India A vs SA A

kaptaan

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

So the pool of players the selectors and TM are looking at are

LOIs:

Openers: Mayank Agrawal, Shubman Gill, Rituraj Gaekwad, Anmolpreet Singh, Prashant Chopra,

I dont see prashant chopra in pool.....u forgot prithvi shaw 

Middle Order Batsmen: Shreyas Iyer, Manish Pandey, Vihari, Ricky Bhui, Nitish Rana, Deepak Hooda

Gill as well for middle order

Spinners: Axar Patel, Rahul Chahar, Washington Sundar, Shreyas Gopal

Strangely they are not even considering gopal for Most A-games

He's played for India A from 2014-2017. Could not really grab his chances. All he needs is one big FC season and he will get fast tracked into the national side, thats how good he is, especially playing pacers.

Sadly thats not happening

thats why m saying he is to good a talent to loose, may be keeping him in mix might help

8 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

M not tired of his name......

Discarding is on logic like - he doesnt bring anything new, the reason he doesnt get selected for national team is coz they already have his superior version who also they dont play regularly and now they have an exciting option in krunal. So  i dont see him playing for India

You say you're not tired of his name and then repeat the same foolish line about he doesn't bring anything "new".  New is not a selection criteria.  When you are talking about 30 probables outside of the current team, especially for LOI cricket, you want to see multiple options for guys who can contribute with both bat and ball. Claiming that Krunal is a more viable version of Axar, is T20-syndrome silliness.  Krunal is a lower order batsman who can bowl cleverly.  Both of them should be in the mix and are.   

8 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Gowtham has done well in A-games that to in longest form overseas so i dont even see how him n krunal can be compared. Krunal at best is a t20 cricketer now 

The only thing that serpartes gowtham n axar is experience.....if we are talking of LOI...well gowtham scores over in power game

I'm going to disagree with you on this - although I don't want to write off Goutham.  You are overhyping Goutham's "power hitting" based on a couple of T20 cameos, while Axar's contributions with the bat at the FC level, and even in IPL have been as good, if not better.  Key for Duleep selection is domestic performance.  Please go and check Goutham and Axar's FC batting before making dubious claims.

But axar is taking a place which can go to gopal who has done everything and can be the right kind of player we can look at ....a wrist spinner who can bat at 8 

I'd like to see Gopal in the mix too, but I'm not going to endorse this sort of foolishness where you only want "wrist spinners" or players of a certain 'type'.  Especially when you are talking about Duleep Trophy and intra-squad scrimmages.  The criteria is simple - pick the best domestic performers and let them compete against each other.  Few slots in there should be given to players who may not have the FC performances, but still get selected based on talent/potential, and a few slots for players with the skill-set that fits the team needs - Dubey is a classic example.  He's just OK with both bat and ball, but his skill-set is something that we need, and also need to encourage players of that type.  So he can make the cut even if his performances don't really earn that spot.  

It not even logical to discard youngsters out of nowere after they get selected for national team- like mayank markhande

Again it comes to that one spot that axar takes. 

I think you are overly obsessed with wrist-spinners - Markande has been in the mix, and the selectors must have had reason for excluding him.  Let's keep in mind that he's a very ordinary fielder and a rank bunny with the bat.  

Bottomline - when you are selecting top 25 players, you cannot penalize a player who is consistently performing, simply because "he's been around for a while".   And you are still overlooking the fact that Axar's presence in these games, will test the young batsmen that will face him.  He's proven effective at constricting scoring - It will be good to see whether the new batsmen coming through can handle him and score against him - as opposed to throwing young flavors of the month, just for the sake of "a new name".    

You do not base selection for your bench team and 'A' team simply based on short term needs.  It has to be a structured pathway, a pipeline that keeps producing players for you.  Kids sitting on sofas at home may think that they can pick Gopals and Gouthams out of a hat and make champion teams - but the job is considerably more complex than that.  If it was just about plucking random names who impress in a handful of games, the Pakistan team wouldn't have the record it has over the last 20 years.  And neither would the Indian team.  Look at both teams' selection process over the last 15 years and their records.  Unless you are intentionally blind and refuse to see it, the pattern is obvious. 

