A spin-off thread regarding celebrating one country's independence while residing in another

ExtremeBrainfade

Let's assume that a significant number of people celebrating Indian independence and also ones protesting it were British citizens.  Then, a more general philosophical question arises:  Why would British citizens of Indian or Pakistani origin celebrate their respective Independence day in London?  For full disclosure, I have participated in Indian Independence celebrations in the US too, but after becoming a US citizen, I wonder what the significance is.  If some American citizens working in Hyderabad or Bengaluru's IT world decided to go on a procession on July 4th with stars and stripes, what would the reaction be?

Edited by ExtremeBrainfade

One should not confuse loyalty to identity. If there is a war between India and USA and if you as a US citizen are supporting India, then it is amounting to treason. That doesn't mean, you can't celebrate where you came from. US Expats do celebrate July 4th in whatever country they are in. Every ethnic group in US celebrate their country's identity and independence. We were in Punta Cana last yeat on July 4th and there was a big fireworks on July 4th and all of us US tourists participated and had fun. 

Edited by coffee_rules

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

One should not confuse loyalty to identity. If there is a war between India and USA and if you as a US citizen are supporting India, then it is amounting to treason. That doesn't mean, you can't celebrate where you came from. US Expats do celebrate July 4th in whatever country they are in. Every ethnic group in US celebrate their country's identity and independence. We were in Punta Cana last yeat on July 4th and there was a big fireworks on July 4th and all of us US tourists participated and had fun. 

Good points.  

1 hour ago, ExtremeBrainfade said:

Let's assume that a significant number of people celebrating Indian independence and also ones protesting it were British citizens.  Then, a more general philosophical question arises:  Why would British citizens of Indian or Pakistani origin celebrate their respective Independence day in London? 

Connection to their ethnicity, place of forefathers etc. I guess not all celebrating were British citizens per se, but still no problem if British citizens of Indian origin want to meet up, pay homage to their land of origin (in some way almost everyone had a role in freedom struggle, be it something as simple as going swadeshi by their great grandparents), participate in some cultural activities etc. They don't have too many avenues to get in touch with their roots...max Indan movies/songs, cricket and other sports, cultural events, festivals, Indian PM visit etc...I-day celebrations come under that cover. Many Americans take pride in their Italian/Irish/Mexican ancestry if I am not wrong...agree with @coffee_rules's point about this not being treason.

For full disclosure, I have participated in Indian Independence celebrations in the US too, but after becoming a US citizen, I wonder what the significance is.

If you wanna participate ok, if you identify completely as an American and don't want to that is also fine. If you are bored of such events understandable, many of my colleagues didn't turn up for flag hoisting ceremony in the campus this time....you are a US citizen, don't need to feel guilty even if you miss it. Full freedom as is common especially in that part of the world.

But it will be advisable to maintain some sort of link with India (general point, nothing to do with I-day), just my opinion. Being Indian origin is your identity and if tomorrow you have a major problem, apart from US govt only GOI will even bother to spare a thought for you. People in India will have some sort of emotional connection with you and if you make it big Indians will celebrate your success, right or wrong that is what we are. Apne toh apne hote hain...unless you forcefully reject your connection to India a la Bobby Jindal :laugh:

If some American citizens working in Hyderabad or Bengaluru's IT world decided to go on a procession on July 4th with stars and stripes, what would the reaction be?

People would be curious to know what it is all about, cos not many here know about the significance of 4th July. No one will protest, just some curious, surprised faces and who knows some may even join you as long as there are refreshments on offer:p:

US is not an enemy country, if there were a Pak or Chinese (lesser problem, common in Kolkata) procession obviously things could end differently. If Bangladeshi procession I would personally lodge a police complaint, had enough of those illegals....but unlikely to ever see them come out in the open cos they are good at maintaining low profiles, mixing with locals, getting documents one way or the other, feigning and avoiding spotlight, very cunning. 

Edited by Gollum