Jump to content
Audiophile

Good things that Pakistan has given us

Recommended Posts

I thought I start a thread about this. Too much negativity about Pak, some for valid reason, some just joining the bandwagon.

 

For me, it has given me the one of the two most dear Ghazal singers of all time, Ghulam Ali (the other one being our late Jagjit Singh). I spend a lot of time listening to ghazals and Ghulam Ali is my favorite. Get a lot of pleasure listening to his records in my off time.

 

Politics and religion aside, what mastery of voice, Inshallah! :bow:

Edited by Audiophile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gollum said:

The best thing they have given us is getting separated, it was like amputation of a badly infected limb, only wish they had taken more of their (like-minded) kind during partition. Nothing in common with those people, no need to fraternize, no need to have any sort of connection, no need of these aman ki tamasha threads. The earlier we break every single contact with Pakistanis the better for us. 

 

And danda, stop praising Ghulam Ali, he himself confessed that he hated kafirs but loved kafir money. Don't behave like your supreme leader Begum Mamata, boycott those SOBs, not a single penny or goodwill should go to that monkey Ali from this kafir country. 

I separate the art from the artist. I do not know what you’re talking about. Everyone has demons. The mastery he has over his vocal cords is sublime (when he was younger)! Take some time to appreciate even though he may hate kafirs! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

26/11

KP genocide, exodus

Mumbai local blasts

Parliament attack

Pathankot, Uri, Nagrota, Pulwama

Death by 1000 cuts their motto

1000s of our braves martyred because of the jihadi menace

Daily cross border firing

Wars, betrayal in Kargil

Huge % of our GDP wasted because of them, which otherwise could have been used to uplift our poor

Drug trafficking to destroy youth of Punjab

 

After all this damage we are discussing what good they have given us, seriously? Music and songs, am I reading this right? Tomorrow if a neighbor without any provocation kills your family members, rapes the women, throws grenades in your garden, vows to wipe out your family, claims your property as his...will you fondly reminisce about good old days 20 years back when he gave you Alpenliebe or shared a plate of snacks?

 

Nah Pakistan has to pay for her sins, and will pay. No dosti or good memory, blood of our martyrs is still fresh, families of martyrs struggle every single day, jawans pay with their blood every single day because of enemy's nefarious activities.  

You sound like the right wing chicken hawks I see every day spouting shyte on Fox News! You should enlist yourself in the Indian military and show by example bruh! Talk is cheap. Go on, show us how to do it. We will be rooting for you from the other corner! :giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moochad said:

In the spirit of the thread, thanks for giving us a bunny to thrash every world cup. easy 2 pts every time

 

Otherwise I agree 100% with @gollum  

I agree with you 100%, although as much as they suck now in cricket, it does not give me as much pleasure as it gave when they were a better team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

I think pure Urdu (not the modern spoken kind) is the sweetest language to listen to. I do not understand everything, and frequently have to look up dictionary, but still sounds so rich and intriguing.

Urdu is an Indian language, pure Indian language originating from present day North India, perfected in Awadh, best practitioners are based in Lucknow (from both the major communities). Pakistanis don't own it, some RW folks may try to distance themselves from the language (understandable) but doesn't change the truth. Even cuisine-wise, many of their specialties have origins in present day India, the best Mughlai cook will still be an Indian. Only their KP/Balochistan cuisine may be entirely different but since it is more or less absent in India, can't say they gave us anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

You sound like the right wing chicken hawks I see every day spouting shyte on Fox News! You should enlist yourself in the Indian military and show by example bruh! Talk is cheap. Go on, show us how to do it. We will be rooting for you from the other corner! :giggle:

whats your point you are saying all that is not true ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gollum said:

Urdu is an Indian language, pure Indian language originating from present day North India, perfected in Awadh, best practitioners are based in Lucknow (from both the major communities). Pakistanis don't own it, some RW folks may try to distance themselves from the language (understandable) but doesn't change the truth. Even cuisine-wise, many of their specialties have origins in present day India, the best Mughlai cook will still be an Indian. Only their KP/Balochistan cuisine may be entirely different but since it is more or less absent in India, can't say they gave us anything. 

I never said Pak has ownership of Urdu. I am fully aware of its roots. I mentioned Urdu because most of the Ghazals are written in Urdu. And my favorite ghazal writers over the years have been a mix of both Indian and Pakistanis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

I never said Pak has ownership of Urdu. I am fully aware of its roots. I mentioned Urdu because most of the Ghazals are written in Urdu. And my favorite ghazal writers over the years have been a mix of both Indian and Pakistanis.

then you should have said Ghazals and mentioned the ones that pakistanis performed not mentioned urdu which is an Indian language. don't misappropriate it or aid misappropriation in reverse whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vilander said:

then you should have said Ghazals and mentioned the ones that pakistanis performed not mentioned urdu which is an Indian language. don't misappropriate it or aid misappropriation in reverse whatever.

The last I checked Ghulam Ali is a citizen of Pakistan! :giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Audiophile said:

The last I checked Ghulam Ali is a citizen of Pakistan! :giggle:

is Urdu Pakistani ? not right

 

write full sentences.