4 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

He's played for India A from 2014-2017. Could not really grab his chances. All he needs is one big FC season and he will get fast tracked into the national side, thats how good he is, especially playing pacers.

Sanju Samson reminds me of a young Rohit Sharma.  He has that 'it' factor.  You see a batsman at the crease against quality bowlers, and some have it, and most don't.  I have been a Samson fan for some time.

BUT, even Rohit Sharma delivered consistent FC performances before he made it.   Averaged more than 60 in FC.  Sanju, for all his talent, has been very poor in terms of consistent performance.  If he cannot manage that at the FC level, he's not ready for int'l cricket.  Talent and skill are not enough to make it there - the discipline and temperament that are required to deliver consistently are equally important, if not more.  To be fair, he's had some injury issues, and some management issues with some cricket association babus, so that's a mitigating factor.  But he needs to put up a big season or 2, to get back into the top queue.  

30 minutes ago, sandeep said:

You say you're not tired of his name and then repeat the same foolish line about he doesn't bring anything "new".  New is not a selection criteria.  When you are talking about 30 probables outside of the current team, especially for LOI cricket, you want to see multiple options for guys who can contribute with both bat and ball. Claiming that Krunal is a more viable version of Axar, is T20-syndrome silliness.  Krunal is a lower order batsman who can bowl cleverly.  Both of them should be in the mix and are.   

U cant have 30 probable with many player having similar skill set

Krunal has the abiliy to bat in top 7.....axar doesnt neither he can play as a wkt taking bowler 

The investement on axar has only one conclusion that his skill set is same as it was, high time we invest in diff player 

Where is it written u cant grow from t20.....

I'm going to disagree with you on this - although I don't want to write off Goutham.  You are overhyping Goutham's "power hitting" based on a couple of T20 cameos, while Axar's contributions with the bat at the FC level, and even in IPL have been as good, if not better.  Key for Duleep selection is domestic performance.  Please go and check Goutham and Axar's FC batting before making dubious claims.

M not hyping gowtham hitting but its better then axar which is not a gr8 benchmark 

FC batting stats makes no sense in Axar case now as we have seen him struggle in IPL n National game. Same case as of jadeja....he had 3-300s yet found it tough going with bat in international cricket. Smashing bowlers in Fc is diff then bowlers of international cricket 

I'd like to see Gopal in the mix too, but I'm not going to endorse this sort of foolishness where you only want "wrist spinners" or players of a certain 'type'.

Isnt that how game is going. Ashwin-jadeja were good bowlers but finger spinner became irrelevant in LOI ......lyon best spinner in the world cant find a place in Aus ODI side permanently. There is a reason that wristies are working all around world in LOI and leagues 

I think you are overly obsessed with wrist-spinners - Markande has been in the mix, and the selectors must have had reason for excluding him.  Let's keep in mind that he's a very ordinary fielder and a rank bunny with the bat.  

Markhande hits the ball well like every tail ender shud....if batting n fielding skills are important then chahal shudnt play for India. His batting is much better then chahal . 

Bottomline - when you are selecting top 25 players, you cannot penalize a player who is consistently performing, simply because "he's been around for a while".   And you are still overlooking the fact that Axar's presence in these games, will test the young batsmen that will face him.  He's proven effective at constricting scoring - It will be good to see whether the new batsmen coming through can handle him and score against him - as opposed to throwing young flavors of the month, just for the sake of "a new name".   

We are talking about A-games where our young batsman wont face him But Sa young batsman wud and axar will also take wkts against SA but again what purpose does it serve.....high chance he wnt be a regular in Indian team unless he becomes vettori with ball or yuvraj with bat 

You do not base selection for your bench team and 'A' team simply based on short term needs.  It has to be a structured pathway, a pipeline that keeps producing players for you.  Kids sitting on sofas at home may think that they can pick Gopals and Gouthams out of a hat and make champion teams - but the job is considerably more complex than that.  If it was just about plucking random names who impress in a handful of games, the Pakistan team wouldn't have the record it has over the last 20 years.  And neither would the Indian team.  Look at both teams' selection process over the last 15 years and their records.  Unless you are intentionally blind and refuse to see it, the pattern is obvious. 

