Analysis of Steve Smith batting

I think using this short ball strategy as done by  Jofra Archer here is one of  the most effective weapons against Smith. Smith is not much of a technically  strong batsman and hence when  he commits to that  trigger movement earlier in advance , he would find it that much difficult to move out of the line when faced against a fast short pitch delivery at the last moment.With the more traditional technically perfect & composed batsmen , they can move out of the way at the least with a bit of difficulty .

1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

I think using this short ball strategy as done by  Jofra Archer here is one of  the most effective weapons against Smith. Smith is not much of a technically  strong batsman and hence when  he commits to that  trigger movement earlier in advance , he would find it that much difficult to move out of the line when faced against a fast short pitch delivery at the last moment.With the more traditional technically perfect & composed batsmen , they can move out of the way at the least with a bit of difficulty .

you also need archer's pace. someone like "legend" vinnie kumar bowling short balls would get a royal hammering by stewie

9 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Sky sports does really good work in pre n post match shows.......Indian shows mostly do dhoni chalisa or have stupid fillers 

Coming back to smith......reason i have never found his batting ugly is coz he plays most balls under his head which is why he always ends up in a good position 

He picks line and length very early and play it very late.Following expressions also means same thing: near/parallel to body or under his head.

Playing as late as possible,with straight bat ideally,is only way to effectively counter lateral movement(swing/seam) of red ball.In the topic "Parameters and their indicators to predict performance of any batsman",I explained it as positive indicator.

KL Rahul is average test player because he cannot pick line and length as early as Smith,therefore cannot play as late as possible.Indeed,most batsmen are inferior to Smith in this capability.I think Gill can play ball even late than Smith.

2 minutes ago, vaul said:

KL Rahul is average test player because he cannot pick line and length as early as Smith,therefore cannot play as late as possible.Indeed,most batsmen are inferior to Smith in this capability.I think Gill can play ball even late than Smith.

KL is currently not picking doesnt mean he ever cudnt. The 1st thing in bad form happens is mind get cluttered and then u think about 100 things....hence ur concentration isnt and u cant pick line n length early. As he gets back among runs , he ll get in good mindset and he ll start picking line n length again. He has 100s in Aus, ENG, WI .....that to on his 1st tour, avg player cant do that , even pujara didnt have 100 in any of his 1st overseas tour. Playing late isnt the only thing even rohit plays late but he plays far away from body in test cricket and many times his head falls due to same reason.  Smith biggest strength is his clear mindset.....when u have that u feet move front n back right, Kl is a gr8 opposite example of one the best talent with a messed up mindset hence his failures 

33 minutes ago, Vijy said:

you also need archer's pace. someone like "legend" vinnie kumar bowling short balls would get a royal hammering by stewie

yeah ... definitely ......  that's exactly the reason as to why I have a lots of eye brows when people place Smith over the likes of Viv,Sachin etc based on pure averages. Those batsmen played against the likes of  several Jofra Archers in far testing conditions.Viv was such a courageous batsman and Sachin had one of the best techniques  ever.On a side note, I have   always felt that Smith  with this advanced trigger movement  would have his balance a bit off so that there is some vulnerability in some area than normal. One of them has been  that a  prodigious left arm seamer  moving the ball away from  him at that  4rth stump  line  on a good length can trouble him a lot.

Jofra   revealed  another weakness of his awkward  technique, If we watch  that ball by Jofra keenly , we can see that  Smith can be in so much physical danger  when compared to other calibre batsmen in the same situation. A lot of other batsmen with superior techniques  would have  bended down in a flash with the ball sailing over their heads . Smith on the other hand got caught in an awkward position  just like 'Kallis got out to Sreesanth once leaping in the air completely off balance'.

