Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tweaker

Will consider Rohit Sharma as Test opener: MSK Prasad

Recommended Posts

The problem with choosing Rohit as an opener in tests is that he may do well in India and totally let us down when we go abroad ( as he can't play the moving ball at all )

 

It would be similar to what happened when Dhawan was tried in tests.

 

People with vision will choose an opener who can tackle both the moving ball and the short ball.

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, express bowling said:

The problem with choosing Rohit as an opener in tests is that he may do well in India and totally let us down when we go abroad ( as he can't play the moving ball at all )

 

It would be similar to what happened when Dhawan was tried in tests.

 

People with vision will choose an opener who can tackle both the moving ball and the short ball.

and if he does well in India when he goes n fails overseas they wont be able to drop him in 1-2 games ......they ll need to give him 4-5 test which can cost a series or two

Share this post


Link to post

This guy is the worst selector I have seen in my lifetime.This guy has set Indian cricket a decade back with his nonsensical selections.He has no vision nor he has any idea on how to build a team.Useless fellow.

Share this post


Link to post

There is a lot negativity with regards to Rohit Sharma opening in Test Cricket.

 

He might be successful opening in Test Cricket.

 

The next overseas tour is New Zealand where he averaged over 40 which is respectable in the 2 test matches he had played.

 

Tour after that is Australia which will suit his back foot game.

 

In addition, R Sharma had issues with the left armers previously but has made adjustments and was much improved in World Cup. 

 

Similarly, I am sure he will make adjustments batting overseas.

 

The most difficult places to bat overseas for Indian batsmen is South Africa and England. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

There is a lot negativity with regards to Rohit Sharma opening in Test Cricket.

 

He might be successful opening in Test Cricket.

When he wasnt successful in MO why wud he be successful when ball is new n jaggs around. Look at jason roy 

HE finds it tough when ball moves around in ODI 

16 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

The next overseas tour is New Zealand where he averaged over 40 which is respectable in the 2 test matches he had played.

Where also when he got set he threw he had a lapse in concentration 

16 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Tour after that is Australia which will suit his back foot game.

Where he is still to make a 100 in test 

16 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

 

The most difficult places to bat overseas for Indian batsmen is South Africa and England. 

 

 

SA a place where he has had 2 tours n i think he is yet to cross 100 in total 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, putrevus said:

This guy is the worst selector I have seen in my lifetime.This guy has set Indian cricket a decade back with his nonsensical selections.He has no vision nor he has any idea on how to build a team.Useless fellow.

The man more that makes up for it with his charisma , look at him..

 

msk-prasad_806x605_51513864185.jpg?outpu

 

Share this post


Link to post

Rohit Sharma has better First Class pedigree compared to Jason Roy. I would say Rohit Sharma has more ability. Playing both spin and pace.

 

Averaging over 40 in first New Zealand tour not a terrible performance.

 

He has played 5 tests in Aus, averaging 30, not the best but not the worst. Would have scored a hundred in Melbourne but Team declared on 63*. I agree that it is about winning so declartion is more important, however time was availible for him to get 100. Compare this to the treatment Vihari got in 1st test Vs WI, they delayed declartion so that Vihari can get 100, got out on 93.

 

In his last inning in South Africa he made 47, as stated before South Africa and England are tough places to bat. In England he has only played 1 test. He was getting better than they dropped him for 3rd test and subsequent England tour. Nobody did anything there apart from Virat Kohli, and to an extent C Pujara.

 

There is definitely raw material to work with. He is more experienced now and is more likely to capitalise on the good starts.

 

If it does not work, no problem there are so many batsmen waiting in the wings. It is better for S Gill to play another season of Ranji so that he can become more profecient at playing spin like H Vihari.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Rohit Sharma has better First Class pedigree compared to Jason Roy. I would say Rohit Sharma has more ability. Playing both spin and pace.

FC is played in India with SG ball

Overseas its kookabura n duke n pitches a lot more

1 hour ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

 

Averaging over 40 in first New Zealand tour not a terrible performance.

One place where did well was also avg thats the problem

1 hour ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

 

He has played 5 tests in Aus, averaging 30, not the best but not the worst. Would have scored a hundred in Melbourne but Team declared on 63*. I agree that it is about winning so declartion is more important, however time was availible for him to get 100. Compare this to the treatment Vihari got in 1st test Vs WI, they delayed declartion so that Vihari can get 100, got out on 93.

