2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics buildup

Gollum

great thread OP. but I don't think we will 14 medals as that prediction you posted. too many players bottle it in the KO stages. they have learnt from guru-ji (captain ratman). people like deepika kumari and mary kom, for instance, have tended to under perform.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:51 AM, Gollum said:

Sindhu's main threat will be Tai Tzu. She beat her this time in the QF but when the Taiwanese player is anywhere close to her best, no  woman stands a chance against her. 

I would also not write off marin, even if her peak has presumably passed.

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

great thread OP. but I don't think we will 14 medals as that prediction you posted. too many players bottle it in the KO stages. they have learnt from guru-ji (captain ratman). people like deepika kumari and mary kom, for instance, have tended to under perform.

Even I am not convinced, but that is the prediction by a renowned sporting agency, link there in the article. 

I will be happy if we surpass London haul...don't care about gold. If we win a medal in athletics or rowing I will settle for even less than 6 !!! We need to diversify...can't always depend on shooting, wrestling, badminton.

Unfair to make that assessment about Mary, women's boxing was first introduced in London 2012 by which time she was way past her peak....she did win a bronze going down to the local girl (Nicola Adams) and eventual gold medalist who btw also won Rio gold and became a big shot in professional boxing. Mary was sidelined from Rio under controversial circumstances, a lot of regional politics involved. 1 appearance, 1 bronze at least 5 years post her peak doesn't warrant comparison with the asshole bratman. Deepika is a choker, in fact entire archery squad is full of mental midgets. 

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

I would also not write off marin, even if her peak has presumably passed.

There are many threats, Marin with her mental toughness and gamesmanship will be a challenge. But the Taiwanese #1 is from a different planet, when she gets going even Marin gets treated like a school girl. And since Tokyo is the host nation, watch out for the Japanese girls, 2-3 serious threats who will be buoyed by the home crowd. 

Btw Marin is just 26, not in news because she is recovering from a major knee surgery. 

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

good article. I think sindhu, a couple of shooters (bhaker and 1-2 more), punia could stand on the podium but not much more.

Let us wait and watch, see how many qualify and then analyze the competition. I am optimistic about wrestling, watching it closely and damn what an addictive/entertaining sport it is, will highly recommend it to everyone here !!!!  I have some hopes from other sports but will wait and observe. 

Sport by sport analysis can be done after all qualification spots are sealed, too early now. We can only wish and hope record number of our participants qualify.

Good to see a fellow Olympics enthusiast here, we will have a lot to discuss in the coming months, hopefully. Also you @randomGuy, let us keep this thread alive and kicking....Olympics isn't just about 1 fortnight every 4 years, long journey for our sportspersons. We often forget their journey and tune in just during Games, at least on ICF let us do things differently.

Edited by Gollum

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Even I am not convinced, but that is the prediction by a sporting agency, link there in the article. 

I will be happy if we surpass London haul.

There are many threats, Marin with her mental toughness and gamesmanship will be a challenge. But the Taiwanese #1 is from a different planet, when she gets going even Marin gets treated like a school girl. And since Tokyo is the host nation, watch out for the Japanese girls, 2-3 serious threats who will be buoyed by the home crowd. 

Let us wait and watch, see how many qualify and then analyze the competition. I am optimistic about wrestling, watching it closely and damn what an entertaining sport it is !!!! 

Sport by sport analysis can be done after all qualification spots are sealed, too early now. We can only wish and hope record number of our participants qualify.

agree with all of you wrote. more specifically, Tai Tzu-ying is indeed a beast when in form+fitness. Almost feels as though she is wasting her talents in the women's circuit. As you wrote, she can give anyone (yamaguchi, okuhara, sindhu, marin) a real spanking as though they were school girls and she was the headmistress.

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

agree with all of you wrote. more specifically, Tai Tzu-ying is indeed a beast when in form+fitness. Almost feels as though she is wasting her talents in the women's circuit. As you wrote, she can give anyone (yamaguchi, okuhara, sindhu, marin) a real spanking as though they were school girls and she was the headmistress.

yeah edited my post, added a lot more. See if you agree. 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

yeah edited my post, added a lot more. See if you agree. 

yep, definitely.

22 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Good to see a fellow Olympics enthusiast here, we will have a lot to discuss in the coming months, hopefully. Also you @randomGuy, let us keep this thread alive and kicking....Olympics isn't just about 1 fortnight every 4 years, long journey for our sportspersons. We often forget their journey and tune in just during Games, at least on ICF let us do things differently.