Too much structure is what is screwing us.......Subcontinetal speciallity was alway throwing those young talents in the deep sea....coz our system weren't as good as of Aus and it still isnt. 

Pakistan problem are entirely diff then ours

Picking right players will never be same as to rewarding performers.......thats why domestic perfomers doesn't guarantee international success .The diff in Good side n champion side will always be match winners n utility players

My logic is simple pick match winners and then utility player- i dont see Axar in 1st category for sure and in second better options are avl or atleast better skill set with whom we have enough time to groom for next WC . Axar has had his chances for so many years in A-games . 

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

coz our system weren't as good as of Aus and it still isnt. 

Our system is pretty damn good - nothing's perfect of course - but BCCI's cricket structure for domestics, and ample number of A tours and home fixtures are pretty much best in class.  And this system should get the credit for the fact that we are #1 or #2 across formats.  Its when and not if, that a dominant team emerges from India - and that's thanks to our structure.   You and I can quibble about a random Axar, or a Gopal. But largely, the structure we have in Indian cricket does a very good job of spreading opportunity.  And the selection pathways and processes are seen as reasonably fair.  This wasn't always the case - old folks like me have been around in the 90s, to see stupidity like Debang Gandhi and Noel David inflicted on us.

Take a closer look at any country's selection process, and you will see a LOT of complaints about selection and deserving guys missing out - even Eng/Aus.  India is no different.  There are always going to be difference of opinions about the odd player.  But we should appreciate our "structured" system more than we do. The grass may look greener elsewhere, but BCCI's lawn is pretty much world class.

44 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Our system is pretty damn good - nothing's perfect of course - but BCCI's cricket structure for domestics, and ample number of A tours and home fixtures are pretty much best in class.  And this system should get the credit for the fact that we are #1 or #2 across formats.  Its when and not if, that a dominant team emerges from India - and that's thanks to our structure.  

Still not as good as australia was....coz they use to play only 6 teams which made competition damn high...we have 37 teams in ranji 

We still make bad pitches in domestic 

You and I can quibble about a random Axar, or a Gopal. But largely, the structure we have in Indian cricket does a very good job of spreading opportunity.  And the selection pathways and processes are seen as reasonably fair.  This wasn't always the case - old folks like me have been around in the 90s, to see stupidity like Debang Gandhi and Noel David inflicted on us.

Yes We have come far from all the politics that prevailed in selection but shud we stop their......are we fully tapping in the talent avl i dont think so . 

Take a closer look at any country's selection process, and you will see a LOT of complaints about selection and deserving guys missing out - even Eng/Aus.  India is no different.  There are always going to be difference of opinions about the odd player.  But we should appreciate our "structured" system more than we do. The grass may look greener elsewhere, but BCCI's lawn is pretty much world class.

Im not demeaning our system all m saying is its not as good as australia in 90-200s . 

4 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Still not as good as australia was....coz they use to play only 6 teams which made competition damn high...we have 37 teams in ranji 

Do you have any clue what the population of Australia is?  Compare it to India's and then you will realize the foolishness of claiming that fewer teams in India is the way to go.  We already have divisional hierarchy within Ranji, that ensures that the top teams face up against each other.  At least once in a while, stop and think, before automatically assuming that a "gora" system is better.  Fewer teams is, without any doubt, NOT a better system for India. 

5 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Im not demeaning our system all m saying is its not as good as australia in 90-200s . 

Do you know that Aus cricket paid their domestic players the best salary in the world during that time?  That is what ensured that the best athletic talents who wanted to play cricket, were able to pursue it as a career.  Add to that the world class infrastructure and facilities for sports in general, and particularly cricket, in Australia, and you have the outcome of a great team.  The last 2 decades have seen steady improvement in financial incentives for players, as well as facilities across the country.  And while I don't love the babus of BCCI who still have too many corrupt uncles in them, you have to give credit to the organization for steadily improving facilities and stadiums in the country. 