If avg of 30 n 63 runs is his defence well thats a very weak one

It also shud be noticed he made 50s in SL , AUS, NZ yet never converted them coz of concentration lapse another issue 

1 hour ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

In his last inning in South Africa he made 47, as stated before South Africa and England are tough places to bat. In England he has only played 1 test. He was getting better than they dropped him for 3rd test and subsequent England tour. Nobody did anything there apart from Virat Kohli, and to an extent C Pujara.

47 is a poor defense....what about pandya who scored 90+ doesnt he deserve a place before him then 

Pujara has had one good tour of SA 

Rahane both tours have been good

Rohot fail on both SA tour

1 hour ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

There is definitely raw material to work with. He is more experienced now and is more likely to capitalise on the good starts.

That argument shud be used for players like shaw n gill not a veteran like rohit 

1 hour ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

 

If it does not work, no problem there are so many batsmen waiting in the wings. It is better for S Gill to play another season of Ranji so that he can become more profecient at playing spin like H Vihari.

 

The problem is if it fails .....a youngster will debut overseas in opening the toughest place

If he wants to open go back to ranji 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know why scoring runs in India is downplayed. Scoring runs in India is not easy. 

 

You are actually demeaning the achievements of your own countrymen.

 

There are some players in the world from other countries who cannot even score in their home conditions.

 

Also SG does way more than kookaburra. SG is more similar to Duke.

 

Surely if your ambition is to be great it should not matter if you debut home or overseas. Competition is India is vast so any opportunity given should be grabbed with both hands.

 

Anyway with regards R Sharma lets wait and watch what transpires in the coming six months, he may not even get picked for SA series.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

I don't know why scoring runs in India is downplayed. Scoring runs in India is not easy. 

Its not downplayed but that cant be the only criteria of defence when overseas perfomances have been so weak. We criticise rahane for not performing at home....

We need cricketer who perform in every condition 

3 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

 

Also SG does way more than kookaburra. SG is more similar to Duke.

SG spin more then any ball and reverse also

Concential swing happens more with kookabura N Duke 

 

SG n Duke might be similar in stiching but thats it ....both behave diff as eng pitches n weather is diff 

3 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

 

Surely if your ambition is to be great it should not matter if you debut home or overseas. Competition is India is vast so any opportunity given should be grabbed with both hands.

 

Anyway with regards R Sharma lets wait and watch what transpires in the coming six months, he may not even get picked for SA series.

rightly so ....done nothing to earn that spot was lucky to got selected in Aus

Share this post


Link to post

it is not MSK  who needs to be blamed, but the former players who can make a difference. MSK is a dumb ass of the highest order. To not utter a word against the moronic decisions of this  dumb ass of the highest order is  actually the blame of these former players.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

it is not MSK  who needs to be blamed, but the former players who can make a difference. MSK is a dumb ass of the highest order. To not utter a word against the moronic decisions of this  dumb ass of the highest order is  actually the blame of these former players.

Yup its these former player who are making these statement n creating pressure on him who wud feel it due to their stature against him

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

 

If he wants to open go back to ranji 

 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Its not downplayed but that cant be the only criteria of defence when overseas perfomances have been so weak. We criticise rahane for not performing at home....

 

I am just looking at couple of your quotes. On the one hand your saying if he wants to open go back to Ranji on the other hand your saying even if he scores in Ranji it does not mean much as his overseas performances have been weak. 

 

2 quotes seem slight contradictory unless I misunderstood your quotes.

 

My reading from this is that even if scores in Ranji while opening he should not be picked as he has been poor overseas previously.

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

 

I am just looking at couple of your quotes. On the one hand your saying if he wants to open go back to Ranji on the other hand your saying even if he scores in Ranji it does not mean much as his overseas performances have been weak. 

Ranji to open the innings......atleast show wiilingness n perfomance their 1st rather giving him opening slot in international cricket

No its diff....as m saying go n atleast open there .....nyways he doesnt deserve a spot on main squad so if u wanna open in internatioanl test cricket atleast do that in domestic to put his case forward. As of now his case is just they wanna fit him somewhere coz he has done much in other places

26 minutes ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

 

2 quotes seem slight contradictory unless I misunderstood your quotes.

 

My reading from this is that even if scores in Ranji while opening he should not be picked as he has been poor overseas previously.

