How to fit Shubman Gill in our ODI team?

SecondSlip

Everyone wants Gill in the ODI side including myself, but how are we actually supposed to get him in!? In my view, as much as I want Shubman in the team, I think it will be tough because of our combination. Let’s have a look: 

- Rohit & Dhawan are our first choice openers with Rahul & Agarwal chosen as back up. Prithvi Shaw will most likely come into the scheme of things as well in the near future. So no room for Gill here at the moment. 

- Kohli is our captain and he will play majority of games unless he decides to rest. Even if Gill plays at #3, it will only be for a very short while until Kohli returns. A special player like Gill needs to be a permanent member of this team. So this option is also ruled out. 

- In recent times, it looks like Iyer and Pandey will fight it out for the #4 spot in the side. Since Iyer has done a good job in WI, he deserves a very long run at #4 without any interruptions. The team management might also use KL Rahul at #4 in the future if Iyer doesn’t work out. Besides, I don’t think the management views Gill as a #4 going forward from what I noticed! Also, Rayudu just recently came back from retirement and we all know how much Captain Kohli loves his “experienced” players :laugh: 

- At #5, we will play our wicketkeeper. Rishabh Pant should get a very long run at this position to cement it as his own. The selectors should include Ishan Kishan as his back up. He deserves it. 

- We will need a batsman at #6 who can bowl a bit of part time stuff to share the work load with Pandya and to fill in if any of the main bowlers are having a bad day. I want Kedar Jadhav kicked out of the team like everyone on this website but the only reason why he’s still there is because he can bowl and nobody else can. This is the reality and we need to live it. Unfortunately Gill doesn’t bowl, so he’s not even in the picture for this! 

- Our #7 will always be an allrounder. Whether it is Hardik Pandya or Ravindra Jadeja remains to be seen at the toss of each ODI match. 

So as we have noticed, it’s very hard to fit Gill in the current ODI side. Almost all the spots are taken and there are lots of competition as well. But, if you were part of the team management, how would you fit Gill in the team and which position would you play him at? 

Leave your suggestions below! :icflove:

Nobody gets easy access straight into the playing XI.. 

He needs to be part of the squads first and will get his break when someone gets injured or some dead rubbers and slowly find the spot in the side..

he might initially just be a back up player in the squad and not get a game in a tour.

Someone will lose form, Dhawan is unlikely to playing 4 more years until the next WC.. all that opens up opportunities for Gill...

This thread makes me feel as if ours is a world champion team. Last I checked, we choked in the last 2 semifinals and were only saved blushed by a non-batsman Jadeja. We are a pathetic team who field outr strongest players even when the opposition rests their main players. We will pad our stats against useless bowlers and showcase as if it's an achievement.

Gill can come and replace even the so called great who goes missing at the first sight of pressure. Except Rohit, he can replace practically any batsman in this line up. But unfortunately he will be made to debut only when his hair greys and he is no more a good batsmen. Rat will make sure there is no competition to him as long as he is the captain. Gill should probably look to migrate to UK for more chances.

2 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

Gill can come and replace even the so called great who goes missing at the first sight of pressure.

Gill couldn't handle the pressure of his ODI debut in New Zealand. You expect him to handle the pressure of World Cup final already?

Gill may well be a big player in the future, but cool down on the over hyping. He's a top order batsman and our top 3 score mountains of runs. He can't replace any of them right now. We need middle order batsmen.

On 9/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Gill couldn't handle the pressure of his ODI debut in New Zealand. You expect him to handle the pressure of World Cup final already?

Gill may well be a big player in the future, but cool down on the over hyping. He's a top order batsman and our top 3 score mountains of runs. He can't replace any of them right now. We need middle order batsmen.

And hence he should be given more chances...

On 9/5/2019 at 4:17 AM, SecondSlip said:

Everyone wants Gill in the ODI side including myself, but how are we actually supposed to get him in!? In my view, as much as I want Shubman in the team, I think it will be tough because of our combination. Let’s have a look: 

- Rohit & Dhawan are our first choice openers with Rahul & Agarwal chosen as back up. Prithvi Shaw will most likely come into the scheme of things as well in the near future. So no room for Gill here at the moment. 

- Kohli is our captain and he will play majority of games unless he decides to rest. Even if Gill plays at #3, it will only be for a very short while until Kohli returns. A special player like Gill needs to be a permanent member of this team. So this option is also ruled out. 

- In recent times, it looks like Iyer and Pandey will fight it out for the #4 spot in the side. Since Iyer has done a good job in WI, he deserves a very long run at #4 without any interruptions. The team management might also use KL Rahul at #4 in the future if Iyer doesn’t work out. Besides, I don’t think the management views Gill as a #4 going forward from what I noticed! Also, Rayudu just recently came back from retirement and we all know how much Captain Kohli loves his “experienced” players :laugh: 

- At #5, we will play our wicketkeeper. Rishabh Pant should get a very long run at this position to cement it as his own. The selectors should include Ishan Kishan as his back up. He deserves it. 

