WI v IND: 5 Things to look forward to

After the talks of split captaincy, new coach, support staff send-offs and plenty of conspiracy rift theories later, a near-full-strength Indian squad prepares to leave for the tour to West Indies with plenty on their mind.

With the Test Championship starting, India who have had a stellar time in the longer format of the game, would want to begin the season well. As for the limited-overs format, it’s time for some introspection.

The squad named by the selectors may or may not be to the liking of one and all but they have tried to address issues that have plagued the Men in Blue for quite a while. 

So what do the Indian cricket fans have in store for them looking ahead at the West Indies tour?

Here we have a look at five things that people will be eager to see in the tour to the Caribbean Islands.

1)    India’s T20I batting approach:

For a side bereft with talented stroke-makers and good hitters of the cricket ball, India have somehow always played an ODI XI for a major part of their assignments. With no MS Dhoni, it was an ideal time to blood in some youngsters who can give the batting a bit more fire and the selectors have done just that. There are as many as eight new faces in the squad from the last time India played a T20I against Australia earlier this year.

The likes of Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey don’t quite send shivers down the line of the opposition bowlers but given the success that the Indian top order has, it is hard to see them get a substantial time to bat and show off their skills. Unless of course, India decides to go all aggressive, it should make for very good viewing and give India a glimpse of the game they must play in the two upcoming T20 World Cups.

2)     Rahul Chahar’s chance to shine:

Rahul Chahar will go to the West Indies on the back of an impressive showing in the IPL and with recent form behind him. In the second Test against Sri Lanka A, he picked up a six-wicket haul and also scored a vital fifty for India A to set up their 2-0 win. His inclusion with the two regular wrist spinners, Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal rested from the T20Is, gives him a golden chance to prove his worth in the shortest format of the game and stake a claim for a regular spot in the side.

3)    The perennial No. 4 conundrum: 

It’s almost as if every time someone one mentions India, No. 4 in ODIs gets mentioned with it as a not-so-compliment. Such has been the talk and the experiments for the place that it has left most of the contenders in a jeopardy – two retired (Yuvraj Singh, Ambati Rayudu), one injured (Vijay Shankar), one who should have played at No. 4 but was hardly backed, opting out of the tour (MS Dhoni) and KL Rahul who might go back to being a back-up opener after being asked to bat at No. 4 at the start of the World Cup.

Phew! It’s been a mess.

After all the hoopla around it, it is time the selectors nailed the spot with a consistent run being given to players. Iyer talked about the same thing before leaving for West Indies.

“If you are really a good talent, then you need a certain amount of chances to prove yourself and get acclimatized to the conditions,” Iyer said to PTI and he’s not wrong.

In the three games in West Indies, it will be interesting to see what roles are assigned to the likes of Pandey, Iyer and Pant since the three are likely to part of the core that features in the 2023 50-over World Cup.

4)    The form of the two wrist spinners: 

A lot of noise was made about the two Indian wrists spinners wreaking havoc in the World Cup but none of it materialized. Despite playing on slower wickets with a bit of assistance, neither of the two spinners were amongst the wickets regularly. In fact, towards the end, it was Ravindra Jadeja who was preferred for the batting that he offered.

Come the West Indies series, the pair might want to get back to their lethal best together and put in enough good performances to get back the confidence and backing of the team management.

5)    Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane’s form:

It sounds silly to talk about the Test form of Cheteshwar Pujara and Ajinkya Rahane but both have some issues to take care of. 

Pujara averages just 31 in three Tests in West Indies with the highest score of 46 while Ajinkya Rahane who averages 121.50 with a ton and a fifty in four Tests, his recent Test form and county-run though doesn’t inspire much confidence.

West Indies may not be a dominant-side but you take them lightly and they can dent your hopes before you know it, ask England who were shot out for just 77 on their recent tour where they lost the Test series 2-1 with the Windies pacers breathing fire.

The official broadcasters have for once, got the tag right, the series is going to ‘Fast and Furious’ with plenty to see for the fans of the game, worldwide.

Link - https://livecriconline.com/wi-v-ind-5-things-to-look-forward-to/

Rohit Sharma cementing himself in the test 11 @ no 5 or no 6. Rohit should be given 7 tests consecutively 2 vs WI, 3 vs SA & 2 vs Bang. If Rahul fails again we can try him as opener as Test also.

Please note if V Sehwag can so can Rohit Sharma. Rohit also has a superior back foot game.

Rohit should not be dropped after 1 or 2 games like has happened in the past. This is the reason he can't settle. In terms sheer cricketing ability there is no contest between him and other Indian bats currently in team.

I will be honest I rather watch Rohit Sharma bat than all the boring batsman like Rahane, Pujara. They bat slow but we get same result we lose (Apart from Aus series) like SA & Eng away series. Please note I am talking about away series. At home India is pretty much invincible.

Rahane only did well in his first 2 years of test cricket. Has not done much since. 

6th Batsman slot should be between Rahane & Vihari if we play 6 batsman, I won't.

I would also like the tailenders go for the attacking option, they get out anyway by defending. This way they can develop a attacking style of cricket. All other teams tailenders attack rather than defend.

First 11 vs West Indies Test Match:

M Agarwal

KL Rahul

C Pujara

V Kohli (C)

R Sharma

R Pant (WK)

R Ashwin

R Jadeja

M Shami

I Sharma

J Bumrah

21 hours ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

If its fast and Bouncy I would go with one more batsmen in Hanuma Vihari,and drop jadeja..Ashwin always plays well in first test and he was in good form in county..Vihari can act as the reserve spinner and bowl 7-8 overs

Edited by neel roy
On 7/29/2019 at 12:16 PM, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Rohit Sharma cementing himself in the test 11 @ no 5 or no 6. Rohit should be given 7 tests consecutively 2 vs WI, 3 vs SA & 2 vs Bang. If Rahul fails again we can try him as opener as Test also.

