Is KL Rahul proving everyone wrong

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

After a bad 2018 ending with the Australian test series, he was averaging 35.3 before this test.  (   You referred to his average after a bad year, so this figure )

Because he almost always punches below his weight.

Thats called not tapping ur potential to fullest not mentally week...he hasnt reached his peek . Did yuvraj or rohit tap their potential till long . Even jadeja has become better in later part of career

I remeber symonds saying how monky gate mentally destroyed him . Guys like pandya n Kl came from KWK controversy shows they are mentally tough. He also hasnt enjoyed TM confidence yet he is fighting back 

A superlative talent averaging 35 after 35 tests  at age 27 ... not a single big overseas series where he has averaged 50+ ... keeps throwing his wicket away even when in form 

Yuvraj Singh was an impact player.  On his day, he was unstoppable.

On his best days even rahul is unstoppable we all saw his 199 at home against Eng or 150 aroun in england last year

he has 2-100 in t20s

he can damage as well, if we are talking about his Wc batting....well its already established he wasnt batting at his best . When we are talking about yuvraj...at start of career he was quite bad against spin yet the team backed n understood....KL is a good player of both pace n spin

Didnt yuvraj singh or rohit kept threwing wkts at start of their career, he has 11 100s in test cant be throwing his wkt all time. Some days everyone wud 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
22 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Thats called not tapping ur potential to fullest not mentally week...he hasnt reached his peek . Did yuvraj or rohit tap their potential till long . Even jadeja has become better in later part of career

I remeber symonds saying how monky gate mentally destroyed him . Guys like pandya n Kl came from KWK controversy shows they are mentally tough. He also hasnt enjoyed TM confidence yet he is fighting back 

On his best days even rahul is unstoppable we all saw his 199 at home against Eng or 150 aroun in england last year

he has 2-100 in t20s

he can damage as well, if we are talking about his Wc batting....well its already established he wasnt batting at his best . When we are talking about yuvraj...at start of career he was quite bad against spin yet the team backed n understood....KL is a good player of both pace n spin

Didnt yuvraj singh or rohit kept threwing wkts at start of their career, he has 11 100s in test cant be throwing his wkt all time. Some days everyone wud 

If you are happy with what a talent like Rahul has done in the last four and a half years, good for you.   

I am deeply disappointed. (  being someone who wanted him to succeed for a long time )

To each his own.

P.s -  Rohit and Yuvraj,  because of their tendencies to throw their wickets away,  never became good test players.  And I fear the same about Rahul.  He can become a very good T20 player though.

Edited by express bowling
8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

If you are happy with what a talent like Rahul has done in the last four and a half years, good for you.   

M not happy but neither m i disappointed......i knw such phases comes n has happened with many players before. Like a long bad patch ...comes a long good patch to which most often will turn avg into damn good player.

I feel players like hardik, pant, rahul, shaw, gill, rahul chahar, Saini, siraj are special talent.....so i beileve in backing these guys to hill, sometimes even longer then bearable......coz it can give great results  in future . So ull see me backing these guys to no length

P.s -  Rohit and Yuvraj,  because of their tendencies to throw their wickets away,  never became good test players.  And I fear the same about Rahul.  He can become a very good T20 player though.

and we are talking about rahul who has shown his ability in test....so if those guys were backed n they came through why wont KL .

Rahul has already shown he can play test.....those 2 were even struggling to do that. With rohit its clear he cant score overseas....with rahul we knw he can n he has.....so thats the diff.

With guys like pant n KL i feel they are far better at start then someone like yuvi n rohit were and they came through.....so will these guys irrespective of formats coz they have shown they can play all formats 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

He proved everyone right by getting out after playing himself in, he might never be consistent and his technique has changed a lot.Unlike Yuvraj who never got decent run in test cricket, this guy has been getting consistent chance only for him to screw everything.All those hundreds he scored  were scored on flat Pattas.I don't think he will keep getting chances once Shaw is ready.Gill should have been in the side .

