Do Bangladesh Deserve To Be In Test Cricket?

G_B_

Lets just say that ICC (led by India) made the wrong choice in backing BD over Kenya. both these sides were at the same level back in the late 90s.

Supposedly the fact that BD defeated Pakistan in the 1999 WC was used as justification. But that match has since been under heavy suspicion of match fixing by Pakistan.

Feel sad for sides like Zimbabwe and Kenya. Were not backed when they should have been.

As for Afghanistan provided they can keep their internal politics in check they have the talent to make a stable test side.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

There has to be two tier system in test match Cricket. 

Tier 1 - India, Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand , Pakistan

Tier 2 - West Indies, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Ireland, Sri Lanka. 

Give test status to Scotland and put them in tier 2. Promotion, relegation system every year. 

Sl beat aus 3-0 ?, wi beat eng 2-0 ? Right its difficult to make two tiers when so few are playing.

41 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Sl beat aus 3-0 ?, wi beat eng 2-0 ? Right its difficult to make two tiers when so few are playing.

That was way back in 2016 when they had Herath. Last year England swept them at home. And yes, Wi beat England (anyways it was 2-1 not 2-0) but I reckon that England's not really the team you beat and gloat about now in test cricket. 

There is a significant gap between the top 6 and the bottom 6 teams in the test rankings. 

3 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Drawn series vs Eng and Aus at home, vs SL away from home, series win vs WI at home. They have massively improved as a Test side in the last 3-4 years.

This performance vs Afghan is a slip up. Looks like rain will come to their rescue.

But surely they need to have some minimum standards.

Losing to a war torn country at home when they are taking baby steps in test cricket is as low as it gets.

That too its not a minor loss. 224 runs is a thrashing.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

I like it but tier system will not work, what happens if Australia or England are in two different tiers.What happens to Ashes then.

What happens to the El classico if Real Madrid and Barcelona are in different tiers of the Spanish league ? 

2 minutes ago, Norman said:

What happens to the El classico if Real Madrid and Barcelona are in different tiers of the Spanish league ? 

I don't know, I don't follow club football.You cannot have tier system and if Australia or England fall to Tier II and still play Ashes.

Edited by putrevus
8 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't know, I don't follow club football.You cannot have tier system and if Australia or England fall to Tier II and still play Ashes.

What I meant was there is an almost zero chance of any of Australia or England to get relegated into the second tier. They are better test teams than Pak,  Nz and SAF and would beat them more often than not and would stay in the 1st tier. 

5 hours ago, Norman said:

That was way back in 2016 when they had Herath. Last year England swept them at home. And yes, Wi beat England (anyways it was 2-1 not 2-0) but I reckon that England's not really the team you beat and gloat about now in test cricket. 

There is a significant gap between the top 6 and the bottom 6 teams in the test rankings. 

if England is not team to beat and gloat then they are also in Tier 2 ? If India is only good at home they are also is tier 2 ? if pak has lost their skill may be they are tier 2 as well..Aus is not same without the cheats they are surely tier 2..wait i know, lets call all test nations Tier 2 problem solved.

5 hours ago, Norman said:

wasn't that last cycle ? Aus v SL