Of course, if they were honest and hard working they could have already done more than they have.  But I'm not worried, because the incentives to pursue excellence are well established in India - there's simply too much money available and at stake. 

It is indeed true that our player development system and infrastructure and selection process have become much more systematic.  Our basic structure has improved a lot and regional bias has decreased.

There is a lot to appreciate.

That being said,  two things need improvement

1.  Not following the queue system so rigidly if a special talent is performing.  Now, I am not talking about selecting someone based on talent alone. He should perform at FC level and A-team level. But, when that happens, a special talent cannot be kept waiting just because a regular player has performed before him. 

2.  Increasing the number of India Red, Green and Blue matches and decreasing the number of Ranji league matches slightly.  This would keep the basic structure same while allowing the India prospects to play against other top players more frequently.  After all, it is a no brainer that a Gill would be better prepared if he faces an attack of Avesh, Warrier and Mavi as compared to a normal state team.  Or a Mavi would be tested much more if he has to bowl to Gill, Shaw and Anmolpreet.

5 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Yes We have come far from all the politics that prevailed in selection but shud we stop their......are we fully tapping in the talent avl i dont think so . 

Australian system is still the same as 90s. Why aren't they producing the same talent now?

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

It is indeed true that our player development system and infrastructure and selection process have become much more systematic.  Our basic structure has improved a lot and regional bias has decreased.

1.  Not following the queue system so rigidly if a special talent is performing.  Now, I am not talking about selecting someone based on talent alone. He should perform at FC level and A-team level. But, when that happens, a special talent cannot be kept waiting just because a regular player has performed before him. 

2.  Increasing the number of India Red, Green and Blue matches and decreasing the number of Ranji league matches slightly.  This would keep the basic structure same while allowing the India prospects to play against other top players more frequently.  After all, it is a no brainer that a Gill would be better prepared if he faces an attack of Avesh, Warrier and Mavi as compared to a normal state team.  Or a Mavi would be tested much more if he has to bowl to Gill, Shaw and Anmolpreet.

Those never work as players do not feel any affiliation. Zonal formats IMO are better ones. Not sure why BCCI has downgraded Duleep Trophy. Currently all 5 zones will have equally strong teams (East looks slightly weaker)

North Zone: Nitish Rana (C), Shubman Gill, Ankit Kalsi, Anmolpreet Singh, Dhruv Shorey, Mandeep Singh, Anuj Rawat (wk), Abhishek Sharma, Mayank Markande, Vikas Mishra, Chahal,, Saini, Khejroliya, Sid Kaul, Brinder Sran

Central Zone: Robin Bisht (C)Akash Nath, , Rinku Singh, Priyam Garg, Rajat Patidar, Upendra Yadav (wk), Mahipal Lomror, Saurabh Kumar, Rahul Chahar, Avesh Khan, Aniket Chaudhary, Shivam Mavi, Ankit Rajpoot

West Zone: Shreyas Iyer (C), Priyank Panchal, Rituraj Gaikwad, Ankit Bawne, Manpreet Juneja, Samuel Jackson, Sidhesh Lad, Shivam Dube, Wadkar (keeper), Sarwate, Dharmendra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Tushar Deshpande, Gurbani

South Zone: Manish Pandey (C), K Sidharth,  Akshat Reddy, Ricky Bhui, Baba Indrajith, Srikar Bharath (wk), Shreyas Gopal, Gowtham, Jalaj Saxena, Washington Sundar, Mohammad, Siraj, Sandeep Warrier, Basil Thampi,  Ronit More

East Zone: Manoj Tiwary (C), Abhimanyu Eshwaran, Ishank Jaggi, Shubhrangu Senapati, Kumar Deobrat, Ishan Kishan (wk), Anukul Roy, Nadeem, MB Murasingh, Mukhtar Hussain, Varun Aaron,  Ishan Porel, Mukesh Kumar