4 hours ago, express bowling said:

Ha ha 

This Kohli stat is taken just after that disastrous England tour of 5 test matches in 2014. 

It is perhaps the only time in Kohli's career when his average dropped below 40. ( after he played 10 tests  )

Kohli's average went up sharply just after that, in the Australia tour of 2014.

Problem with Rahul is that he has had low averages almost all his test career.  Mid 2016 to mid 2017 was his only consistent time and in that period there were no big away tours.

And, at 27,  after playing 35 tests and averaging 35 odd ... Rahul is neither a youngster nor an inexperienced guy.

Kohli wouldn't avg 50 if he opened the innings, same reason why SMG is till considered one of the top 2 test bats we've ever had along with SRT. This is not a patch on Kohli but just the way how things are at the top of the order, I'd take a 40 avg opener (away from home) everyday, in this age of DRS.

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

Kohli wouldn't avg 50 if he opened the innings, same reason why SMG is till considered one of the top 2 test bats we've ever had along with SRT. This is not a patch on Kohli but just the way how things are at the top of the order, I'd take a 40 avg opener (away from home) everyday, in this age of DRS.

Kohli averaged almost 54 before this test. Even if we reduce it by 4 or 5 if he opened, it would still be around 50 or just less.

But, more importantly ... the approach of a Kohli or a Pujara nowadays or of top batsmen of yesteryears  like a SRT or a Dravid or SMG or a Sehwag were very different from Rahul in the sense that they all had or have tremendous hunger to score runs. 

Rahul has the talent to reach a similar level ... but, till now, this hunger for runs is missing.

And this is what worries me about him ... much more than his average of 35.

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

Kohli averaged almost 54 before this test. Even if we reduce it by 4 or 5 if he opened, it would still be around 50 or just less.

But, more importantly ... the approach of a Kohli or a Pujara nowadays or of top batsmen of yesteryears  like a SRT or a Dravid or SMG or a Sehwag were very different from Rahul in the sense that they all had or have tremendous hunger to score runs. 

Rahul has the talent to reach a similar level ... but, till now, this hunger for runs is missing.

And this is what worries me about him ... much more than his average of 35.

True. KL seems to be more interested in giving media interviews and other PR work than scoring hundreds. 

Where I have problem with KL in Tests is that hes going to try something different/stupid in next innings . He did everything right today and looked most relaxed I have seen him in 2 years , was unlucky with the way he got out ..but I wont be surprised if he changes his approach again , rather than just building on this good little innings . 

no no .... Rahul still remains the same.... out on 44 once after well settling in . This is his range in tests . He will score big on flat pitches.That too once in a blue moon. This sort of batsman is ok for a nation with far lesser talent pool, not with India. We should keep on trying & testing other talents until we get a Rahul Dravid, not KL Rahul.

47 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he needs to kick on and make bigger scores, not just 30s and 50s.

You cannot judge someone's performance merely by looking at the runs against his name.
His runs came at a crucial time when the team was reeling with three early wickets. 

According to me, he already proved most of us wrong by showing his ability to play solid innings under pressure. He is still young and has time on his hands to become the complete cricketer we want him to be. 

Just now, sarcastic said:

You cannot judge someone's performance merely by looking at the runs against his name.
His runs came at a crucial time when the team was reeling with three early wickets. 

According to me, he already proved most of us wrong by showing his ability to play solid innings under pressure. He is still young and has time on his hands to become the complete cricketer we want him to be. 

how exactly is he young? he is only a couple of yrs younger than kane and has played enough tests. if we are satisfied with openers who avg 35, this means that we have regressed to the 1980s and 1990s. from 1990s onward, we have had at least one opener who avg 40 (sidhu, sehwag, gambhir, dhawan, etc). no doubt that KLR has plenty of talent, but making 30s is not good enough for a top order batsman.