Yup ranji wont guarntee but atleast show willingness by doing their ......it doesnt stop a player to put his case forward 

Share this post


Link to post

Bad idea, if one wants to give Rohit another chance, give it to him where he plays in Ranji: the middle order. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that we insert players(especially new players) into random positions in the batting lineup. 

 

The opener slot is the most specialized batting slot in cricket. Pick players for that spot who have loads of Ranji runs there and don't try to convert middle/lower order batsmen into openers. 

Share this post


Link to post

This is why I wanted Rohit to open in tests in the WI, replacing Rahul (  knowing that Dukes ball will be used. )

 

My reasons .... 

 

1.  Project Rohit is going on ... big names are calling for his inclusion ... will come in eventually ... it is better that he replaced an out of sync Rahul ( as Rohit was already in the squad )  than block budding talents like Gill, Vihari or Easwaran.

 

2.  He would have been tested against the moving Dukes ball in the WI. Would have been found out ( most likely )  or would have passed  the test ( in which case it is ok if he plays )

 

3.  Would not have had the chance to score runs playing the SG ball in India ( when there is not much movement ) before being tested against the moving ball. 

 

4.  Would not have been much worse than Rahul, the test batsman of 2018 and 2019.

 

5. The WI team is weak and we would have won despite playing a potential weak link like Rohit.

 

 

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

This is why I wanted Rohit to open in tests in the WI, replacing Rahul (  knowing that Dukes ball will be used. )

 

My reasons .... 

 

1.  Project Rohit is going on ... big names are calling for his inclusion ... will come in eventually ... it is better that he replaces an out of sync Rahul than block budding talents like Gill, Vihari or Easwaran.

 

2.  He would have been tested against the moving Dukes ball in the WI. Would have been found out ( most likely )  or would have passed  the test ( in which case it is ok if he plays )

 

3.  Would not have had the chance to score runs playing the SG ball in India ( when there is not much movement ) before being tested against the moving ball. 

 

4.  Would not have been much worse than Rahul, the test batsman of 2018 and 2019.

 

5. The WI team is weak and we would have won despite playing a potential weak link like Rohit.

 

 

If Project Rohit was going on, Rohit and not Vihari would have played in the 2 WI tests. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

If Project Rohit was going on, Rohit and not Vihari would have played in the 2 WI tests. 

 

Vihari's ability to bowl a few overs and act as the 5th bowler, has helped his selection in tests from the time we have started playing 4 specialist bowlers only.

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, express bowling said:

 

Vihari's ability to bowl a few overs and act as the 5th bowler, has helped his selection in tests from the time we have started playing 4 specialist bowlers only.

Then how exactly is the Project Rohit going on if a youngster, not yet settled in the test team and who can bowl part time bowler, can pip him for a spot in the 11?

Share this post


Link to post

Selection team idiots doing the worst possible thing as always. Ideally Rohit should be gven the captaincy of both the limited overs formats and all the new kids should be given chances into the test teams.

 

It's time the management takes a long hard look at muti-format players and start reducing their numbers. Except for Bumrah, Kohli and to an extent Shami I ideally don't see a point where players play all three formats. This is a malady plaguing the team for a long time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, express bowling said:

This is why I wanted Rohit to open in tests in the WI, replacing Rahul (  knowing that Dukes ball will be used. )

 

My reasons .... 

 

1.  Project Rohit is going on ... big names are calling for his inclusion ... will come in eventually ... it is better that he replaced an out of sync Rahul ( as Rohit was already in the squad )  than block budding talents like Gill, Vihari or Easwaran.

 

2.  He would have been tested against the moving Dukes ball in the WI. Would have been found out ( most likely )  or would have passed  the test ( in which case it is ok if he plays )

 

3.  Would not have had the chance to score runs playing the SG ball in India ( when there is not much movement ) before being tested against the moving ball. 

 

4.  Would not have been much worse than Rahul, the test batsman of 2018 and 2019.

 

5. The WI team is weak and we would have won despite playing a potential weak link like Rohit.

 

 

Maybe that's why they didn't risk him as an opener in WI :dontknow:

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Then how exactly is the Project Rohit going on if a youngster, not yet settled in the test team and who can bowl part time bowler, can pip him for a spot in the 11?

 

Youngster with added utility that helps maintain balance of the team.

 

Project Rohit going on as Chief Selector has said that he is being considered as an opener in tests ( for the upcoming series ), despite him not being a test opener.  