We could also invite one of the A sides from a foreign country to play in this one and rotate them, Am sure Eng, SA, Aus, NZ, WI will be interested. Each side plays the other one so 5 matches for each side, total 10 league matches and top 2 teams play the finals. Could be completed in a 6 week window at the start of the season.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Australian system is still the same as 90s. Why aren't they producing the same talent now?

coz pitches became flat once they start using drop in pitches......hows it same when the pitches in last few years became absolute pattas ? Also t20 leagues have promoted players to make themselves as t20 specialist n earn more....cant blame system for that . 

BBL has also interrupted their domestic setup. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
11 hours ago, sandeep said:

Do you have any clue what the population of Australia is?  Compare it to India's and then you will realize the foolishness of claiming that fewer teams in India is the way to go.  We already have divisional hierarchy within Ranji, that ensures that the top teams face up against each other.  At least once in a while, stop and think, before automatically assuming that a "gora" system is better.  Fewer teams is, without any doubt, NOT a better system for India. 

We use to play with 26=27 teams now we have reached 37....

Ok the population is huge diff but we just keep increasing teams .......

Chalo taken that excuse cant BCCI organise more tournaments like challenger trophy where best player compete ......look at the way duleep is happening ....washed out . Happens most times during duleep, deodhar games

11 hours ago, sandeep said:

Do you know that Aus cricket paid their domestic players the best salary in the world during that time?  That is what ensured that the best athletic talents who wanted to play cricket, were able to pursue it as a career.  Add to that the world class infrastructure and facilities for sports in general, and particularly cricket, in Australia, and you have the outcome of a great team.  The last 2 decades have seen steady improvement in financial incentives for players, as well as facilities across the country.  And while I don't love the babus of BCCI who still have too many corrupt uncles in them, you have to give credit to the organization for steadily improving facilities and stadiums in the country. 

Aus cricket doesnt have that kind of money What BCCI earns which is due to players itself 

Again arent u reading that m not denying our structure is good but still not as good as australia was....if u dont knw their system there are documentaries avl on youtube u can check them 

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

Exactly what m saying 

37 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Those never work as players do not feel any affiliation. Zonal formats IMO are better ones. Not sure why BCCI has downgraded Duleep Trophy. Currently all 5 zones will have equally strong teams (East looks slightly weaker)

North Zone: Nitish Rana (C), Shubman Gill, Ankit Kalsi, Anmolpreet Singh, Dhruv Shorey, Mandeep Singh, Anuj Rawat (wk), Abhishek Sharma, Mayank Markande, Vikas Mishra, Chahal,, Saini, Khejroliya, Sid Kaul, Brinder Sran

Central Zone: Robin Bisht (C)Akash Nath, , Rinku Singh, Priyam Garg, Rajat Patidar, Upendra Yadav (wk), Mahipal Lomror, Saurabh Kumar, Rahul Chahar, Avesh Khan, Aniket Chaudhary, Shivam Mavi, Ankit Rajpoot

West Zone: Shreyas Iyer (C), Priyank Panchal, Rituraj Gaikwad, Ankit Bawne, Manpreet Juneja, Samuel Jackson, Sidhesh Lad, Shivam Dube, Wadkar (keeper), Sarwate, Dharmendra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Tushar Deshpande, Gurbani

South Zone: Manish Pandey (C), K Sidharth,  Akshat Reddy, Ricky Bhui, Baba Indrajith, Srikar Bharath (wk), Shreyas Gopal, Gowtham, Jalaj Saxena, Washington Sundar, Mohammad, Siraj, Sandeep Warrier, Basil Thampi,  Ronit More

East Zone: Manoj Tiwary (C), Abhimanyu Eshwaran, Ishank Jaggi, Shubhrangu Senapati, Kumar Deobrat, Ishan Kishan (wk), Anukul Roy, Nadeem, MB Murasingh, Mukhtar Hussain, Varun Aaron,  Ishan Porel, Mukesh Kumar

We could also invite one of the A sides from a foreign country to play in this one and rotate them, Am sure Eng, SA, Aus, NZ, WI will be interested. Each side plays the other one so 5 matches for each side, total 10 league matches and top 2 teams play the finals. Could be completed in a 6 week window at the start of the season.