- We will need a batsman at #6 who can bowl a bit of part time stuff to share the work load with Pandya and to fill in if any of the main bowlers are having a bad day. I want Kedar Jadhav kicked out of the team like everyone on this website but the only reason why he’s still there is because he can bowl and nobody else can. This is the reality and we need to live it. Unfortunately Gill doesn’t bowl, so he’s not even in the picture for this! 

- Our #7 will always be an allrounder. Whether it is Hardik Pandya or Ravindra Jadeja remains to be seen at the toss of each ODI match. 

So as we have noticed, it’s very hard to fit Gill in the current ODI side. Almost all the spots are taken and there are lots of competition as well. But, if you were part of the team management, how would you fit Gill in the team and which position would you play him at? 

Leave your suggestions below! :icflove:

That's why long term vision is required . Have a vision what should be your team for Next WC and who are the best bets ? 

Selectors job is to make a judgement as to who are potentially best picks for no.4   based on their game both vs Pace and

Spin and who has  more ceiling for improvement.    They should not think Ok, we have not given many chances to Pandey ,

now lets give him chances . 

Would not be wrong if most here think  Gill is better fit at # 4 than Pandey. 

Hence your top 2 picks for #4, should be Gill & Iyer and not Pandey & Iyer. 

You need to bring him into team 15 first without delay. 

->  Openers are 34 now.   What is the point in playing both of them in every match . What is that something new one

need to find out about them  ? Only one of them should be selected in a series. Rahul needs a big break .

Should go back to Domestic .

No harm in giving few outings at opener slot .  Could be very good investment for WC 23 if both Dhawan /Rohit regress

by that time . In fact  he opens  for Ind A .

-> Kohli should skip a few series or  rest after a series win - > play Gill in his place . 

->  If its a 5 match series , Play iyer for 3 matches , Play Gill for rest. 

If you follow this , you would have given a decent 8-12  matches in the next  6-7 months. 

That  would also show if any weakness which he needs to work on , rather than giving him chance after 1.5 years and then

finding these things  out.

BTW if he plays exceptionally better than Iyer , he will make no.4 his own over time.

I have no doubt in my mind , he would be best bet at # 4 above Iyer or Pandey  once he gets a decent continuous 

exposure 

For me No.# 4

1) should have a good defense & Technique , so that he stays and consistent and does not throw away his wicket .

This is far more important  for  India as 5 to 7 -all will be dashers  . 

2) should rotate strike well and good runner .

3) Should be better player of Pace .

4) Should be good vs spin.

5) Need not be power hitter but should be able to change gears .

Looks a better player of pace and short stuff than Iyer , Pandey. Better technique  and less riskier player than them.          

Edited by prudent_kreeda
56 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

That's why long term vision is required . Have a vision what should be your team for Next WC and who are the best bets ? 

Selectors job is to make a judgement as to who are potentially best picks for no.4   based on their game both vs Pace and Spin and who has  more ceiling for improvement.    

They should not think Ok, we have not given many chances to Pandey , now lets give him chances . 

Would not be wrong if most here think  Gill is better fit at # 4 than Pandey. 

Great post !    Especially the part in bold  .... and the part underlined is gold  !

The underlined part is happening all the time under the current group of selectors. With players like Pandey, Shardul etc.

When a player is in the senior team setup for a long time but is still not a part of the playing 11 or even the squad, it usually means that he is not Team India material. So, move on.

The " Queue System " , whereby a new player gets his chance only after the players who were near team selection from an earlier date are preferred for selection,  has been the biggest bane in recent time.

Just pick the best squad as of today for God's sake !  Forget about the queue.

Edited by express bowling
2 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

For me No.# 4

1) should have a good defense & Technique , so that he stays and consistent and does not throw away his wicket .

This is far more important  for  India as 5 to 7 -all will be dashers  . 

2) should rotate strike well and good runner .

3) Should be better player of Pace .

4) Should be good vs spin.

5) Need not be power hitter but should be able to change gears .

Looks a better player of pace and short stuff than Iyer , Pandey. Better technique  and less riskier player than them.          

For me no.4 shud have the ability to take team to a winning total from 10/2 ......

I wanna look at player with ability or atleast game like yuvi, abdv, pietersen, lara, inzy , tendulkar ......someone who has that extra gear then kohli . If not such ability i dont mind someone who can play run a ball and then can manage to take his s/r up in last 10-20 balls 

16 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

For me no.4 shud have the ability to take team to a winning total from 10/2 ......

I wanna look at player with ability or atleast game like yuvi, abdv, pietersen, lara, inzy , tendulkar ......someone who has that extra gear then kohli . If not such ability i dont mind someone who can play run a ball and then can manage to take his s/r up in last 10-20 balls 

Well ...   Very Very Lofty  standards . 5  of them were once in a generation talents in all forms of the game while another was so in shorter format. 

If we had such a world beating talent , he would be the permanent member of India team along with RAT irrespective of age, experience .

We have to make peace with lesser level  who are available now in India for #4.