Art of resurrecting back to back collapses on a tough pitch

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Even the highlights is so absorbing. I remember what a tough pitch it was to bat on.  Dravid put on a master class.

not coincidentally, I think dravid attained his peak test avg of 59+ in this period. By 2006, I feel he was close to his very peak. at that time, I thought he would end with a career avg of 56-58, but his decline was gradual and prolonged.

PS: the above innings was a great one and a matchwinning one too. even lara and chanders struggled on that pitch. kumble played a typically gutsy knock.

Edited by Vijy

I don't say Kohli doesn't play well in both innings. He has already had played well in both innings of  a test a few times. But Dravid played more decisive match  winning twin innings. It requires great temperament to retain the focus in the 2nd innings as well.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=runs;team=6;template=results;type=batting;view=match

13 minutes ago, Vijy said:

not coincidentally, I think dravid attained his peak test avg of 59+ in this period. By 2006, I feel he was close to his very peak. at that time, I thought he would end with a career avg of 56-58, but his decline was gradual and prolonged.

PS: the above innings was a great one and a matchwinning one too. even lara and chanders struggled on that pitch. kumble played a typically gutsy knock.

Yes. He was at peak of his powers !!

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

From 2007 to 2012, he averaged around 40-42. Dravid's ups and downs were like ponting. Both were at their best during 2002-2006.

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

From 2007 to 2012, he averaged around 40-42. Dravid's ups and downs were like ponting. Both were at their best during 2002-2006.

I agree that Dravid and Punter had rather similar trajectories.

By most players standards, 40-42 is good. But compared to peak Dravid it was a decline. that's why I wrote the decline was "gradual and prolonged".

46 minutes ago, Cricspin said:

Give us two players half of Dravid in technique and character.. Add in some modern flair .. put them at No.4 and No.5 in tests.. Team will look solid to me.

PUjara is the closest we get. He proved that in the OZ series with incredible temperament.

^ You may be right. For me pleaseing to eye requires few basics

1. cricket strokes should look like as text book as can be.

2. Player should be playing as close to his body and as late as possible. 

3. Shots are timing

4. There has to be a ideal physique, Not stocky , Not very tall.

Bottom line, You want it to compare it like watching dance. Dancer has to be of certain shape, certain size, certain dexeterity and then you start looking into technical aspects of dance

14 hours ago, mishra said:

I have never seen any bat as pleasing to eye and technically correct as Dravid. Not even Sachin, Lara, Gavaskar, Ponting. Closest was Lara when it came to watching a bat

Of this lot, only Lara was known for his elegance. Sachin (and Sunny to a very slightly lesser extent) possessed impeccable technical ability, which is different from elegance. Ponting was not an elegant batsman: he was a bustling, energetic and forceful batsman with pleasing shot-making skills.

examples of batsmen who can be called elegance include laxman, mark waugh, damien martyn, kane, david gower, mahela, and above them... one and only chanderpaul.

Laxman was a touch player. YOu won't see too many movements. Dravid on the other hand bends, crouches, moves back and across he does all kind of lovely things before he meets the ball. Guys like Laxman, Inzamam, STephen Fleming don't have that many body movements. They just let the bat  swing through the line. Body is generally static.  Dravid and Lara have exaggerated body movements. Even Yuvraj singh. But it is good to watch though.

Edited by vvvslaxman
1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

Laxman was a touch player. YOu won't see too many movements. Dravid on the other hand bends, crouches, moves back and across he does all kind of lovely things before he meets the ball. Guys like Laxman, Inzamam, STephen Fleming don't have that many body movements. They just let the bat  swing through the line. Body is generally static.  Dravid and Lara have exaggerated body movements. Even Yuvraj singh. But it is good to watch though.

Laxman didn't move a lot against pace and this is why he was good on hard & bouncy pitches, but not on pitches with swing (where footwork is a must). but, laxman did move a lot against spinners. he used his feet beautifully to them - plenty of examples against warne in that monumental 281. Inzy is more of a touch player against all types of bowling.