I was a big supporter of the zonal system. Always wanted more zonal matches for FC and List-A.  Was opposed to it when it was scrapped.

Hope it comes back but what are the realistic chances. !

We saw A-teams of Australia and SA  participating in our India Red, Blue etc. List-A tournament in 2018.  

I would love it if we have a big FC Zonal and A-team tournament.  This would allow a lot of Team India prospects to hone their skills against quality oppositions.

2 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Vidarbha is central zone, not west.  West are Mumbai, maharashtra, Goa, Saurashtra, Gujarat, Baroda.   Central are Rajasthan, UP, Chattisgarh, MP, Vidarbha

Just now, rkt.india said:

Vidarbha is central zone, not west.  West are Mumbai, maharashtra, Goa, Saurashtra, Gujarat, Baroda.   Central are Rajasthan, UP, Chattisgarh, MP, Vidarbha

Was.

There is no zonal concept currently. I have considered teams accordingly to ensure every team gets properly represented. West cannot just be about teams from Maharshtra and Gujarat (and a tiny Goa), better include all Maharashtra.

56 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Was.

There is no zonal concept currently. I have considered teams accordingly to ensure every team gets properly represented. West cannot just be about teams from Maharshtra and Gujarat (and a tiny Goa), better include all Maharashtra.

They will still be in central.  Zones are based on geography. also number of teams.  Otherwise, central will have only 4 teams in MP, UP, Rajasthan and a weak Chattisgarh.  OTOH, west zone is stronger despite having just two big states.

9 hours ago, express bowling said:

Shubman Gill, Prithvi Shaw, Hardik Pandya - all are examples where special talents got to take the express route to national debuts.  The Selectors only provide such express tickets when the player's skill-set happens to match a requirement in the national team's XI.   In Gill's case, he is even more of an exception, because there wasn't really a top order vacancy as such, but he was thrown in, precisely because he's considered to be a "special talent". 

And as much as I am not a fan of the MSK Prasad Selection committee - some of the blame for the conservatism and status-quo mentality, also has to go to our captain.  Virat has consistently and constantly been about 'backing seniors', right from the very first series he was given captaincy.  Way back in a Zim tour where he gave Jadeja 5 meaningless ODIs, even after the series was one, and no debut to Parvez Rasool -  at a time when India should have been auditioning all-round options. 

That being said, I am in strong agreeement with you - especially when it comes to pace bowlers.  You've got to catch 'em young, and throw them in the deep.  If you recall, I actually started a discussion thread on that exact topic, a couple of years ago. 

9 hours ago, express bowling said:

I'm all for such prioritization, but you do have to keep in mind the serious challenge of calendar management.  And its a tricky balance to maintain - you don't want to weaken the base FC structure too much either.   All things considered, the current schedule and pathway aren't too bad.  The fact that we are only discussing minor tweaks and not radical re-construction speaks for itself. 

Edited by sandeep
3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Aus cricket doesnt have that kind of money What BCCI earns which is due to players itself 

Again arent u reading that m not denying our structure is good but still not as good as australia was....if u dont knw their system there are documentaries avl on youtube u can check them 

Aus cricket has plenty of money.  Not as much as BCCI, but they are quite rich. 

I'm quite familiar with the Aus structure, and am asserting that the BCCI structure is better than theirs.  Especially now that the corrupt corporate-minded morons running Aus cricket have been trying to weaken their domestic structures.  They've made structural and schedule changes to their FC calendar which are almost unanimously criticized by entire Aus cricket fraternity, and they also tried to bully the Aus players into accepting a massive pay-cut for domestic players.  Your passive-aggressive attempt at a snide potshot aside, seems like you are unaware of these facts and your head is stuck in the 90s when it comes to Aus cricket 'structures'.