Kerala Beauty Pageant 2007

fineleg

These useless pageants must be banned. They cultivate a culture that gives way too much importance to looks, artificial beauty and ends up in a vast majority of the general population feeling inferior about the way they look.

I am generally curious' date=' is there a psychological explanation for a human to get attracted to fair skin and a slim, curvy body ?[/quote'] Not me :hysterical: Never been a fan of slim body, always like someone who is healthy(not overly). Also fair skin definition is quite awry isnt it?

Not me :hysterical: Never been a fan of slim body, always like someone who is healthy(not overly). Also fair skin definition is quite awry isnt it?
Ok, generally, is there any cognitive explanation why a slim figure is considered more attractive than a fat one ?

Ok' date=' generally, is there any cognitive explanation why a slim figure is considered more attractive than a fat one ?[/quote'] Okay lets first establish what is slim. Say an average girl, height 5ft 2-3 inches. This is how I would typically classify her weight: 45 kg(100 pounds) or under - Thin 45-55 Kg(100-125 pounds) - Perfect 55 plus( 125 pounds plus) - on heavier side. Of course the lesser than 100 pounds, or more than 125 will only make it thinner and heavier respectively. Now most men would be attracted towards women of second lot. Women of first lot are hardly a big turn on to most mens. Atleast thats what I have seen/experienced.

Ok' date=' generally, is there any cognitive explanation why a slim figure is considered more attractive than a fat one ?[/quote'] Feel a nice piece of slim waist (and if need be, a piece of slobby ass) and the answer will be obvious. :D

These useless pageants must be banned.
Err...no! They are good eye-candy.
They cultivate a culture that gives way too much importance to looks, artificial beauty and ends up in a vast majority of the general population feeling inferior about the way they look.
There is nothing 'artificial' about good looks- they are a part of our genetic makeup and every man/woman feels more attracted to 'good looking' people than not. Obviously, this doesn't mean much if you are a 'makeup beauty' or that physical beauty should be the sole factor. But it is infact completely artificial and 'forced' if one ignores physical features completely. And if you happen to not meet the definition of society's concept of 'beauty', its too bad,suck it up, move on and realize that nomatter how you look, unless you are truely f*cked up looking ( like crazy teeth, cleft palette, a nose that looks like its been broken countless times, etc), you will always find someone who thinks you are hot/attractive. And even then, there is no shame in admitting to yourself that you arn't a Johnny Depp and you will never turn eyes like he does.
I am generally curious, is there a psychological explanation for a human to get attracted to fair skin and a slim, curvy body ?
This is a two part question. And i will answer it starting with the last part first: 1. Slim, curvy body: That is purely an arbitary, socially imposed ideal. And fairly modern too. If you look back at art, European art for example, you will find that just 200 years ago, the ideal body for an 'attractive' woman would be considered 'fat' in the fashion shows today. These ideals change and the simple reason you, along with vast majority today would instinctively classify a curvy, slim body as 'hot' is because it is societerial programming for the most part. Today's society, in general, is sympathetic towards active people- people who keep fit, are athletic or athletically involved, so it makes sense that society today would espouse the same concepts in beauty. For a woman, obviously, there is a thing called 'looking too masculine', so Miss muscles won't get much nods, but the slim, curvy body is perfectly in line with the athletic ideal. part 2: fair skin : This is a product of neo-classical history. There is an affinity in general for people to be attracted to the attributes of power and globally speaking, the stock of whiteskin is pretty high (though it is declining),simply because Europeans dominated the world EVERYWHERE for 100s of years and even to this day, Europe and European origin nations ( America, Canada, Australia, etc) are by and large, the hallmarks of human civilization- in terms of peace, human development, human rights and sheer economic and military power weilded, there is no equivalent to the 'white power'. This is valid in India's case as well and not to mention, India has a pre-European history of roughly 800 years where mostly Afghans/Turks have ruled over most of India as Islamic invaders and they, in general, tend to be fairer than the average desis too. There is also a third and deeper undercurrent to the 'color question', one which is noted in every society, where fairer features is rated higher(with varying levels of importance put on it depending on societies). This is again, to do with human history that goes back countless millenias. And the issue is simple: again, people in general are attracted to power and copy/emulate/idolize the attributes of the powerful. The whole world, until very recently (ie, say 100-150 years) has been ruled by kings, nobility and the really rich. By and large, all these groups tend to spend most of their time indoors. Think about it- the rich merchants don't exactly end up spending 10 hrs/day out under the sun ANYWHERE on this world, the kings and nobles, when not waging wars, didn't go till the field- they sat around in their airy palaces and did various stuff. On the other hand, the most basic of jobs for the masses- farming and labour- involve countless hours under the sun. Nomatter what 'race' you are ( if one were to stray from strict adherence of science and the lack of 'race' , just for the sake of this debate), if you end up working countless hours under the sun, you will become deeply tanned, ie, darker. Now, consider the fact that jobs/careers, even to this day, largely follows class lines through the generations (ie, not many farmers end up having children who become doctors/engineers and you don't find many people who come from rich parents become farm labourers), there is an undercurrent of 'fairer people ---> better off in life' adage everywhere on this planet. This aspect, mostly, is not fully actualized in words for most people but rather, a subconcious realization that most live with without exploring. Hope this post helps you understand these things a bit better.

Btw, this is not to say that you cannot view colored people as attractive or shouldn't find them attractive. I remember a few weeks ago, i was in the mall and this black girl walked past me- and when i say black, i don't mean just 'african black' (though she was obviously, african)- i mean black as coal. Yet, i found her looks to be extremely attractive and her ultra-black skin was definitely a turn-on (maybe because she had good skin quality, ie, no blemishes, youthful looking skin,etc). So I think that what is/what isn't beautiful skin goes beyond just the color question, even if there is a slight societerial and human nature to favour the whiter skin. Skin quality, overall physique, facial features, eyes, lips, nose, etc. are all part of the beauty equation that can't be looked in isolation.