Where did Abul Qadir rank amongst great spinners and cricketers of all time?

Where did Abul Qadir rank amongst great spinners of all time?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Where did Abul Qadir rank amongst great spinners of all time?

• Best ever
    • 2nd best ever
    • 3rd best ever
    • 4th best ever
    • 5th best ever
    • 6th best ever
    • In the top 10

Tragically 2 days ago the Pakistani wizard Abdul Qadir left for his heavenly abode.In this piece I wish to pay this giant a tribute.

Abdul Qadir was a genius who in terms of artistry and natural ability even surpassed Shane Warne.It was harder for Viv Richards or his equals to negotiate or read Qadir than even Warne or Murlitharan.His googly was the equivalent of what Wasim Akram's reverse swing was .mesmerizing the best of batsmen.Former Englsih umpire chose Qadir over even Shane Warne in his all-time xi.Christopher Martin Jenkins ranked Qadir in 88th place in his 100 greatest cricketers of all time.In terms of raw ability I only rate the Indian leg-spinner Subash Gupte ahead.

Qadir was one of the architects of Pakistan emerging as the joint unofficial world champions in West Indies.Wrong umpiring decisions denying Qadir crucial wickets robbed Pakistan of the unofficial world title in 1988.He also was the main architect in Pakistan winning its 1st test at Lords,winning their 1st series in England and sharing a rubber for the 1st time against the mighty West Indies.Arguably in certain condition she was even more lethal than the great Imran Khan like in the 19876 series v West Indies or at Lords in 1982 and at the Oval in 1987.With Wasim and Imran he comprised arguably the best bowling attack of all time giving it the perfect blend or variation.It is difficult to find adjectives to describe Qadir' s impact out their in the middle,which was similar to a magician performing tricks .Qadir defined the role of the leg-spinner or the art of leg-spin bowling as few ever did in the history of the game taking it's artistry to regions of divinty.His 30 scalps in a single series versus England at home in 1987 are a record for a Pakistani bowler in a 3 test series.We must also never forget his match-winning spell of 5 wickets against Sril Lanka  which snatched a win for  Pakistan from the jaws of defeat in the 1983 Prudential world cup.Qadir literally performed a houdini act that day to ressurect Pakistan from the grave.My best memories of him are tearing through the flesh of West Indies batting in 1986 in the 1st test and completely bewildering batsmen like a magician putting spectators in a trance at Lords in 1982 and Oval in 1987.

I place Abdul Qadir only behind Imran Khan ,Wasim Akram , Javed Miandad ,Younis Khan and Hanif Mohammad amongst Pakistani cricketers .Ofcourse very close with Mushtaq Muhammad ,Inzamam Ul Haq and and Zaheer Abbas.Qadir won more matches for Pakistan than Zaheer Abas or Mushtaq Muhammad and took Pakistan to the top spot in test rankings unlike Inzamam.In my book will win a place amongst the 100 bets cricketers of all time in about 70th place.

Amongst great spinners I rank only Shane Warne ,Bil O'Reilly ,Murlitharan ,Subash Gupte and Jim Laker ahead and it is a very tight call between Bishen Bedi.True statistically he is greatly overshadowed but remember the field hardly gave Qadir the support the likes of Warne or Murli got.On home turf in Pakistan,he was arguably more unplayable than nay spinner ever.

Sadly he never performed outstandingly in Australia,which is strange.

Edited by Harsh Thakor
2 hours ago, Aiden said:

If not for Qadir leg spin would have died in 80s. You never know Warne,Kumble and all great leg spinners in last 3 decades would have never played.

Nonsense really. The 80s generation and before were inspired by their local conditions by an overwhelming margin, because of lack of television. By the time Qadir had bagged 100 wickets- by any margin that’s what it takes any ‘live conditions bowler to even begin noticed’ -  Kumble was 15, Warney was 16 etc. Qadir was instrumental for Pakistani spin- his help to a limited but cunning bowler with a few deadly weapons (Mushie) was decisive as was the progression from him to Kaneria 

Qadir was a decent bowler: on pitches that helped him he was deadly. Mostly with a lot of umpiring help. Guy averages 47 with the ball overseas and was a bit of a nothing bowler outside home