Virat Kohli's technique

I have been watching some of his recent footage (tour to SA, Eng and Aus). Seems like there is very common mode of dismissal where he lunges his bat outside the off stump and gets an edge which is either pounched in the slips or gully region or ball goes in the air to third man.

Now there have been very few batsmen who were masters of outside the off-stump to a moving ball, but I do not think SRT or Sunny or Smith looks/looked this ugly when edging the ball to the slips. While he gets a big stride forward and to the off than he did before, but this is still an eye-sore.

What do you guys think? Who do you think was the best in this regard? I think this is one of the toughest line to master.

48 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

I have been watching some of his recent footage (tour to SA, Eng and Aus). Seems like there is very common mode of dismissal where he lunges his bat outside the off stump and gets an edge which is either pounched in the slips or gully region or ball goes in the air to third man.

Now there have been very few batsmen who were masters of outside the off-stump to a moving ball, but I do not think SRT or Sunny or Smith looks/looked this ugly when edging the ball to the slips. While he gets a big stride forward and to the off than he did before, but this is still an eye-sore.

What do you guys think? Who do you think was the best in this regard? I think this is one of the toughest line to master.

It is because cover drive has been his go to shot. He doesn't have a  square cut like Sachin or even pujara. Although recently he has added 'square cut' to his armoury, it is still work in progress. 

Edited by Insidious

Rat will be exposed on the new seaming pitches of West Indies. He and Shat are talking about dominance but I would suggest to them to watch the highlights of England's last tour there. Dukes ball, seaming pitches, tall fast bowlers... I full expect everyone except Pujara to fail thoroughly. With the inclusion of Rohit and Rahane, Indian middle order is ripe for the plundering. 

I think problem for him is his judgement , he still has no clue where his offstump is, he will always be suspect against moving ball.He is also suspect against quality spin unlike other great Indian batsmen he plays spin with hard hands.It is a wonder that he has acheived so much even with those glaring weaknesses.

Sachin almost had picture perfect technique even those he also had his share of problems against swing bowling.

24 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I think problem for him is his judgement , he still has no clue where his offstump is, he will always be suspect against moving ball.He is also suspect against quality spin unlike other great Indian batsmen he plays spin with hard hands.It is a wonder that he has acheived so much even with those glaring weaknesses.

Sachin almost had picture perfect technique even those he also had his share of problems against swing bowling.

everyone has problems against swing bowling.

45 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He has achieve so much he has sheer will power to succeed. Technique is important but you also need right attitude and will power to succeed in international level. Smith and Kohli are prime example of that. 

5 minutes ago, Insidious said:

He has achieve so much he has sheer will power to succeed. Technique is important but you also need right attitude and will power to succeed in international level. Smith and Kohli are prime example of that. 

Yes thats why I always rated Kohli higher over Sachin even with his world cup flops.IMO bowlers are unable decipher Smith yet, guys like Mcgrath or Ambrose would have done it by now.

28 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I know every body has problem with swing but Virat's problems are different.

Virat was our best batsman in 2013-14 and also in 2017-18 tour of South Africa. Virat was our best batsman in 2018 tour of England. Virat was also our best batsman in Perth, the only venue in Australia in the last tour where the ball actually swung. And yet he has problem against swing bowling. Why? Because he had one bad tour of England back in 2013-14. Or more importantly because he failed to defend an inswinging delivery of Boult in a world cup semifinal. 

Considering the same logic, Sachin should also be labelled as some one who was poor against short deliveries as he failed against an innocuous short delivery of Glenn McGrath in 2003 world cup final.

This not directed towards op but I am really frustrated towards anti-kohli bandwagon promoted by this forum 

Edited by Insidious

Nothing wrong with his technique.....ull find glitch with most top players time to time. Every batsman struggles against good outside off line specially when its moving. 

Kohli's issues are very small -

at start of innings he is anxious so he chases the ball oustide off

Against spin - his intensity drops hence concentration down....he looses it

In KO- its pressure thats gets on to him.......then he gets out in ways which he wont most days

Itna imperfection chalta hai or else players wont be human 

11 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

It swung in Adelaide as well, you must be suffering from kind of Amnesia :cantstop:

The ball didn't swung/seamed alarmingly in Adelaide as it was in Perth. Kohli played a rash shot there. Even Rohit was comfortable on that pitch before he did harakiri against Lyon. Have seen Rohit Sharma batting in swinging conditions? That man can't survive two minutes.

But  again we will be forced to believe that Adelaide match was played in swinging conditions. Why? Because Kohli failed there. Why? Because he failed against an incoming delivery from Boult in WC semifinal, which made him the greatest villain of indian cricket. 

Yes he had issues outside off stump around 2013-14 but he has worked on it and has done well since then in England, SA and even in Aus when there was some swing.

Every batsman is vulnerable outside off stump especially when he is new to the crease and especially when the ball is moving. That's the reason why they have 3 or 4 damn slip fielders. But because he is considered one of the best, some people tend to nitpick his every failure. Same happened to Sachin when he used to play and same will happen to batsmen after Kohli as well.

18 hours ago, Insidious said:

Virat was our best batsman in 2013-14 and also in 2017-18 tour of South Africa. Virat was our best batsman in 2018 tour of England. Virat was also our best batsman in Perth, the only venue in Australia in the last tour where the ball actually swung. And yet he has problem against swing bowling. Why? Because he had one bad tour of England back in 2013-14. Or more importantly because he failed to defend an inswinging delivery of Boult in a world cup semifinal. 

Considering the same logic, Sachin should also be labelled as some one who was poor against short deliveries as he failed against an innocuous short delivery of Glenn McGrath in 2003 world cup final.

This not directed towards op but I am really frustrated towards anti-kohli bandwagon promoted by this forum 

Virat is our best batsman, everyone can have bad tours. My point was about technique, Kohli is more susceptible around offstump than other greats.Viv Richards also had the problem.But it didn't stop him from becoming ATG.

Kohli's will to succeed is so great that he has overcome lot of his deficiencies.