Please note if V Sehwag can so can Rohit Sharma. Rohit also has a superior back foot game.

Rohit should not be dropped after 1 or 2 games like has happened in the past. This is the reason he can't settle. In terms sheer cricketing ability there is no contest between him and other Indian bats currently in team.

I will be honest I rather watch Rohit Sharma bat than all the boring batsman like Rahane, Pujara. They bat slow but we get same result we lose (Apart from Aus series) like SA & Eng away series. Please note I am talking about away series. At home India is pretty much invincible.

Rahane only did well in his first 2 years of test cricket. Has not done much since. 

6th Batsman slot should be between Rahane & Vihari if we play 6 batsman, I won't.

I would also like the tailenders go for the attacking option, they get out anyway by defending. This way they can develop a attacking style of cricket. All other teams tailenders attack rather than defend.

M Agarwal

KL Rahul

C Pujara

V Kohli (C)

R Sharma

R Pant (WK)

R Ashwin

R Jadeja

M Shami

I Sharma

J Bumrah

Pujara does not bat slow . He bats for the game . In tests he is correctly aggressive 

On 7/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

After the talks of split captaincy, new coach, support staff send-offs and plenty of conspiracy rift theories later, a near-full-strength Indian squad prepares to leave for the tour to West Indies with plenty on their mind.

With the Test Championship starting, India who have had a stellar time in the longer format of the game, would want to begin the season well. As for the limited-overs format, it’s time for some introspection.

The squad named by the selectors may or may not be to the liking of one and all but they have tried to address issues that have plagued the Men in Blue for quite a while. 

So what do the Indian cricket fans have in store for them looking ahead at the West Indies tour?

Here we have a look at five things that people will be eager to see in the tour to the Caribbean Islands.

1)    India’s T20I batting approach:

For a side bereft with talented stroke-makers and good hitters of the cricket ball, India have somehow always played an ODI XI for a major part of their assignments. With no MS Dhoni, it was an ideal time to blood in some youngsters who can give the batting a bit more fire and the selectors have done just that. There are as many as eight new faces in the squad from the last time India played a T20I against Australia earlier this year.

The likes of Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey don’t quite send shivers down the line of the opposition bowlers but given the success that the Indian top order has, it is hard to see them get a substantial time to bat and show off their skills. Unless of course, India decides to go all aggressive, it should make for very good viewing and give India a glimpse of the game they must play in the two upcoming T20 World Cups.

2)     Rahul Chahar’s chance to shine:

Rahul Chahar will go to the West Indies on the back of an impressive showing in the IPL and with recent form behind him. In the second Test against Sri Lanka A, he picked up a six-wicket haul and also scored a vital fifty for India A to set up their 2-0 win. His inclusion with the two regular wrist spinners, Kuldeep Yadav and Yuzvendra Chahal rested from the T20Is, gives him a golden chance to prove his worth in the shortest format of the game and stake a claim for a regular spot in the side.

3)    The perennial No. 4 conundrum: 

It’s almost as if every time someone one mentions India, No. 4 in ODIs gets mentioned with it as a not-so-compliment. Such has been the talk and the experiments for the place that it has left most of the contenders in a jeopardy – two retired (Yuvraj Singh, Ambati Rayudu), one injured (Vijay Shankar), one who should have played at No. 4 but was hardly backed, opting out of the tour (MS Dhoni) and KL Rahul who might go back to being a back-up opener after being asked to bat at No. 4 at the start of the World Cup.

Phew! It’s been a mess.

After all the hoopla around it, it is time the selectors nailed the spot with a consistent run being given to players. Iyer talked about the same thing before leaving for West Indies.

“If you are really a good talent, then you need a certain amount of chances to prove yourself and get acclimatized to the conditions,” Iyer said to PTI and he’s not wrong.

In the three games in West Indies, it will be interesting to see what roles are assigned to the likes of Pandey, Iyer and Pant since the three are likely to part of the core that features in the 2023 50-over World Cup.

4)    The form of the two wrist spinners: 

A lot of noise was made about the two Indian wrists spinners wreaking havoc in the World Cup but none of it materialized. Despite playing on slower wickets with a bit of assistance, neither of the two spinners were amongst the wickets regularly. In fact, towards the end, it was Ravindra Jadeja who was preferred for the batting that he offered.

Come the West Indies series, the pair might want to get back to their lethal best together and put in enough good performances to get back the confidence and backing of the team management.

5)    Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane’s form:

It sounds silly to talk about the Test form of Cheteshwar Pujara and Ajinkya Rahane but both have some issues to take care of. 

Pujara averages just 31 in three Tests in West Indies with the highest score of 46 while Ajinkya Rahane who averages 121.50 with a ton and a fifty in four Tests, his recent Test form and county-run though doesn’t inspire much confidence.

West Indies may not be a dominant-side but you take them lightly and they can dent your hopes before you know it, ask England who were shot out for just 77 on their recent tour where they lost the Test series 2-1 with the Windies pacers breathing fire.

The official broadcasters have for once, got the tag right, the series is going to ‘Fast and Furious’ with plenty to see for the fans of the game, worldwide.

Link - https://livecriconline.com/wi-v-ind-5-things-to-look-forward-to/

6. Chokeli fan to resurface again after his spectacular peformance against WI claiming how he is GOAT.