 

and i am waiting for your answer from above post.

 

9 minutes ago, Vilander said:

whats your point you are saying all that is not true ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

You sound like the right wing chicken hawks I see every day spouting shyte on Fox News! You should enlist yourself in the Indian military and show by example bruh! Talk is cheap. Go on, show us how to do it. We will be rooting for you from the other corner! :giggle:

I don't need to join the military to show my support bruh. Not all of us have to join the forces, but we can help the braves in our own way, even by taking nationalistic stance, giving moral support, shunning the enemy, supporting pro-forces politics, expressing our gratitude if we meet them, contributing to national defence fund, exposing/pressurizing internal traitors, social media campaigns etc.

 

I don't need to show you anything, you can call me RW, LW, chicken, pig, fox, deer, eagle whatever floats your boat. But that you are making personal remarks instead of debating the points is a giveaway that you have erred. Come on danda, I like you as a poster, I know your political inclination and special love for the Pakistanis....maybe you are in extra charitable mood today or merely a brainfade. Not debating further, no bad blood, up to you. Have a nice day. 

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I don't need to join the military to show my support bruh. Not all of us have to join the forces, but we can help the braves in our own way, even by taking nationalistic stance, giving moral support, shunning the enemy, supporting pro-forces politics, expressing our gratitude if we meet them, contributing to national defence fund, exposing/pressurizing internal traitors, social media campaigns etc.

 

I don't need to show you anything, you can call me RW, LW,, chicken, pig, fox, deer, eagle whatever floats your boat. But that you are making personal remarks instead of debating the points is a giveaway that you have erred. Come on danda, I like you as a poster, I know your political inclination and special love for the Pakistanis....maybe you are in extra charitable mood today or merely a brainfade. Not debating further, no bad blood, up to you. Have a nice day. 

I am listening to Ghulam Ali on vinyl on my stereo right now and it is just pure magic bruh! I can’t hate the guy, even though he might consider me a kafir!! :laugh:

Edited by Audiophile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Vilander said:

is Urdu Pakistani ? not right

 

write full sentences.

 

and i am waiting for your answer from above post.

 

 

I do not want to get politics into this. You guys are doing fantabulous job!

 

I just mentioned about someone who exists that I am grateful for because he has given me hrs and hrs of listening pleasure. Made me happy when I was somber. It may not mean anything to you, but to me it does. The guy did not slaughter anyone, yes he may have opined on non-Muslims in a way you do not approve, but I keep music away from the personality. If I did that, I would be boycotting a lot of artists. Our famous Khan killed innocent people who were sleeping on the sidewalk and he roams free. How many watch him on screen? And he is not even half the artist Ghulam Ali is! :giggle:

Edited by Audiophile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest? Nothing.

 

Let me make it clear - I don't hate or dislike Pakistanis, and this is the same mindset I have for people of all nations. But when I think of the amount of hostility they have in their conscience for us, it becomes very difficult for me to appreciate good things from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Audiophile said:

Now hang on, I draw a line here! We are talking about talent here! :rotfl:

A dude who can fire once in a blue moon and still get the crowd going every match, means the dude has talent. I bet you this guy was a potential husband for any chick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I don't need to join the military to show my support bruh. Not all of us have to join the forces, but we can help the braves in our own way, even by taking nationalistic stance, giving moral support, shunning the enemy, supporting pro-forces politics, expressing our gratitude if we meet them, contributing to national defence fund, exposing/pressurizing internal traitors, social media campaigns etc.

 

I don't need to show you anything, you can call me RW, LW, chicken, pig, fox, deer, eagle whatever floats your boat. But that you are making personal remarks instead of debating the points is a giveaway that you have erred. Come on danda, I like you as a poster, I know your political inclination and special love for the Pakistanis....maybe you are in extra charitable mood today or merely a brainfade. Not debating further, no bad blood, up to you. Have a nice day. 

Sorry I did not mean to insult you. I do not know if you have been part of a minority ever.

 

When I grew up in Kolkata, I was part of the majority and never faced any discrimination and never understood what it felt to be marginalized. After coming to the US and facing overt racism, my outlook changed. I am not saying all the things you are saying is false, but sometimes putting yourself in other shoes can give you a different perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MechEng said:

To be honest? Nothing.

 

Let me make it clear - I don't hate or dislike Pakistanis, and this is the same mindset I have for people of all nations. But when I think of the amount of hostility they have in their conscience for us, it becomes very difficult for me to appreciate good things from there.

So you hate Pakistani’s even though you said you don’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

So you hate Pakistani’s even though you said you don’t. 

Hate is not the right word, avoidance would be the right one. Again, I don't dislike the people of Pakistan but the end of Pak army or total change in their priorities (looks impossible) will not only benefit Indo-Pak relations but also the world.

