Michael Vaughan concludes Steve Smith is a better test batsmen than Sachin !!!

velu

4 minutes ago, Epic said:

Did Tendulkar ever hit an average of 60?  I think came close but didn't touch it.  Unless, you're going to break up his career into multiple sections, I don't think he touched 60?

Personally, I believe in the latter stages of his career - he actually tried to target increasing his average, and failed.  The entire declaration saga with Dravid was primarily because Tendy wanted to get his 200, but also wanted to stay not out - and Dravid rightly put the team's interests ahead of his. 

I believe Tendy was influenced by SMG on this front - because he didn't play the first 15 years of his career as a guy who cared about personal stats.

18 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Since you appear to believe that Smith is somehow magically going to continue performing at his current levels - here's a prediction for you - for the last 18 years of Smith's test career, he will average less than 25.  Whenever that is. 

most of these morons are victims of the recency effect; critical analysis damaag mein hai nahin

1 hour ago, Pandya_Power said:

Yes I did. You can't just bracket Smith with the others you've mentioned. He averages >60 across his career, ~ 10 points more than the next bets of his generation. 

So yes, I was talking about Sachin's career in entirety. We need to overcome this home bias and open ourselves to facts - the fact that Smith is the best modern Test bat doesn't in anyway take away from Sachin's or Kohli's accomplishments. Both had / have a far better all round game (hence their terrific ODI records) than Smith.

So did sachin for a long time. Ponting. Kallis. Sanga. All of them averaged very high at their peak In the 90d when sachin was averaging around 59 the next best was 51 and only 2-3 batsmen even averaged 50

44 minutes ago, velu said:

if average matters then sanga > sachin ..

whenever aussiea are in trouble , smith saves them .. rarely sachin did even in his peak

In 90 to 2000 only sachin was saving our asses home or away don't know which series you were watching I can give 10s of example where he  scored 100 for fun still india was bundling out within 200.

44 minutes ago, Pandya_Power said:

60 matches is not a small sample size! Infact he might have finished >50% of his career. Its gone on long enough for us to safely conclude its not a purple patch (like Hussey at the start of his career). He has been playing for a decade almost.

If he can display this kind of form after returning from a ban of 1 year, I don't think anything will disrupt his run.

He is too good in this generation best batsmen of his time but calling him best ever after Bradman is too much.

6 minutes ago, bahubali said:

In 90 to 2000 only sachin was saving our asses home or away don't know which series you were watching I can give 10s of example where he  scored 100 for fun still india was bundling out within 200.

which one ? there are few .. 

but none is comparable to the effects of smithy

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=series

22 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

most of these morons are victims of the recency effect; critical analysis damaag mein hai nahin

Ghanta. I bet I'm far more qualified than you to make logical arguments - being a trained lawyer as well as a graduate from a top 20 MBA program in the US.

I stick to my stand you and Sandeep suffer from "home bias". How else do you justify arguments like "Smith will avg less than tendy for the last 18 years of his career"?.

1 hour ago, velu said:

if average matters then sanga > sachin ..

whenever aussiea are in trouble , smith saves them .. rarely sachin did even in his peak 

Aussies in "trouble" is basically  the match situation that Sachin batted at in majority of his innings in the 1990s - you had guys like Debang Gandhi open the batting for India - 20/2 was the norm. 

But you do you.  Isn't it time for the hourly thala-pooja in your shrine? Next to that dead pigeon?:winky:

12 minutes ago, Pandya_Power said:

Ghanta. I bet I'm far more qualified than you to make logical arguments - being a trained lawyer as well as a graduate from a top 20 MBA program in the US.

I stick to my stand you and Sandeep suffer from "home bias". How else do you justify arguments like "Smith will avg less than tendy for the last 18 years of his career"?.

these are excellent achievments (honestly well done!) but I'll think you'll find there's plenty on this website with something similar; such points won't help to positively differentiate your statements. I'd suggest sticking to competing on the merits of your arguments (purpose of a forum)

4 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

these are excellent achievments (honestly well done!) but I'll think you'll find there's plenty on this website with something similar; such points won't help to positively differentiate your statements. I'd suggest sticking to competing on the merits of your arguments (purpose of a forum)

I'm aware. I used to be regular on the forum a decade ago. You should not always make the default assumption that you're talking to a teenager who started watching cricket in the last decade.

22 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Ever heard of a strawman argument Mr. MBA Lawyer?

You already know that I have. Infact most lawyers are trained to pick apart strawman fallacy. I quoted your statement with the intent of showing how you were discrediting Smith based on Sachin's longevity (he is an outlier based on career span, just like Smith is in terms of Average).

I'll post separately to address the merits of current era bowlign standards to the late 90's. My initail impression is that its a lot closer than people think. I got a match to watch now!

3 hours ago, Pandya_Power said:

60 matches is not a small sample size! Infact he might have finished >50% of his career. Its gone on long enough for us to safely conclude its not a purple patch (like Hussey at the start of his career). He has been playing for a decade almost.

If he can display this kind of form after returning from a ban of 1 year, I don't think anything will disrupt his run.

between 2002 to 2006 period Ponting averaged 70 plus, his peak, played 50-60 tests.  After that, averaged 40-42 till he retired ended up with an averaged for early 40s.  Smith for his first 20 tests average 40, averages 74 in his last 45 tests.  So, he may well go down to 40-45 like ponting did.