Test Series vs the WI ... start of our Test Championship journey

We start our Test Championship journey with this upcoming test series vs the WI.  The opposition may be weak but the relevance of this test series in the Championship lends extra interest to the test matches.  

We have a strong bowling attack and that will be very interesting to watch.

My preferred playing 11

1. Mayank

2. Rohit.  (  won't be worse than Rahul. )

3. Pujara

4. Kohli

5. Vihari

6. Pant

7. Jadeja

8. Kuldeep

9. Shami

10. Ishant

11. Bumrah

-- We have project Rohit going on.  It is better that he replaces a non-performing Rahul than the promising Vihari.

-- The fast bowling trio pick themselves.

-- Kuldeep must play.

-- Rahul and Rahane deserve to be dropped.

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We start our Test Championship journey with this upcoming test series vs the WI.  The opposition may be weak but the relevance of this test series in the Championship lends extra interest to the test matches.  

We have a strong bowling attack and that will be very interesting to watch.

My preferred playing 11

1. Mayank

2. Rohit.  (  won't be worse than Rahul. )

3. Pujara

4. Kohli

5. Vihari

6. Pant

7. Jadeja

8. Kuldeep

9. Shami

10. Ishant

11. Bumrah

-- We have project Rohit going on.  It is better that he replaces a non-performing Rahul than the promising Vihari.

-- The fast bowling trio pick themselves.

-- Kuldeep must play.

-- Rahul and Rahane deserve to be dropped.

I don't think Rohit in Tests would do better than KLR. My preferred 11 is pretty much the same as yours except for one change:

Mayank, Pujara, Vihari (2 and 3 can be interchanged), Rat, Gill, Jaddu, Pant, Kuldeep, Ishant, Shami, Bumrah. [once shaw returns and presumably discovers his form, I would drop vihari and move pujara to 3]

of course, I realize it's not happening since gill is not in the squad.

Edited by Vijy
5 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I don't think Rohit in Tests would do better than KLR. My preferred 11 is pretty much the same as yours except for one change:

Mayank, Pujara, Vihari (2 and 3 can be interchanged), Rat, Gill, Jaddu, Pant, Kuldeep, Ishant, Shami, Bumrah. [once shaw returns and presumably discovers his form, I would drop vihari and move pujara to 3]

of course, I realize it's not happening since gill is not in the squad.

So, we have to make a practical choice.

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

So, we have to make a practical choice.

true. but I don't think hitman is cut out to open in tests. better to go with the underperforming KLR for the time being. rest of the team looks good. if there's some swing, bhuvi can come into the mix - he can also bolster lower order batting.

18 minutes ago, Vijy said:

true. but I don't think hitman is cut out to open in tests. better to go with the underperforming KLR for the time being. rest of the team looks good.

The reason I am preferring Rohit is because he has better temperament than Rahul and is in better form too.  

Otherwise, we don't have any potential opener in the squad who can handle the moving ball.

18 minutes ago, Vijy said:

if there's some swing, bhuvi can come into the mix - he can also bolster lower order batting.

Bhuvi is not in the squad.

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

The reason I am preferring Rohit is because he has better temperament than Rahul and is in better form too.  

Otherwise, we don't have any potential opener in the squad who can handle the moving ball.

Bhuvi is not in the squad.

if rohit should play, better to put him in middle order. chepu or vihari are relatively better at opening I feel.

Sorry to burst your bubble there right at the start of the test championship. But India is not going anywhere with rat and bewda. bewda will suck on beer bottles while rat will suck in the ground. Get realistic and watch other sports or other teams like the Ashes. I greatly admire the Aus and NZ teams who play as a team with less corruption in their administration circles and team selection. I will support them

4 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Sorry to burst your bubble there right at the start of the test championship. But India is not going anywhere with rat and bewda. bewda will suck on beer bottles while rat will suck in the ground. Get realistic and watch other sports or other teams like the Ashes. I greatly admire the Aus and NZ teams who play as a team with less corruption in their administration circles and team selection. I will support them

they will also both suck on MSD's... you get the gist.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

Abso-freakin-lutely.