Edited by MechEng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

slightly off-topic:-

 

one good thing current day padosis did for us was they took heavy pounding from the invaders during  the medieval period :lol: 

from alexander , ghori , ghazini ,to nader shah , they plundered and looted on their way towards india and when they reached delhi they were tired :phehe:

 

ps:-

few plundered padosiland  and north india , then tried to enter south india .. whoever tried their luck here down sotuh , we beaten them black , blue and red :yess: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Hate is not the right word, avoidance would be the right one. Again, I don't dislike the people of Pakistan but the end of Pak army or total change in their priorities (looks impossible) will not only benefit Indo-Pak relations but also the world.

You can say what you want but outside of our own countries there is no better friends than the fellow brown neighbors. 

Edited by Shaz1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

You can say what you want but outside of our own countries there is no better friends than the fellow brown neighbors. 

Yes, I'm aware of that. Most upper middle class families from Pakistan and India do get along well in overseas countries, it's easier than getting along with white Americans, afro Americans, Chinese, middle eastern and Europeans.

But action against terrorism is always vindicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

A dude who can fire once in a blue moon and still get the crowd going every match, means the dude has talent. I bet you this guy was a potential husband for any chick.

Its a curiously Pakistani thing - to brag about the manliness of some random Pakistani, and think that it reflects on all of them somehow.  Kind of like how they embrace the "unpredictable" tag for their cricket team, instead of being insulted - probably because they don't understand the full meaning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

You can say what you want but outside of our own countries there is no better friends than the fellow brown neighbors. 

Because you can say what you want, but ultimately we're pretty much the same people:winky:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vilander said:

And this:  Sepoy Bhausaheb Maruti Talekar

Good things my ass, barbarians who don't deserve a shred of humanity, literally the scourge of planet Earth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Faiz Ahmed Faiz

 

Born before 1947 but yeah lots of talent in the fields of entertainment i.e singers, composers, actors, writers,poets.  Most of the stalwarts were born pre-independence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, velu said:

slightly off-topic:-

 

one good thing current day padosis did for us was they took heavy pounding from the invaders during  the medieval period :lol: 

from alexander , ghori , ghazini ,to nader shah , they plundered and looted on their way towards india and when they reached delhi they were tired :phehe:

 

ps:-

few plundered padosiland  and north india , then tried to enter south india .. whoever tried their luck here down sotuh , we beaten them black , blue and red :yess: 

All of that was part of India. Pakistan obviously came into effect 1947 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Audiophile said:

I think pure Urdu (not the modern spoken kind) is the sweetest language to listen to. I do not understand everything, and frequently have to look up dictionary, but still sounds so rich and intriguing.

Mostly borrows words from Persian and somewhat Arabic.  What sort of words you look up?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

Yep. Also Ahmed Faraz.

Faraz's main body of work centres around heartbreak/love that was never meant to be. Somehow his work never got to me. Majrooh Sultanpuri or Gulzar's shers on the same general topics would always bring a tear to my eye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pakistan gave Indians

 

1. More nationalism feel. Despite cultural differences this enemy country unites us more and more daily.

 

2. Respect towards armed forces. If there was no Pakistan we would have never known their significance in our life.

 

3. Despite our growth being slightly slow still it gives us pride when we see our 

Economic Growth, space programs, entertainment industry , sports infrastructure and compare it to them we all are at least convinced that we have been on right path. Long way to go but it's definitely a motivation.

 

Yes, we have lost a lot because of this rogue neighbor but every time when our soldier or civilian dies in their sponsored terrorist attacks , it makes us more strong more united. They gave us lot of pain but watch the wicket of Amir Sohail by Venkstesh Prasad or six of Tendulkar on Akhtar it will bring smile back. 

 

Pakistan gave Indians reasons to be united, motivated and brought smiles on our face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing. 

They want to come to India to play cricket in IPL.
They want to come to India to act in Bollywood. 
They want to come to India to get medical treatment from our world class doctors. 

Phir alag desh banaya hi kyun hai behn ke lodon! :lol:

Edited by SecondSlip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regards to this thread, as well as respecting some of the sentiments of those who chose to despise Pakistan(for valid reasons), I too do not like Pakistan for any reason whatsoever, other than some of their past musicians/stalwarts and some of their urdu poets, that's all. Now, I am not showing any softness for Pakistan, I genuinely like some of their music and art. But, that doesn't mean I ignore what Pak has done in the past and the entire history prevalent till now. Like one poster said, I tend to separate a person's professional achievements from his personal life(incidents/remarks).

 

Now coming onto the topic, perhaps the greatest thing Pakistani has given us or the world rather , is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. A great singer and composer. I rate him very highly. One of my favourite musicians. Some of his works and compositions are genuinely amazing and heavenly to listen to. Other singers such as Mehdi Hassan, Sabri Brothers, Ghulam Ali I listen/have listened to. They are great singers no doubt with some very nice compositions. My favorite in the ghazal genre is Jagjit Singh.

 

As for urdu poetry, Munir Niazi's poetry was very nice to hear. 

 

That's pretty much about it. There's nothing else really special or to be thankful about Pakistan in any other aspects. Even today's Pakistani singers are not as good as their Indian counterparts. Atif, Ali Zafar , Bilal are somewhat decent. Shafqat Amanat Ali being the best singer of the lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...