5 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

KL is currently not picking doesnt mean he ever cudnt. The 1st thing in bad form happens is mind get cluttered and then u think about 100 things....hence ur concentration isnt and u cant pick line n length early. As he gets back among runs , he ll get in good mindset and he ll start picking line n length again. He has 100s in Aus, ENG, WI .....that to on his 1st tour, avg player cant do that , even pujara didnt have 100 in any of his 1st overseas tour. Playing late isnt the only thing even rohit plays late but he plays far away from body in test cricket and many times his head falls due to same reason.  Smith biggest strength is his clear mindset.....when u have that u feet move front n back right, Kl is a gr8 opposite example of one the best talent with a messed up mindset hence his failures 

Firstly,you did not get the concept of playing late.Playing away from body means playing early which is opposite to playing near body i.e. playing late.Rohit unlike Smith does not has ability to play as late as possible.In white ball cricket when ball is mostly travelling in straight line,lofted shots played by Rohit are played away from body i.e. "early" (not late). Therefore,playing early = playing away from body(most of lofted shots),whereas,playing late =playing near/parallel to body.

As far as KL Rahul is concerned,he plays better,like most Indian batsmen,when pitch is slower and there is minimum lateral movement.For example,last year on England tour,when kl made century, pitch had slowed down on final day to an extent that Harbhajan said it has become Rajkot wicket.Otherwise he is nowhere near Smith in picking line and length at earliest and playing it at the last moment with making appropriate late adjustments if needed.Lack of required skills does not means being out of form.KL deserves place ahead of Dhawan in t20 only.

7 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

yeah ... definitely ......  that's exactly the reason as to why I have a lots of eye brows when people place Smith over the likes of Viv,Sachin etc based on pure averages. Those batsmen played against the likes of  several Jofra Archers in far testing conditions.Viv was such a courageous batsman and Sachin had one of the best techniques  ever.On a side note, I have   always felt that Smith  with this advanced trigger movement  would have his balance a bit off so that there is some vulnerability in some area than normal. One of them has been  that a  prodigious left arm seamer  moving the ball away from  him at that  4rth stump  line  on a good length can trouble him a lot.

Jofra   revealed  another weakness of his awkward  technique, If we watch  that ball by Jofra keenly , we can see that  Smith can be in so much physical danger  when compared to other calibre batsmen in the same situation. A lot of other batsmen with superior techniques  would have  bended down in a flash with the ball sailing over their heads . Smith on the other hand got caught in an awkward position  just like 'Kallis got out to Sreesanth once leaping in the air completely off balance'.

yes, definitely SRT had the best technique of any batsman I've seen, and I have seen ball-by-ball innings by several players (although not live) from the 70s onwards. However, what I admire most Smith is his wonderful temperament (in that sense, among the very best ever and determination to find a way to score runs. Of the Fab 4, this is what sets him ahead of the pack in Tests although on pure technique Kane is ahead. With that said, Smith's technique is unorthodox and ungainly, but it is mighty effective; it is only a few extreme bowlers like Archer who trouble him to an extent. I reckon that Bumrah is another who could trouble him and so is Cummins.

Edited by Vijy

Well Rabada & Philander(?) troubled him a lot in SA, also peak Steyn would've done him on a few occasions as well. As many have pointed out before, bowl full+wide w/pack the offside. This is one thing that very few have done against him consistently, that's one area you can get him out & precisely because of his technique.

5 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Well Rabada & Philander(?) troubled him a lot in SA, also peak Steyn would've done him on a few occasions as well. As many have pointed out before, bowl full+wide w/pack the offside. This is one thing that very few have done against him consistently, that's one area you can get him out & precisely because of his technique.

I remember this one match vs Aus where MSD did just that. in general, I rate his test captaincy quite poorly, but that was an effective strategy. wish we saw more out-of-the-box thinking in cricket. It doesn't have to be as much analytics- and strategy-driven as baseball, but it would be good to see more genuine innovation enter the test format without sacrificing the unique flavors of test cricket.

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

one match vs Aus where MSD did just tha

It was Nagpur or Mohali vs Oz, 2008 or 2010 tour with Sharma bowling 8-1 packed off side field. It was perhaps the only time I've seen Dhongi ji massively outwitting the opposition, in tests, albeit at home. With Smith you'll probably need 7-2 considering there's no left armer in Indian test squad & you may want to bring lbw into the equation occasionally.

7 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

Which several jofra Archer's have Sachin and Viv played?