For me, my order of importance (clearly a personal choice) is: Olympics, cricket WC, football WC, wimbledon, other 3 grand slams. If I was around in the 1960s-70s, would have bumped hockey to the top and replaced Cricket WC with it.

24 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Unfair to make that assessment about Mary, women's boxing was first introduced in London 2012 by which time she was way past her peak....she did win a bronze going down to the local girl (Nicola Adams) and eventual gold medalist who btw also won Rio gold and became a big shot in professional boxing. Mary was sidelined from Rio under controversial circumstances, a lot of regional politics involved. 1 appearance, 1 bronze at least 5 years post her peak doesn't warrant comparison with the asshole bratman. Deepika is a choker, in fact entire archery squad is full of mental midgets. 

Btw Marin is just 26, not in news because she is recovering from a major knee surgery. 

I agree Kom is far better than choker ratman, and that she was not at her peak, but I expected more than a bronze. glad that we agree on the archery team: bunch of midgets, both mental and physical.

who are 2-3 serious jap threats: I only know of yamaguchi and okuhara, am I missing out on 1-2 more?

30 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I will be happy if we surpass London haul...don't care about gold. If we win a medal in athletics or rowing I will settle for even less than 6 !!! We need to diversify...can't always depend on shooting, wrestling, badminton.

I too will be happy if we exceed london. But I do want to see 1-2 golds at least. Regd diversification, there has to be a balance between preserving our strong points and branching out. look at britain: they generally did well in horsey stuff (equesterian) and some "sports"in the past  and they maintained dominance in those areas while expanding into new frontiers in 2012.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

For me, my order of importance (clearly a personal choice) is: Olympics, cricket WC, football WC, wimbledon, other 3 grand slams. If I was around in the 1960s-70s, would have bumped hockey to the top and replaced Cricket WC with it.

For me tennis over cricket, obsessed with Fed. Also love hockey esp the great Dutch teams of the past and Indian team of last 3-4 years (heartbreaks notwithstanding :((), of late wrestling and badminton...basically any sport where we have half decent athletes. But nothing filled me with more pride than when Vishy won his world titles and supertourneys, nothing hit me harder than his defeat to Carlsen in the 2014 rematch.. a match where he was the better player in over 60% of the games before age kicked in. I don't even understand chess that well, never been trained, but something about the history and glory associated....developed interest since early days of Sportstar subscription when Kasparov was king. Honestly Vishy's world titles, each one of them has more prestige than any of our cricket or hockey WC wins or Olympic golds. That too when he became world champ, he was the 2nd (after Bobby Fischer) from non USSR states in over 80 years !!!!

I agree Kom is far better than choker ratman, and that she was not at her peak, but I expected more than a bronze. glad that we agree on the archery team: bunch of midgets, both mental and physical.

Nicola Adams was too good man, even peak Mary would have found it tough I guess. 

who are 2-3 serious jap threats: I only know of yamaguchi and okuhara, am I missing out on 1-2 more?

Nah, just went with the flow of my post. I know only these 2. 

Edited by Gollum

27 minutes ago, Gollum said:

For me tennis over cricket, obsessed with Fed. Also love hockey esp the great Dutch teams of the past and Indian team of last 3-4 years (heartbreaks notwithstanding :((), of late wrestling and badminton...basically any sport where we have half decent athletes. But nothing filled me with more pride than when Vishy won his world titles and supertourneys, nothing hit me harder than his defeat to Carlsen in the 2014 rematch.. a match where he was the better player in over 60% of the games before age kicked in. I don't even understand chess that well, never been trained, but something about the history and glory associated....developed interest since early days of Sportstar subscription when Kasparov was king. Honestly Vishy's world titles, each one of them has more prestige than any of our cricket or hockey WC wins or Olympic golds. That too when he became world champ, he was the 2nd (after Bobby Fischer) from non USSR states in over 80 years !!!!

Nicola Adams was too good man, even peak Mary would have found it tough I guess. 

Nah, just went with the flow of my post. I know just these 2. 

Big admirer of Fed's game (who doesn't love its purity?), but Nole is a bit higher for me. you should see some of our hockey highlights from 30s to 60s. they were spellbinding players despite the poor footage, primitive sticks and facilities, old-school tactics, etc. I didn't include chess since my list was about outdoor sports. No shame in anand losing to carlsen, who went to subsequently become one of the ATGs. we can be rightly proud of anand. I don't think he was kasparov-level (but no one was, except for bobby fischer at his erratic best) but he probably india's 2nd or 3rd best sportsperson IMO after dhyan chand and balbir singh sr (two GOAT hockey gods).