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

The advantage with test cricket is that every series has its own charm.  

Moreover, this TM, despite their rather poor player selections, tactics and strategies,  have been able to put together a good fast bowling attack in test matches.  This will pay rich dividends and has already done so in the recent past.  This will be the fun part 

Rohit if he plays will score runs coz wi attack suits him but what does it earn....he ll still be a sitting duck in overseas 9 out of 10 times fact thats already proven . Its the same thing we learned with dhawan who atleast had a damn good series in Nz. Next series is against Sa which has been rohit nemesis team in test cricket 

Rahul atleast has scored a 100 on his bad days in england. Rohit hasnt scored  a 100 on his good days overseas . Rahul needs contunity n suppourt . Dropping him will only make his case worse. 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

The advantage with test cricket is that every series has its own charm.  

Moreover, this TM, despite their rather poor player selections, tactics and strategies,  have been able to put together a good fast bowling attack in test matches.  This will pay rich dividends and has already done so in the recent past.  This will be the fun part 

Fast bowling resources has to be credited to BCCI, sporting pitches in the domestic matches and the talent and fitness level needed for bowling fast. Rahane in his single test as captain and Kumble as coach flummoxed Steve Smith and an Aussie unit that were about to win a test series in India but were thwarted in the last test. Rahane was aggressive in his field placements and him and Kumble's inputs worked in tandem. When Kohli was back at the helm, he kicked Kumble out and kept Rahane out in test matches and played Rohit (a failure in tests) instead. What a genius. Even Pujara is captaincy material. Rahane and Pujara are more aggressive than Kohli who just acts aggressive on the field like he is some Mike Tyson. I would like him to do this "aggression" against Gabriel and Thomas. He would be slapped in his face and will be crying for mommy.

Shastri is just a glorified loud mouthed nothing who lucked out in Aus when Smith and Warner were out. He did a cheap showoff that he's some cool guy with his beer drinking in front of the camera at the bus dropoff in Melbourne :facepalm:We will have the same bowling attack with Rahane/Pujara as captain and Moody/Hesson as coach. In fact, they would have made it much better than what it is today. Moody is a tough task master and Hesson knows how to work with limited resources

38 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Fast bowling resources has to be credited to BCCI, sporting pitches in the domestic matches and the talent and fitness level needed for bowling fast. Rahane in his single test as captain and Kumble as coach flummoxed Steve Smith and an Aussie unit that were about to win a test series in India but were thwarted in the last test. Rahane was aggressive in his field placements and him and Kumble's inputs worked in tandem. When Kohli was back at the helm, he kicked Kumble out and kept Rahane out in test matches and played Rohit (a failure in tests) instead. What a genius. Even Pujara is captaincy material. Rahane and Pujara are more aggressive than Kohli who just acts aggressive on the field like he is some Mike Tyson. I would like him to do this "aggression" against Gabriel and Thomas. He would be slapped in his face and will be crying for mommy.

Shastri is just a glorified loud mouthed nothing who lucked out in Aus when Smith and Warner were out. He did a cheap showoff that he's some cool guy with his beer drinking in front of the camera at the bus dropoff in Melbourne :facepalm:We will have the same bowling attack with Rahane/Pujara as captain and Moody/Hesson as coach. In fact, they would have made it much better than what it is today. Moody is a tough task master and Hesson knows how to work with limited resources

This thread is not about how bad or how good the TM is.  They will be there for quite some time whether one dislikes them or likes them.

What I am saying is ... our fast bowling unit in test matches is one one area which is very enjoyable to watch these days.   

Moreover, us being one of the better performing sides in test matches these days ...  most of our upcoming test series will be enjoyable to watch and the Test Championship will give them more relevance.  

Yes ... tactical blunders and some selections by the TM will continue to peeve us, but the quality of our bowling may surpass that irritation in test matches atleast.