Steve Smith reclaims No.1 Test ranking from Virat Kohli

Nikola

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

In tests for sure. 

Hasn't done anything great in the other 2 formats.

Has won worldcup for aus by playing 3 great knocks in quarter, semi final & finals. I will say he isn't that good in odi & t20 bilateral series though.

Edited by Nikola
2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

That is very laudable and showcases his temperament. But would not make this the Smith era in ODIs just yet. Needs to be more consistent too.

I would take someone who avg 45 - 50 who will win me big matches than someone who scores meaningless runs in meaningless matches and averages 60 in odis. Not talking about smith here but i will prefer to take big match player over high average player.

37 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Has won worldcup for aus by playing 3 great knocks in quarter, semi final & finals. I will say he isn't that good in odi & t20 bilateral series though.

Even Kohli won world cup and CT .Collis King scored 86 in world cup finals, it does not make him better batsman than Gordon Greenidge.

There is no contest between Smith and Kohli overall.It is Kohli by long shot.Yes Kohli needs to show up in knock out matches in odis.That is a blot in his career but it does not take away from his brilliance as an Odi batsman.

There are many batsmen who have had more impact in test cricket than Sachin even in his prime but when coupled with Odis Sachin stood out.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

Even Kohli won world cup and CT .Collis King scored 86 in world cup finals, it does not make him better batsman than Gordon Greenidge.

Difference between one and 3 back to back match winning innings in knockout matches. Smith has alot to improve in odis though but you can't ignore his knockout stats. Even this year worldcup semis he was winning them match but ran out of partner on other end.

Only in India people celebrate useless centuries in biletral, impact wise even Rohit and dhwan has better ICC performance than choker biletral king kohli. But if he doesn't do his act right he ll be like rich man Amla performance s without a substance. Current generation stokes and Smith has played more iconic inning than anybody else. These 2 are real star of this generation and from India if bumrah continue like this he ll be remembered as most iconic player than useless century king.

1 minute ago, bahubali said:

Only in India people celebrate useless centuries in biletral, impact wise even Rohit and dhwan has better ICC performance than choker biletral king kohli. But if he doesn't do his act right he ll be like rich man Amla performance s without a substance. Current generation stokes and Smith has played more iconic inning than anybody else. These 2 are real star of this generation and from India if bumrah continue like this he ll be remembered as most iconic player than useless century king.

True, Kohli scores no century, gets out when team needed most in semis and next two innings vs WI in odis he scores 100s easily which he can't do in whole worldcup. Atleast he should have faked that he was out of form imo.

5 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

I wonder how immature and dumb you have to be to put down one batsman(who is excellent and a match winner) to praise another. I swear all these people are insecure, jealous rats who scramble out of their sewers to put down someone just to feel better about themselves.

Match winner my foot...if you read thread title it's related to 2 players which we are discussing of. You can be happy with his biletral centuries good for you but others expect better performances in tournament which matter the most and yes he is no body in front of Smith in terms of iconic performances in iconic series.

5 minutes ago, bahubali said:

Match winner my foot...if you read thread title it's related to 2 players which we are discussing of. You can be happy with his biletral centuries good for you but others expect better performances in tournament which matter the most and yes he is no body in front of Smith in terms of iconic performances in iconic series.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with an idiot like you, if you think Kohli scores only in bilaterals. He has scored match winning knocks in World T20 games, World Cup games, Champions Trophy as well. 

1 minute ago, kubrickian said:

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with an idiot like you, if you think Kohli scores only in bilaterals. He has scored match winning knocks in World T20 games, World Cup games, Champions Trophy as well. 

Just like a couple of t20 games when he was in terrific form that year after a stellar IPL. CT knock was good. Nothing special. He has choked miserably in important games in ODIs where he is no doubt in terms of ability Superior than Smith but mentally he has to improve.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

There is no contest between Smith and Kohli overall.It is Kohli by long shot.Yes Kohli needs to show up in knock out matches in odis.That is a blot in his career but it does not take away from his brilliance as an Odi batsman.

Scoring in bilaterals is a norm for good batsmen. Scoring in both bilaterals and knockouts and / or important pressure matches are stuffs of legends or great batsmen which Kohli isn't. Smith scores both in bilaterals and important matches.

Edited by Pollack