa. The World Cup is in Africa, they should have at least planned a tour there for exposure, it seems the planning this time has gone overboard & they risk losing the cup this time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Lost to England today. Kartik did not play.  Rotating the squad.

This experimentation should stop now, they need to focus on building a team rather than pleasing everyone.

I see the Bangladesh has the same team they played in 2018 Asia cup & we have only 1 player from that team, this tells a lot either they were playing players who would not eligible for next World Cup or they were just overdoing the rotation policy.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

Was looking forward to see Trilok Nag, 6 feet 5-6 giant fast bowler from Tamil Nadu play this U19 WC but it seems he wont be eligible and will pass the cut off age date.  The guy has great potential with very strong built and runs in well. 

 

 

Screenshot_20190730-103045.png

Edited by rkt.india

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Was looking forward to see Trilok Nag, 6 feet 5-6 giant fast bowler from Tamil Nadu play this U19 WC but it seems like he wont be eligible and will pass the cut off age date.  The guy has great potential with very strong built and runs in well. 

 

 

Screenshot_20190730-103045.png

Any videos? South Tamilnadu has some giant folks and most of them go to play volleyball. BCCI can tap into that with their resources.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, nsareen said:

This experimentation should stop now, they need to focus on building a team rather than pleasing everyone.

I see the Bangladesh has the same team they played in 2018 Asia cup & we have only 1 player from that team, this tells a lot either they were playing players who would not eligible for next World Cup or they were just overdoing the rotation policy.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we really need to care about U-19 WC? The aim is to give more people international exposure at a young age. Winning a so-called WC at that age doesn't matter much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Do we really need to care about U-19 WC? The aim is to give more people international exposure at a young age. Winning a so-called WC at that age doesn't matter much. 


Then just play the international tours why even have a World Cup, isn’t ?? World cups are there to give the ultimate challenge to the youngsters which the tours might not give, instils confidence obviously exposure & recognition, that’s a basic premise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, nsareen said:

 


Then just play the international tours why even have a World Cup, isn’t ?? World cups are there to give the ultimate challenge to the youngsters which the tours might not give, instils confidence obviously exposure & recognition, that’s a basic premise.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

But even there exposure of players is the main aim. If winning was their sole aim, they would have played Washington Sundar in the last WC for which he was eligible.

Edited by Cricket_Fan

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

But even there exposure of players is the main aim. If winning was their sole aim, they would have played Washington Sundar in the last WC for which he was eligible.

To be honest, give me one team which does not play to "win", what is the purpose of participation or entering a tournament for the sake of it. There are many ways to give exposure to individuals as i mention with overseas tours, but to test the youth with "super high pressure situations", "expectations", "high emotions", "presenting in front of the media","stardom" etc. tournaments such as world cup's provide these opportunities. Having said that, dravid had a clear objective, "winning" should not be the sole objective, that's fine, but over abundance of rotation poses a risk to be even "competitive" in such high pressure tournaments, especially when we are the defending champions, there should be some preference given to defend the title at-least, which clearly doesn't look like there is for now based on an outsider observation of what's happening.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, nsareen said:

To be honest, give me one team which does not play to "win", what is the purpose of participation or entering a tournament for the sake of it. There are many ways to give exposure to individuals as i mention with overseas tours, but to test the youth with "super high pressure situations", "expectations", "high emotions", "presenting in front of the media","stardom" etc. tournaments such as world cup's provide these opportunities. Having said that, dravid had a clear objective, "winning" should not be the sole objective, that's fine, but over abundance of rotation poses a risk to be even "competitive" in such high pressure tournaments, especially when we are the defending champions, there should be some preference given to defend the title at-least, which clearly doesn't look like there is for now based on an outsider observation of what's happening.

As I said above, I don’t think Dravid or BCCI takes U-19 WC serious enough to put an effort to defend it. To me, its just a vanity tournament and level of competition is way below even Ranji cricket. So to my understanding, they are trying out all the players they think who are good enough, then find a final team out of that and give them an opportunity to go out and play a ‘WC’. 

Share this post


Link to post
As I said above, I don’t think Dravid or BCCI takes U-19 WC serious enough to put an effort to defend it. To me, its just a vanity tournament and level of competition is way below even Ranji cricket. So to my understanding, they are trying out all the players they think who are good enough, then find a final team out of that and give them an opportunity to go out and play a ‘WC’. 


I tend to disagree, skills application might be less but it’s pretty competitive at the level played & you don’t get to see many one sided games. Players from U19 have represented national teams sooner than rot in the domestic setup for years, even if they are less in numbers, but opportunity to identify & fast track exists. So I consider it a launch pad for those who might have not got the opportunities otherwise, especially at a global level. Even A teams do not get the kind of visibility & audience as the U19 world cups.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Any videos? South Tamilnadu has some giant folks and most of them go to play volleyball. BCCI can tap into that with their resources.

saw him bowl yesterday under speed guns in TNPL, speed guns were showing 128-133 though he was hurrying them on their shots.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...