Edited by Vijy

46 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I too will be happy if we exceed london. But I do want to see 1-2 golds at least. Regd diversification, there has to be a balance between preserving our strong points and branching out. look at britain: they generally did well in horsey stuff (equesterian) and some "sports"in the past  and they maintained dominance in those areas while expanding into new frontiers in 2012.

I think more than "some". Team GB was always very good (sometimes dominant) in rowing, cycling, sailing, boxing, shooting, archery etc and also excellent in some of the athletics disciplines. We are nowhere that diverse. I get what you are suggesting, but a better example would be South Korea.

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I think more than "some". Team GB was always very good (sometimes dominant) in rowing, cycling, sailing, boxing, shooting, archery etc and also excellent in some of the athletics disciplines. We are nowhere that diverse. I get what you are suggesting, but a better example would be South Korea.

true. GB was always good. but they had "only" 15 medals in '96 which went up to 65 and 67 in '12 and '16. they invested heavily in the 00s onward and did some excellent long-term planning.

south korea has kind of stagnated since '88 tbh.

Edited by Vijy

Just now, Vijy said:

Big admirer of Fed's game (who doesn't love its purity?), but Nole is a bit higher for me. you should see some of our hockey highlights from 30s to 60s. they were spellbinding players despite the poor footage, primitive sticks and facilities, old-school tactics, etc. I didn't include chess since my list was about outdoor sports. No shame in anand losing to carlsen, who went to subsequently become one of the ATGs. we can be rightly proud of anand. I don't think he was kasparov-level (but no one was, except for bobby fischer at his erratic best) but he probably india's 2nd or 3rd best sportsperson IMO after dhyan chand and balbir singh sr (two ATG hockey gods).

I agree Nole is higher, agree with a heavy heart. 

Kasparov, Carlsen will be in contention for GOAT title, Anand will struggle to make top 5 (Kasparov, Carlsen, Karpov, Capablanca, Fischer IMO, order can vary), but shoe-in for top 10 (will probably fight for 6th place above Botvinik and Alekhine by the time he ends his career). Because of the competition in chess and the fact that he broke USSR/Russian domination I think Anand is our greatest. And tougher in a discipline where we had no standard before him (behind Bangladesh LOL), the odds he conquered OMG. 

3 hours ago, G_B_ said:

Excellent thread

I think india should aim for 20 medals. Ie in contention for a medal. Will end up with 5 to 7 medals.

it seems to me that a total of around 5 is indeed likely although it's too early to call.

46 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Watch it mate !!! Curling was invented in Scotland and is a very popular winter sport . 

curling is alright, but there are much better sports to originate from britain: cricket, rounders, badminton, blah blah.

I hope we come back to the original thread: 2020 olympics

2 huge developments:

Hockey Olympic Qualifiers: India men to play Russia, women draw tricky USA

Win this and qualify for the Olympics, easy match up for the men, tough for women but still they will be slight favorites.

India dominated the ISSF WC :hatsoff:.

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India (IND) 16 4 2 22
2 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China (CHN) 8 13 16 37
3 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States (USA) 5 5 2 12
4 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia (RUS) 4 5 3 12
5 23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png Hungary (HUN) 4 1 1 6
6 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy (ITA) 3 2 6 11
7 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany (GER) 3 2 1 6
8 23px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png Croatia (CRO) 3 2 0 5
9 23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.s Australia (AUS) 3 1 4 8
10 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic (CZE) 2 0 1 3

Edited by Gollum

World Athletics Championships going on in Doha, Annu Rani in javelin final, NR, 5th best in qualifying. Mostly we have done badly, only positive being finishing 7th in mixed 4x400 relay...baton change was extremely poor. No Neeraj, no Hima...neither fully fit. 

Bahrain and Qatar with their African imports, buying talent :facepalm:

China has been a revelation, is there something they can't do?

Table standing at present (ANA=Russia...cos of doping scandal)

Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States (USA) 4 7 2 13
2 22px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China (CHN) 2 2 2 6
3 22px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png Jamaica (JAM) 2 2 0 4
4 22px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png Kenya (KEN) 2 0 1 3
22px-ANA_flag_%282017%29.svg.png Authorised Neutral Athletes (ANA)[1] 2 0 0 2
5 22px-Flag_of_Ethiopia.svg.png Ethiopia (ETH) 1 2 0 3
6 22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan (JPN) 1 0 0 1
22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands (NED) 1 0 0 1
22px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway (NOR) 1 0 0 1
22px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden (SWE) 1 0 0 1
22px-Flag_of_Uganda.svg.png Uganda (UGA) 1 0 0 1