Prithvi Raj featuring akshay Kumar in title role

vayuu1

20 minutes ago, Texy said:

I know nothing of this ...so was he or was not brave & valiant....I guess we have contradicting sources....some say he was inept, some say he was legendary..

He was brave and stupid. This is because the summer before first battle of Tarain, Ghori captured Bhatinda from the Chauhans. He then proceeded to lose the first battle and retreated to Bhatinda, where he stayed for a year before launching his crushing victory at the second battle of Tarain. What do you call a king , who lets his defeated enemy continue occupying a strategic fort of his, which the enemy had conquered before, giving him a decisive information advantage ?? A dumba$$. Prhtiviraj was a brave idiot. 

Edited by Muloghonto

Going off on a slight tangent here.  

It is interesting, even amusing, to observe how we perceive royalty.  Growing up in a Tamizh family, I took pride in Raja Raja Chozhan's military conquests.  He ruled S. India, parts of N. India, Sri Lanka and extended his kingdom into parts of SE Asia with his incredible military conquests!  Awesome!  Glorious king, he spoke the same language as me, so glory be to him.  But the Muhammads and other Islamic royals who did pretty much the same thing were complete villains in my mind - they looked nothing like me, spoke a foreign language, prayed to a different deity and defeated "my" noble kings by deceit and cruel conquest - woe be upon them!

Today, I realize that - for the most part - these "rulers" were Class I a-holes regardless of where they were born.  They were of course intelligent, shrewd,, confident and brave, but also vain, narcissistic and callous enough to put the lives of 10s of 1000s of men in jeopardy so they could wallow in glory.  I have complete disdain for all royalty - past and present.  They were and are just exploiters.  I'd rather glorify scientists, engineers, farmers and architects who actually did something for the welfare of themselves *and* others.  

Fire away.

Edited by ExtremeBrainfade

Another trashy Masala coming up with ridiculous song/dances depicting a historical figure! :facepalm:

Seriously, I would watch up to a 3 hr long Mahabharata motion picture if it was done in a tasteful way minus meaningless song/dances and melodramatic overacting directed in the mold of a serious art film as I feel Mahabharata is the best epic to portray society in pre-Islamic Vedic period in ancient India. 

1 hour ago, WC2011INDIA said:

52 year old playing 26 year old...de-aging vfx to the rescue? Atleast I hope so...

That sounds about right, after all Aamir Khan was 44 years old playing an 18 year old university student in 3 Idiots.

44 - 18 = 26

52 - 26 = 26

It just shows that Bollywood has had no superstars in the last 15 years to overtake or join the 90s ones in terms of fame. Apart from maybe Hrithik Roshan. Hollywood isn't much better in this regard either.

Edited by Ranvir

6 hours ago, Ranvir said:

That sounds about right, after all Aamir Khan was 44 years old playing an 18 year old university student in 3 Idiots.

44 - 18 = 26

52 - 26 = 26

It just shows that Bollywood has had no superstars in the last 15 years to overtake or join the 90s ones in terms of fame. Apart from maybe Hrithik Roshan. Hollywood isn't much better in this regard either.

But hollywood is using De-aging technology to portray younger self of actors.

Will bollywood do it?

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Dude he was an idiot for not following up on first battle of Tarain. That fact is inescapable. Kin worship won’t change the hard truth.

In a way you are right yes but I would rather you use a different word. 

Anyway yes Prithviraj had many flaws. He should have crushed Shahabuddin Ghori in the first battle itself rather he dithered which cost an invaluable amount of time which allowed Ghori to escape with his retinue even though he was grievously injured by a spear thrown by Govind Rai Chauhan(or that's what Minhaj Siraj says). 

The siege was extremely embarrassing yeah. Turks despite being numerically smaller managed to hold on to the fort for 13 fookin months! 

It's a sad commentary on the poor military organization and the defective war strategy of the Rajputs that they took so long to get back their own fort from the hands of the Turks who had conquered it from the former in a single sweep a short while ago. 

On 9/9/2019 at 11:03 PM, Texy said:

I know nothing of this ...so was he or was not brave & valiant....I guess we have contradicting sources....some say he was inept, some say he was legendary..

He was a valiant general without a doubt as most Rajputs have been. 

But completely clueless when it came to adapting newer war strategies and reorganizing his military tactics to tackle an enemy that fought with completely different styles than those that were vogue in the subcontinent at that time . 

Rajputs those days displayed amazing feats of bravery and sacrifice, but their war tactics and strategy were appalling to say the least. Kept repeating mistakes again and again, of course no fukc up remotely near the scale of Panipat 1761 but cumulative blunders meant they could never justify their courage and numerical superiority on the results column. 

Edited by Gollum