 

Add to that multiple big names lending their support to Rohit too.  A lot of important people connected to the Indian Cricket Fraternity want him in the test team despite his unimpressive test record for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post

This is my analysis about Rohit Sharma in test cricket. 

 

For an opening batsmsn in test cricket, you must not be soft or lazy whereas Rohit Sharma's quality is his pure timing and that lazy sort of elegance which makes him loose as a test opener, moving red new bsll doesn't help at sll either. 

 

For #6 or #7 positions in test cricket, you need someone who can play around with the tail and play his shots from the word go (much like gilly) however Rohit generally takes time and doesn't seem like a player who can bat around with the tail in crunch situations. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't our resident geniuses here create thread on the rift between Kohli and Rohit based some useless twitter post by Rohit.Now saying Kohli is promoting his buddy in test team by having Project Rohit.

 

How can Kohli fight Rohit and also support him.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Autonomous said:

This is my analysis about Rohit Sharma in test cricket. 

 

For an opening batsmsn in test cricket, you must not be soft or lazy whereas Rohit Sharma's quality is his pure timing and that lazy sort of elegance which makes him loose as a test opener, moving red new bsll doesn't help at sll either. 

 

For #6 or #7 positions in test cricket, you need someone who can play around with the tail and play his shots from the word go (much like gilly) however Rohit generally takes time and doesn't seem like a player who can bat around with the tail in crunch situations. 

 

Adding to that Rohit Sharma's style is mostly starting out very slowly and once set he scores extremely fast. This style won't work in tests because the format forces you to play the ball to it's merit instead of whacking every ball. Viv could do it, but then there is only one Viv Richards.

Edited by MechEng

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, MechEng said:

Adding to that Rohit Sharma's style is mostly starting out very slowly and once set he scores extremely fast. This style won't work in tests because the format forces you to play the ball to it's merit instead of whacking every ball. Viv could do it, but then there is only one Viv Richards.

But then again, It is the same batch of qualities which make him highly successful limited overs opener while cause his downfall in the test match arena. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/10/2019 at 1:31 AM, express bowling said:

 

Youngster with added utility that helps maintain balance of the team.

 

Project Rohit going on as Chief Selector has said that he is being considered as an opener in tests ( for the upcoming series ), despite him not being a test opener.  

 

Add to that multiple big names lending their support to Rohit too.  A lot of important people connected to the Indian Cricket Fraternity want him in the test team despite his unimpressive test record for a long time.

A lot of fans want to see him play tests too. It will be unfortunate not to see him succeed in test cricket!

Share this post


Link to post

Can you imagine if he succeeds as opener.

 

The entertainment factor would be huge.

 

Indian batsmanship in Tests has not been pleasing on the eye for a long time. The playing of spin bowling has been lacking.

 

Having Rohit Sharma in Test Batting line up will be a welcome change.

 

The last great batting line up collectively in Tests was quite a while ago:

 

Gambhir, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Dhoni

Edited by Prabhdeep Singh

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Prabhdeep Singh said:

Can you imagine if he succeeds as opener.

 

The entertainment factor would be huge.

 

Indian batsmanship in Tests has not been pleasing on the eye for a long time. The playing of spin bowling has been lacking.

 

Having Rohit Sharma in Test Batting line up will be a welcome change.

 

The last great batting line up collectively in Tests was quite a while ago:

 

Gambhir, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Dhoni

Test is not ODIs. Anyone who failed in MO won't do well as opener in tests.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, someone said:

Cricket isnt that simple, and 1 +1= 2 isnt always the case. Sometimes it's just sheer luck and extra-confidence as opener, that may help Sharma.

 

When we had a weak technical yet superb opener like Sehwag, certainly Sharma deserves a chance....

And Sehwag overseas was a failure.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

And Sehwag overseas was a failure.

Which Cricket did you watch in the past?

 

V Sehwag innings overseas:

 

195 Melbourne

151 Adelaide

105 in SA on debut

106 in England

180 in West Indies

 

Absolutely hammered Pak and SL in their conditions, I have not highlighted as they are asian conditions.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Test is not ODIs. Anyone who failed in MO won't do well as opener in tests.

Few players who did well going from MO to opening in Tests.

 

T Dilshan

S Katich

S Jayasuriya

S Fleming

 

 

Edited by Prabhdeep Singh

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...