New coach to be chosen on Friday

BERGKAMP

Every single post on social media is fans begging for Shastri not to be picked, hundreds of new ones every minute

Deep down everyone except Kohli knows he is the wrong choice, let's see how much Kapil Dev cares about Indian cricket

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27376699/moody-simmons-hesson-shortlist-six-shastri

The next head coach of the senior India men's team is expected to be chosen on Friday from a shortlist of six: the incumbent, Ravi Shastri, as well as Tom Moody, Mike Hesson, Phil Simmons, Lalchand Rajput and Robin Singh. The BCCI's Cricket Advisory Committee, headed by Kapil Dev, will convene in Mumbai to conduct the interviews before making their decision.

Hesson will be present in Mumbai for the interview, along with Rajput and Robin, team manager and fielding coach during India's 2007 World T20 win, while Moody and Simmons are likely to join the committee members over video conference. Besides Kapil, the CAC comprises Anshuman Gaekwad, the former India opener and coach, and Shantha Rangaswamy, the former India women's team captain.

Confirming the updates, a senior BCCI official was quoted as saying by Press Trust of India, "These six will give presentation for head coach before CAC. It has been learnt that these six have been short-listed for interview with the CAC."

While the names of Moody, who has rich coaching pedigree in international cricket [Sri Lanka] as well as in the franchise circuit [Kings XI Punjab and Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL, for example], and Hesson, formerly head coach with New Zealand and Kings XI, have been doing the rounds, Simmons is seen as a late entrant.

The former West Indies opener was until June the head coach of Afghanistan. In the past, he has also had stints with West Indies, with whom he won the World T20 title in 2016, and, most notably, Ireland. Hesson, meanwhile, served as head coach of New Zealand for six years, the highlights being their memorable run to the 2015 World Cup final and a home Test series win over England in 2018. He has also been linked with the Bangladesh men's team, who are without a coach since letting go of Steve Rhodes after the World Cup.

There have been suggestions from the BCCI that Shastri is most likely to continue, something that has the backing of India captain Virat Kohli, who publicly expressed his support for Shastri at a press conference before flying out for the tour of the USA and the Caribbean late last month.

"With Ravi bhai, all of us have a great camaraderie, everyone in the team shares mutual respect [with him]. And we have done really well together as a group," Kohli had said at the time. "Yeah, we will definitely be very happy if he is continuing as a coach, but as I said it is upon the CAC to seek my advice or opinion if they want. Right now, I haven't been contacted at all. And I don't know what is going to happen with the process."

Shastri and the rest of his support staff - Sanjay Bangar (batting coach), B Arun (bowling coach) and R Sridhar (fielding coach) - are automatic entrants into the process. All of them are on an extended 45-day contract that will come to an end following the two-Test series in the Caribbean.

While Arun has been favoured, like Shastri, to retain his job, Sridhar could be up against Jonty Rhodes for the fielding coach's position. Meanwhile, Bangar's position as batting coach will be challenged by the candidatures of Pravin Amre, Vikram Rathour and J Arun Kumar.All three have been associated with coaching at the domestic and IPL level.

Amre is presently batting consultant of the USA national team and Delhi Capitals, while Rathour, who served as member of the selection committee until 2016, and Arun are with Himachal Pradesh and Puducherry respectively.The support staff is likely to be picked by MSK Prasad, the men's selection committee chairman.

Edited by BERGKAMP
44 minutes ago, BERGKAMP said:

Every single post on social media is fans begging for Shastri not to be picked, hundreds of new ones every minute

Deep down everyone except Kohli knows he is the wrong choice, let's see how much Kapil Dev cares about Indian cricket

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27376699/moody-simmons-hesson-shortlist-six-shastri

Back when Kapil Dev was captain, Gavaskar used to talk up Shastri, calling him the future India captain. This used to irk Kapil a lot as Shastri was barely 3 years younger and pretty much a contemporary, not a next generation player. He mentioned this in his book. So, let's hope he remembers all that and makes use of the opportunity to bypass Shastri for the coach's position.

23 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Shastri will not be picked. 

Kohli is under pressure it shows he is playing a WI series and being pumped about it, its existential for him. 

Kind of agree to what you say- Shastri was not a Kapil favorite when Kapil was captain, secondly, there are proven coaches like Moody and Hesson in the fray, anyone who applies his mind , will be able to identify that Moody could be a better performer than Shastri.

Shastri is a good man-manager but I think Moody could be the best coach available presently, his past record is also great.

if you closely Notice Kohli, he has come 1 down in all innings and has stretched to win all matches. we were wondering that he won't come to west indies but one can see that he wishes to get his record straight and win rather IMPRESSIVELY, he has beaten wi 3-0 in t20 and even in odi, he is planning to beat 3-0. With this clean record , talks of considering Rohit as captain for odi or T20 will die totally. 

Frankly, I support Kohli as Captain, my preferred captain is Kohli and not Rohit.

i hope Kohli does not DEMAND for Shastri as a kid instead get some coach who provides some value add.

i this shastri may get dropped but Bharat Arun may continue.

31 minutes ago, nevada said:

:wp1: Epstein's suicide was so predictable! The entire case seems like a figment of a twisted writer's imagination except it's real.

Ask yourself where Ghislaine Maxwell is.  She is most likely dead already or disappeared.  There is no way she will be arrested.  Because her trial would lead to more disclosures that would hurt some very very rich folks.

19 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Shastri is a good man-manager but I think Moody could be the best coach available presently,

i have to agree completely, 

Shastri is an excellent man-manager and motivator, and that sponge to guard the captain and team when needed with his obvious presence and pull in the cricketing world.

They should have a clear distinction made between the role of Coach and a 'Team Director' etc and give the roles accordingly, have Shastri around in a team director role, but make sure he knows he won't make tactical decisions like a coach and won't interfere in it, he will be more the PR focusing individual.

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Ask yourself where Ghislaine Maxwell is.  She is most likely dead already or disappeared.  There is no way she will be arrested.  Because her trial would lead to more disclosures that would hurt some very very rich folks.

this whole episode is like a Hollywood horror flick, it's clear why these people disappear or commit suicide. 

2 hours ago, Vilander said:

i have to agree completely, 

Shastri is an excellent man-manager and motivator, and that sponge to guard the captain and team when needed with his obvious presence and pull in the cricketing world.

They should have a clear distinction made between the role of Coach and a 'Team Director' etc and give the roles accordingly, have Shastri around in a team director role, but make sure he knows he won't make tactical decisions like a coach and won't interfere in it, he will be more the PR focusing individual.

We tried that model under Fletcher and did not win a single trophy. 

Given the abundance of young talent we currently have, best to go for someone who can work hard with them, push, polish and refine them. Not someone who saw a 38 year old over the hill Dhoni as our critical player for the WC.

If it means Kohli as not a captain any longer, it so bloody be it. Kapil has a chance to really help our cricket move to the next level, hope he delivers.

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

Shastri staying as Indian coach is as predictable as Jeffrey Epstein's "suicide".  

few things are as predictable. I feel as though the chances of him not being coach are even lower than a km-sized asteroid hitting the earth in a yr.

Edited by Vijy