Will consider Rohit Sharma as Test opener: MSK Prasad

tweaker

The problem with choosing Rohit as an opener in tests is that he may do well in India and totally let us down when we go abroad ( as he can't play the moving ball at all )

It would be similar to what happened when Dhawan was tried in tests.

People with vision will choose an opener who can tackle both the moving ball and the short ball.

55 minutes ago, express bowling said:

The problem with choosing Rohit as an opener in tests is that he may do well in India and totally let us down when we go abroad ( as he can't play the moving ball at all )

It would be similar to what happened when Dhawan was tried in tests.

People with vision will choose an opener who can tackle both the moving ball and the short ball.

and if he does well in India when he goes n fails overseas they wont be able to drop him in 1-2 games ......they ll need to give him 4-5 test which can cost a series or two

There is a lot negativity with regards to Rohit Sharma opening in Test Cricket.

He might be successful opening in Test Cricket.

The next overseas tour is New Zealand where he averaged over 40 which is respectable in the 2 test matches he had played.

Tour after that is Australia which will suit his back foot game.

In addition, R Sharma had issues with the left armers previously but has made adjustments and was much improved in World Cup. 

Similarly, I am sure he will make adjustments batting overseas.

The most difficult places to bat overseas for Indian batsmen is South Africa and England. 

16 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

There is a lot negativity with regards to Rohit Sharma opening in Test Cricket.

He might be successful opening in Test Cricket.

When he wasnt successful in MO why wud he be successful when ball is new n jaggs around. Look at jason roy 

HE finds it tough when ball moves around in ODI 

The next overseas tour is New Zealand where he averaged over 40 which is respectable in the 2 test matches he had played.

Where also when he got set he threw he had a lapse in concentration 

Tour after that is Australia which will suit his back foot game.

Where he is still to make a 100 in test 

The most difficult places to bat overseas for Indian batsmen is South Africa and England. 

SA a place where he has had 2 tours n i think he is yet to cross 100 in total 

Rohit Sharma has better First Class pedigree compared to Jason Roy. I would say Rohit Sharma has more ability. Playing both spin and pace.

Averaging over 40 in first New Zealand tour not a terrible performance.

He has played 5 tests in Aus, averaging 30, not the best but not the worst. Would have scored a hundred in Melbourne but Team declared on 63*. I agree that it is about winning so declartion is more important, however time was availible for him to get 100. Compare this to the treatment Vihari got in 1st test Vs WI, they delayed declartion so that Vihari can get 100, got out on 93.

In his last inning in South Africa he made 47, as stated before South Africa and England are tough places to bat. In England he has only played 1 test. He was getting better than they dropped him for 3rd test and subsequent England tour. Nobody did anything there apart from Virat Kohli, and to an extent C Pujara.

There is definitely raw material to work with. He is more experienced now and is more likely to capitalise on the good starts.

If it does not work, no problem there are so many batsmen waiting in the wings. It is better for S Gill to play another season of Ranji so that he can become more profecient at playing spin like H Vihari.

1 hour ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Rohit Sharma has better First Class pedigree compared to Jason Roy. I would say Rohit Sharma has more ability. Playing both spin and pace.

FC is played in India with SG ball

Overseas its kookabura n duke n pitches a lot more

Averaging over 40 in first New Zealand tour not a terrible performance.

One place where did well was also avg thats the problem

He has played 5 tests in Aus, averaging 30, not the best but not the worst. Would have scored a hundred in Melbourne but Team declared on 63*. I agree that it is about winning so declartion is more important, however time was availible for him to get 100. Compare this to the treatment Vihari got in 1st test Vs WI, they delayed declartion so that Vihari can get 100, got out on 93.

If avg of 30 n 63 runs is his defence well thats a very weak one

It also shud be noticed he made 50s in SL , AUS, NZ yet never converted them coz of concentration lapse another issue 

In his last inning in South Africa he made 47, as stated before South Africa and England are tough places to bat. In England he has only played 1 test. He was getting better than they dropped him for 3rd test and subsequent England tour. Nobody did anything there apart from Virat Kohli, and to an extent C Pujara.

47 is a poor defense....what about pandya who scored 90+ doesnt he deserve a place before him then 

Pujara has had one good tour of SA 

Rahane both tours have been good

Rohot fail on both SA tour

There is definitely raw material to work with. He is more experienced now and is more likely to capitalise on the good starts.

That argument shud be used for players like shaw n gill not a veteran like rohit 

If it does not work, no problem there are so many batsmen waiting in the wings. It is better for S Gill to play another season of Ranji so that he can become more profecient at playing spin like H Vihari.

The problem is if it fails .....a youngster will debut overseas in opening the toughest place

If he wants to open go back to ranji 

I don't know why scoring runs in India is downplayed. Scoring runs in India is not easy. 

You are actually demeaning the achievements of your own countrymen.

There are some players in the world from other countries who cannot even score in their home conditions.

Also SG does way more than kookaburra. SG is more similar to Duke.

Surely if your ambition is to be great it should not matter if you debut home or overseas. Competition is India is vast so any opportunity given should be grabbed with both hands.

Anyway with regards R Sharma lets wait and watch what transpires in the coming six months, he may not even get picked for SA series.

3 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

I don't know why scoring runs in India is downplayed. Scoring runs in India is not easy. 

Its not downplayed but that cant be the only criteria of defence when overseas perfomances have been so weak. We criticise rahane for not performing at home....

We need cricketer who perform in every condition 

Also SG does way more than kookaburra. SG is more similar to Duke.

SG spin more then any ball and reverse also

Concential swing happens more with kookabura N Duke 

SG n Duke might be similar in stiching but thats it ....both behave diff as eng pitches n weather is diff 

Surely if your ambition is to be great it should not matter if you debut home or overseas. Competition is India is vast so any opportunity given should be grabbed with both hands.

Anyway with regards R Sharma lets wait and watch what transpires in the coming six months, he may not even get picked for SA series.

rightly so ....done nothing to earn that spot was lucky to got selected in Aus

2 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

it is not MSK  who needs to be blamed, but the former players who can make a difference. MSK is a dumb ass of the highest order. To not utter a word against the moronic decisions of this  dumb ass of the highest order is  actually the blame of these former players.

Yup its these former player who are making these statement n creating pressure on him who wud feel it due to their stature against him

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

If he wants to open go back to ranji 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Its not downplayed but that cant be the only criteria of defence when overseas perfomances have been so weak. We criticise rahane for not performing at home....

I am just looking at couple of your quotes. On the one hand your saying if he wants to open go back to Ranji on the other hand your saying even if he scores in Ranji it does not mean much as his overseas performances have been weak. 

2 quotes seem slight contradictory unless I misunderstood your quotes.

My reading from this is that even if scores in Ranji while opening he should not be picked as he has been poor overseas previously.

26 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

I am just looking at couple of your quotes. On the one hand your saying if he wants to open go back to Ranji on the other hand your saying even if he scores in Ranji it does not mean much as his overseas performances have been weak. 

Ranji to open the innings......atleast show wiilingness n perfomance their 1st rather giving him opening slot in international cricket

No its diff....as m saying go n atleast open there .....nyways he doesnt deserve a spot on main squad so if u wanna open in internatioanl test cricket atleast do that in domestic to put his case forward. As of now his case is just they wanna fit him somewhere coz he has done much in other places

26 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

2 quotes seem slight contradictory unless I misunderstood your quotes.

My reading from this is that even if scores in Ranji while opening he should not be picked as he has been poor overseas previously.

Yup ranji wont guarntee but atleast show willingness by doing their ......it doesnt stop a player to put his case forward