WTF liquor prices in India

cowboysfan

4 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

On my trips to Ahmedabad , when in a permit liquor store I nearly died when seeing  bottles of our Scotch Whisky costing £20 back home was £220 :facepalm:

in 5 star hotels , they put their own price :lol: 

usually scotchs like black label , chivas cost 35/36$ ( 12 years ) .. glenfiddich 50$ 

47 minutes ago, velu said:

@cowboysfan  are you preparing your own cocktail ? :woot:

imported liquor carry 100% import duty , way too high ..

in airports every passenger is allowed to buy 2 liters duty free

I was just browsing and figured to check prices in india.Negroni is my favorite cocktail and i was shocked to see the price of Campari was almost 90 dollars in india.

58 minutes ago, velu said:

in 5 star hotels , they put their own price :lol: 

usually scotchs like black label , chivas cost 35/36$ ( 12 years ) .. glenfiddich 50$ 

Used to have a client where chicas regal was made , very small town , thousands of wooden casks and loads of wooden store houses , the whole town smelt of whisky 24/7 :biggrin:

It was actually chivas regal I was looking at in the Ahmedabad permit store , hotels I have stayed in Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore weren't too bad for prices . I am a vodka drinker wouldn't touch that Scotch Whisky rubbish :biggrin:

In a way it highlights the fact that India's shallow tax payer base means ridiculous import duties is a means for gov to make money.

When i visit India, literally there is a long line of relatives who want booze. Black label being the most sought after. We usually end up purchasing extra booze at duty free.

As far as cocktails go, try something with vodka which you get desi brands. Vodka lemonade and lime.... 

and ah yes I forgot, you get decent rum in India. Try a mojito.

Plenty of weddings I went to had that as the cocktail option. Is good for the weather as well. Especially in Mumbai.

I think you can get Havana club 70cl for like Rs1500 in India which is reasonable. Rest of the items like mint n lime are dirt cheap.

2 hours ago, G_B_ said:

In a way it highlights the fact that India's shallow tax payer base means ridiculous import duties is a means for gov to make money.

When i visit India, literally there is a long line of relatives who want booze. Black label being the most sought after. We usually end up purchasing extra booze at duty free.

As far as cocktails go, try something with vodka which you get desi brands. Vodka lemonade and lime.... 

or a white russian.pro tip-use heavy cream and dont mix it all in but rather let the cream  float on top.

9 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

One sip and difference is evident. 

Exactly! I hardly ever prefer desi liquor unless it's extremely authentic or rich. Most of the indian liquor brands suck compared to their foreign Counterparts. Eg. Liquor in TN is unbearable.