Jonty Rhodes applies for Team India's fielding coach job

Stuge

Rhodes was a great fielder.  Not sure he would make the best fielding coach for India though.

The job of a fielding coach is unglamorous - the primary responsibility is to design and conduct regular drills and practice sessions for the entire squad.   This is not a job where a high profile former player can come in, and "inspire" better performance by mentoring and speechifying.  

Jonty is at a phase in his life where he's probably trying to re-start a coaching career - and a high-profile gig with the Indian team, even in the secondary role of fielding coach, would instantly plug him into the latest goings-on in Int'l cricket.  

He's a legend, but I don't think he's the right man for the job. 

33 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Rhodes was a great fielder.  Not sure he would make the best fielding coach for India though.

The job of a fielding coach is unglamorous - the primary responsibility is to design and conduct regular drills and practice sessions for the entire squad.   This is not a job where a high profile former player can come in, and "inspire" better performance by mentoring and speechifying.  

Jonty is at a phase in his life where he's probably trying to re-start a coaching career - and a high-profile gig with the Indian team, even in the secondary role of fielding coach, would instantly plug him into the latest goings-on in Int'l cricket.  

He's a legend, but I don't think he's the right man for the job. 

Did decent job for Mumbai Indians. Just get him in man. Added benefit is he seems to love India genuinely and not just money. So may take the job seriously unlike some freeloaders.

27 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Did decent job for Mumbai Indians. Just get him in man. Added benefit is he seems to love India genuinely and not just money. So may take the job seriously unlike some freeloaders.

I hear where you are coming from - Jonty's a genuine guy with sincere affection for India.  But it simply doesn't pass the smell test.  why does a guy like that, who can be raking it in simply by flying in and out as 'consultant' for the umpteen leagues, want to make a full-time commitment that would be required of an Indian team coach?  Especially for the lowly role of fielding coach.  

Its because he sees it as a pathway to a more senior role.  I can't help but be skeptical of his motives and degree of commitment.  I want to see a guy who's more proven in terms of teaching the science and skill of fielding at a high level.  

13 hours ago, sandeep said:

I hear where you are coming from - Jonty's a genuine guy with sincere affection for India.  But it simply doesn't pass the smell test.  why does a guy like that, who can be raking it in simply by flying in and out as 'consultant' for the umpteen leagues, want to make a full-time commitment that would be required of an Indian team coach?  Especially for the lowly role of fielding coach.  

Its because he sees it as a pathway to a more senior role.  I can't help but be skeptical of his motives and degree of commitment.  I want to see a guy who's more proven in terms of teaching the science and skill of fielding at a high level.  

Exactly. People always assume that great players will transition into great coaches. Greg Chappell, Kapil Dev even Diego Maradona are live examples in front of us that says otherwise. IPL coaching is just a 2 months gig and the requirements are way different from international cricket. To me,Sridhar has done a great job with all the available resources he got ( no coach can make unathletic folks like Kedar great fielders at the age of 34!). We need to improve our slip fielding in test though but I don't know how good the credentials of Jonty as a coach in it . Slips have a very small role in IPL fielding.

14 hours ago, sandeep said:

Jonty has been fielding coach for South Africa, Pakistan and Mumbai Indians. No doubt he is looking at this as a stepping stone to a more senior role, of course. That's going to be true for most assistant coaches who have any ambition. 

But Jonty has earned his bread as a fielding coach- he has a strong resume as a fielding coach. It's not like he's looking to go straight from being a great fielder to India's fielding coach. 

Edited by kosingh
3 hours ago, kosingh said:

Jonty has been fielding coach for South Africa, Pakistan and Mumbai Indians. No doubt he is looking at this as a stepping stone to a more senior role, of course. That's going to be true for most assistant coaches who have any ambition. 

But Jonty has earned his bread as a fielding coach- he has a strong resume as a fielding coach. It's not like he's looking to go straight from being a great fielder to India's fielding coach. 

Its a very different job - being fielding coach for a few weeks for a T20 team, as opposed to a multi-year contract with a national team, especially one with India's busy calendar.  The job demands unselfish toil, away from the spotlight. 

Let's call a spade a spade - Jonty would gain a lot more by being Indian fielding coach, than the team would, from him.  Forget his motivations - I want somebody who's going to bust their ass, working hard day in day out, running drills for the Indian team.  I don't see a "star" like Jonty doing that, for any sort of extended timeframe.  I would love to hire him for a short-term consultancy though - maybe a month or 2.   

In fact, that would be the best case scenario - hire the guy for 2 or 3 months, and have at least 2 Indian fielding coaches be his assistants - guys who have gotten certified as coaches, and are prepared to do the hard yards.  Then its a win-win - you can have one of those assistants take over fulltime, send the other one down to NCA, to work with the fringe players, as well as with other assistant coaches.  

Edited by sandeep
On 7/27/2019 at 1:38 AM, sandeep said:

Its a very different job - being fielding coach for a few weeks for a T20 team, as opposed to a multi-year contract with a national team, especially one with India's busy calendar.  The job demands unselfish toil, away from the spotlight. 

Let's call a spade a spade - Jonty would gain a lot more by being Indian fielding coach, than the team would, from him.  Forget his motivations - I want somebody who's going to bust their ass, working hard day in day out, running drills for the Indian team.  I don't see a "star" like Jonty doing that, for any sort of extended timeframe.  I would love to hire him for a short-term consultancy though - maybe a month or 2.   

In fact, that would be the best case scenario - hire the guy for 2 or 3 months, and have at least 2 Indian fielding coaches be his assistants - guys who have gotten certified as coaches, and are prepared to do the hard yards.  Then its a win-win - you can have one of those assistants take over fulltime, send the other one down to NCA, to work with the fringe players, as well as with other assistant coaches.  

What makes you say that? Gary Kirsten was a thorough professional and he did a pretty decent job as a coach. It is reasonable to expect the same professionalism from Rhodes as well.

On 7/27/2019 at 1:38 AM, sandeep said:

Your entire post is based on assumption with no credible example or evidence  to share. Rhodes is no newbie to coaching. Even if he applies for Indian head Coach job for future how is it wrong? 

5 hours ago, Pollack said:

Your entire post is based on assumption with no credible example or evidence  to share. Rhodes is no newbie to coaching. Even if he applies for Indian head Coach job for future how is it wrong? 

I am less negative about Rhodes as Head Coach than as fielding coach.  If you understand this, then the rest of it will start to make sense.  You know what they say when you assume...