Rajya Sabha passes triple talaq bill

Stradlater

In USA and western countries left and liberal parties advocate for equal rights for all religions. They banned multiple marriages and no triple talaq here. I still dont understand the left parties in India like congress etc who oppose this. Who really want this practice of triple talaq ? The younger generation definitely dont I am assuming girls and boys. Even older gen women dont. The only support is from older gen men. Am I correct ? Is BJP truly a right wing party in India ? Shouldn't they take up more right wing issues ?  This is truly a bad practice.  @Mariyam what is your opinion on this ? 

3 hours ago, gattaca said:

In USA and western countries left and liberal parties advocate for equal rights for all religions. They banned multiple marriages and no triple talaq here. I still dont understand the left parties in India like congress etc who oppose this. Who really want this practice of triple talaq ? The younger generation definitely dont I am assuming girls and boys. Even older gen women dont. The only support is from older gen men. Am I correct ? Is BJP truly a right wing party in India ? Shouldn't they take up more right wing issues ?  This is truly a bad practice.  @Mariyam what is your opinion on this ? 

Without commenting on the politics/timing etc of the triple talaq (talaq al bidah) bill, there are umpteen instances, especially among the lower income sections where in cohort with a maulvi, the husband uses the Triple talaq to blackmail and get dowry/gifts from the girl's family. In a 5 month internship at majlis, I would have come across close to 50 such cases. This is in addition to many more cases of triple talaq where the husband simply wanted a younger wife. It is a terrible practice and gives the woman no sense of security in marriage. This should have long been abolished. We are a 100 years too late.

Lekin, der aaye durust aaye.

Why making 3 Talaqs a "criminal offence" is a mistake by BJP?

(1) The whole reason for protest against triple talaq by Muslim women was "Happy Return Home to thier husband/family".

(2) They only wanted to ban triple talaq in order to avoid Halala, if their husbands pronounce triple talaq in anger.

(3) But if you criminalize triple talaq, and put husband in the jail, then there will be no "Happy Returning Home" for the Muslim women.

(4) Divorce is a "right". It is not like dowry, which is actually a crime. Therefore, banning triple talaq at one occassion is enough, while making it a criminal offence is a mistake, which in one way or another give women a chance to blackmail their husbands if they want to get rid of them through divorce.

(5) Even in the uniform civil code (for which Right Wing campaigns), a man could shout thousands of times talaq talaq talaq, but it is not a criminal offence while talaq is going to happen only through court's stipulated way. Similarly, a woman could shout thousands of times talaq, but it is not going to be a criminal offence in uniform civil code.

(6) Please understand that Indian Supreme Court had already stipulated in 1980s that Muslim husbands have to give "alimony" to their ex-wives. Therefore, present BJP bill has nothing to do with alimony. It should have only been concerned about “happy return to their husbands” for the Muslim women.

(7) That is why all LW liberals were standing with Muslim women for banning triple talaq, but they are not standing with BJP in criminalising it.

On 7/30/2019 at 11:00 PM, Mariyam said:

Without commenting on the politics/timing etc of the triple talaq (talaq al bidah) bill, there are umpteen instances, especially among the lower income sections where in cohort with a maulvi, the husband uses the Triple talaq to blackmail and get dowry/gifts from the girl's family. In a 5 month internship at majlis, I would have come across close to 50 such cases. This is in addition to many more cases of triple talaq where the husband simply wanted a younger wife. It is a terrible practice and gives the woman no sense of security in marriage. This should have long been abolished. We are a 100 years too late.

Lekin, der aaye durust aaye.

sounds like "Upgrade My Wife/GF" option  :nervous: