3 Football Rugby League Tennis
4 NRL Motor Sports Lawn Bowls
5 Golf Soccer (outdoor) Netball
6 Rugby Cricket (outdoor) Swimming
7 Soccer Rugby Union Cricket (outdoor)
8 Tennis Harness Racing Martial Arts
9 Basketball Tennis (indoor and outdoor) Basketball
10 Rugby League Dog racing Tenpin Bowling

We basically give anything a go here in Australia, but these are the most popular, cricket is only a summer sport here. Should put horse racing in there as well, Melbourne Cup, Derby Day, Cox Plate get attendance of close to 6 million combined.

Swimming has always been at the top of the list, we have world champions in swimming and we top the list at the Olympics Games, there are a lot of sports here, kids are given an opportunity to try everything before they settle on a sport they like.

So if I interpret your table correctly cricket is the 6th/7th popular sport downunder. Does not look promising for cricket. Interesting.

How about food? What do folks like? I am always fasinated by what people eat. 

Do you tolerate us browns folks or you just put up with us. A candid answer please.

10 minutes ago, Khota said:

So if I interpret your table correctly cricket is the 6th/7th popular sport downunder. Does not look promising for cricket. Interesting.

How about food? What do folks like? I am always fasinated by what people eat. 

Do you tolerate us browns folks or you just put up with us. A candid answer please.

Nothing wrong with people from different cultures, races, Australia has a strong multicultural identity, we have people from every nation on Earth that calls Australia home.

We have great food here, as we have people from every country on Earth living here, Greek, Italian, Lebanese, Asian etc you name it and we have it.

Yep cricket is only a summer sport as I said we have a choice of sports here, kids are given a lot of options to try everything, Australia is a outdoor country we love the outdoors, love having a barbie on the beach, we love going to road trips etc, helps when Australia alone is such a big country and has great roads and highways, freeways.

Track and field is also big here, the thing is that in Australia we believe in participating, so we give everything a go. I guess that's why we are a great sporting nation.

Edited by OzGirl

7 hours ago, OzGirl said:

No air pollution, or noise pollution, in Australia we respect our country and we love our country by trying to keep it clean. May not work 100% of the time but we do a good job. 

That's why we love the outdoors, we have parks and green spaces everywhere, our beaches are clean, our streets are clean.

Or maybe they are easier to maintain since you stole an entire continent worth of land from the natives, and are now gate-keeping others from entering it? 

Easy on the sanctimonous self-righteousness there.   Pollution becomes a problem everywhere on the planet where population density is high, and more so, if government revenues are low. 

7 hours ago, OzGirl said:

No air pollution, or noise pollution, in Australia we respect our country and we love our country by trying to keep it clean. May not work 100% of the time but we do a good job. 

That's why we love the outdoors, we have parks and green spaces everywhere, our beaches are clean, our streets are clean.

co2-emissions-per-capita.png

52 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

and just to put it in context new zealand another sparsely populated country in the same locale has a co2 per metric tonne rating of 7.6 which is more comparable to European countries.

Well to be fair, NZ's climate is more like Europe's - and you don't need to use AC as much.  Air conditioning is a major contributor to CO2 emissions and power consumption in general.  

As India prospers, there is a massive need for passive cooling technologies, and alternatives to conventional air conditioning.  The guy who comes up with a marketable solution is going to be a billionaire.   

This Convict-kudi would be safer in India than that floating jail-cell of a country.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Rape-rate

1 South Africa 132.4 2010  
2 Botswana 92.9 2010  
3 Lesotho 82.7 2009  
4 Swaziland 77.5 2004  
5 Bermuda 67.3 2004  
6 Sweden 63.5 2010  
7 Suriname 45.2 2004  
8 Costa Rica 36.7 2009  
9 Nicaragua 31.6 2010  
10 Grenada 30.6 2010  
=11 Australia 28.6 2010  

=92 Greece 1.9 2010  
=94 Montenegro 1.8 2006  
=94 Qatar 1.8 2004  
=94 India 1.8 2010  
97 Canada 1.7 2010  
98 Hong Kong 1.6 2010  
=99 Turkey 1.5 2008  
=99 United Arab Emirates 1.5 2006  

Of course the Chinese are buying much of the land/real-estate in that uber-patriotic country, so soon we will be getting gyaan from convicts in Mandarin as well :hatsoff: 

19 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Well to be fair, NZ's climate is more like Europe's - and you don't need to use AC as much.  Air conditioning is a major contributor to CO2 emissions and power consumption in general.  

As India prospers, there is a massive need for passive cooling technologies, and alternatives to conventional air conditioning.  The guy who comes up with a marketable solution is going to be a billionaire.   

Surely what you are suggesting is electricity use in terms of air conditioners.

How you generate said electricity is the key. For eg uk made the jump from coal to natural gas which has resulted in a large drop in emissions. France electricity is powered by nuclear. Australia electricity is still driven by coal.

Secondly the type of vehicles matter as well. Suv's will generate more carbon than a normal family sedan.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Or maybe they are easier to maintain since you stole an entire continent worth of land from the natives, and are now gate-keeping others from entering it? 

Easy on the sanctimonous self-righteousness there.   Pollution becomes a problem everywhere on the planet where population density is high, and more so, if government revenues are low. 

If the aborigines were still in the majority and were controlling the country then no Indian would want to move there. The 'convicts' made Australia what it is today. Otherwise it would be another Samoa or Papau New Guinea.

Edited by Ranvir

4 hours ago, OzGirl said:

Yes, India does have a great history, but that's about it. My Italian friends just went to India 2 months ago, they just returned and they told me some of the stories.

They have two daughters who are 12 and 16 and they told me about all these men surrounding them and taking photos of them, men staring at them etc. They said the pollution in India is terrible, people just throwing litter in the streets with no care, slums, poverty etc, they said some of the places looked modern but that was only 10 -15% . They went to Mumbai, Goa and another place, but they did not enjoy themselves, they said most of the people they met were trying to scam them, kept harassing them etc. 

I have wanted to go to India, its on my bucket list, but a few people told me as a solo woman in India it is very dangerous, so I think I will cross off India after what my friends told me and the things I have seen on YouTube, I just don't want to take the risk.

I'm not saying all Indians are like that, but don't want to go to a country were there is no respect for women, and no respect for the country in general. Despite Indians claiming that India is wonderful, to me that is just lip service when they are willing to throw rubbish on the beaches, on the streets, defecate in public etc.

And the Indians I have met tell me how great India is and how much they love India, I have asked a couple of Indians when they plan to go back to India, and why did they leave India but I still haven't heard anything from them.

It's true. My wife was perved on and even groped in a church (of all places) in Goa. I had to rough up the perpetrator but could not go to far as I did not want to end up in jail in a foreign country.

I would not advise any young woman to travel to India on their own. Even the middle class people can be perverted, I've come across some of them in IT here in the UK.

I dont know why Pakistan was brought up in this thread. It seems that Indians like to console themselves with the fact that India is not as bad as Pakistan. That is like saying a broken leg is better than a broken back. Compare yourselves to China and Japan not Pakistan if you want to improve yourselves.

More random India-bashing, this time from the UK, passing off some anecdote as some statement of proof/truth. 

Let's deal with the UK now:

The number of rapes per 100k in India is 1.8(from the earlier source).

Since, Pommie-stan wasn't on that list, another source was needed: 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rape-figures-for-england-and-wales-highest-in-europe-sr587qnck

The number of rapes recorded by police in England and Wales is the highest in the EU, according to official figures published yesterday.

Almost three times more rapes were recorded than in France, the country with the second highest number.

The number of rapes relative to population was also highest in England and Wales, at 62 per 100,000 inhabitants

Sadly that number is also going up in England and Wales

https://www.statista.com/statistics/283100/recorded-rape-offences-in-england-and-wales/

Rape offences have increased dramatically in England and Wales since 2012/13 when there were around 16.3 thousand incidents. After this year, rape offences increased to 20.75 thousand, then 29.3 thousand in 2014/15, before increasing to 35.8 thousand in 2015/16, and 41 thousand in 2016/17. In 2017/18 there were almost 54 thousand rape offences recorded by the Police in England and Wales, an increase of over ten thousand when compared with the previous year, the largest year-on-year increase in this period.

The next argument is usually that such crime isn't reported in India. Pre-empting that tired excuse, anyone objective or at least familiar to the field of Psychiatry would know that is a problem in every country. It is a psychiatric phenomenon where women feel guilty or ashamed to report rape and sexual harassment. That is why women across the world report feeling unsafe even reporting cases of sexual assault/rape, and, thus, cases are under-reported everywhere. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7298584

Abstract

This study was designed to determine whether or not more women are reporting sexual assault, and whether or not previously noted theories about why women do not report continue to be valid. The study revealed that only 18% of the adult women's rapes and only 11% of the assaults of children were reported. For adult women, the primary reason for not reporting seemed to combine a type of guilt as well as embarrassment. The implication of this finding is that even as external social factors change, the internal psychological barriers to rape reporting may remain.

The number for the UK is 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/an-overview-of-sexual-offending-in-england-and-wales

Females who had reported being victims of the most serious sexual offences in the last year were asked, regarding the most recent incident, whether or not they had reported the incident to the police. Only 15 per cent of victims of such offences said that they had done so. Frequently cited reasons for not reporting the crime were that it was ‘embarrassing’, they ‘didn’t think the police could do much to help’, that the incident was ‘too trivial or not worth reporting’, or that they saw it as a ‘private/family matter and not police business’

And, of those reported, the number actually prosecuted are:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rape-prosecution-england-wales-victims-court-cps-police-a8885961.html

The proportion of rapes being prosecuted in England and Wales has plummeted to just 1.7 per cent, new figures show.

Campaigners said victims were being failed by the criminal justice system, after one woman told The Independent that police claimed her attacker could not be caught if she failed to hand her mobile phone to officers.

New Home Office statistics suggest the alleged perpetrators of more than 98 per cent of rapes reported to the police are allowed to go free.

In 2018 only 3.8 per cent of sexual offences resulted in a charge or summons, down from 5.6 per cent the previous year. Just 1.7 per cent of rapes resulted in a charge or summons last year, compared to 3.3 per cent in 2017.

Charities say the 57,600 rapes recorded by police in 2018 are only a fraction of the real figure, because many victims do not report assaults.

By at least that measure, the UK,, or more specifically England and Wales is less safe than India for women. 

This shouldn't be surprising, as that country just had thousands of young girls groomed and raped by dedicated gangs, and their politicians can't and won't do anything tangible to address the issue.

They don't even consider men getting sexually assaulted by women as rape. 

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11572-018-9485-6

Under current UK legislation, only a man can commit rape. This paper argues that this is an unjustified double standard that reinforces problematic gendered stereotypes about male and female sexuality. I first reject three potential justifications for making penile penetration a condition of rape: (1) it is physically impossible for a woman to rape a man; (2) it is a more serious offence to forcibly penetrate someone than to force them to penetrate you; (3) rape is a gendered crime. I argue that, as these justifications fail, a woman having sex with a man without his consent ought to be considered rape. I then explain some further reasons that this matters. I argue that, not only is it unjust, it is also both a cause and a consequence of harmful stereotypes and prejudices about male and female sexuality: (1) men are ‘always up for sex’; (2) women’s sexual purity is more important than men’s; (3) sex is something men do to women. Therefore, I suggest that, if rape law were made gender neutral, these stereotypes would be undermined and this might make some (albeit small) difference to the problematic ways that sexual relations are sometimes viewed between men and women more generally.

Looking at the statistics, one wonders to what extent the actual number is deflated.

Of course, why go all the way to rape? Let's see what the UK-wallahs say about their own country regarding sexual harassment, shall we?

Some people in Pommie-stan are demanding the passing of laws to combat the amount of street harassment that occurs in the UK. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/02/criminalising-street-harassment-britain-france-catcalling-groping

If you’ve not been catcalled yourself, chances are you’ll know someone who has been. In 2016, research from the End Violence Against Women Coalition found that 64% of women of all ages have experienced unwanted sexual harassment in public; among 18- to 24-year-olds, that percentage increased to 85%. With figures like these, you’d have thought we’d all be talking about street harassment. But new figures from children’s charity Plan International UK suggest that isn’t always the case.

Of the 1,004 girls and young women aged between 14 and 21 they surveyed, 66% had experienced unwanted sexual attention, grabbing or groping, or indecent exposure. But 42% of them didn’t tell anyone. 33% said they were “too embarrassed” to open up, 28% didn’t think they’d be taken seriously, and 14% said they had kept quiet because they felt they were to blame.

In real terms, the number of sexual offences prosecuted dropped by more than 4,000 in the year, from 14,967 to 10,937, despite sex crimes recorded by police rising by 9 per cent in the same period.

A country with increasing sexual crimes is also experiencing a decrease in prosecution of such crimes. 

Of course the same country refuses to prosecute some of those crimes because:

Last year the most common outcome for rape cases was listed as “victim does not support action” (40 per cent), followed by other “evidential difficulties”, no suspect being identified and prosecution “not in the public interest”.

It's no surprise that 

http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/2016/03/uknationshstudy/

Changing Their Life:

When it comes to feeling safe, 63% of women (versus 45% of men) said they generally feel unsafe in public spaces and almost half do conscious “safety planning” when they go out in the evenings.

After reading all that: and if I were a cartoon, I would advise women to not go to such a dangerous country like the UK. Luckily, I am not such a cartoon. People with even average IQs know that sexual harassment and related violent-crimes are a global issue which needs to improve everywhere. 

If random goras who want to promote some YouTube channel on an Indian forum would do well to keep their ill-informed India-bashing to a minimum. There's a reason their YouTube channels don't already have subscribers. 

That these same disgusting people are using sexual crimes to indulge in their faux-patriotism is sad. One wonders why such creatures need to hallucinate some horrible India to prop-up their countries' imagined greatness and/or moral superiority. Maybe this reveals how shitty their own countries actually are and attempts to tear-down India are a coping mechanism. :hmmm:

We Indians already know our country has problems and we are working to fix them. We don't need gyaan from people in rapidly devolving societies where gender and species are social constructs and who having legacies of genocide and slavery that would make Hitler green with envy.  

Edited by Tibarn

1 hour ago, Tibarn said:

More random India-bashing, this time from the UK, passing off some anecdote as some statement of proof/truth. 

Let's deal with the UK now:

The number of rapes per 100k in India is 1.8(from the earlier source).

Since, Pommie-stan wasn't on that list, another source was needed: 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rape-figures-for-england-and-wales-highest-in-europe-sr587qnck

Sadly that number is also going up in England and Wales

https://www.statista.com/statistics/283100/recorded-rape-offences-in-england-and-wales/

The next argument is usually that such crime isn't reported in India. Pre-empting that tired excuse, anyone objective or at least familiar to the field of Psychiatry would know that is a problem in every country. It is a psychiatric phenomenon where women feel guilty or ashamed to report rape and sexual harassment. That is why women across the world report feeling unsafe even reporting cases of sexual assault/rape, and, thus, cases are under-reported everywhere. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7298584

The number for the UK is 

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/an-overview-of-sexual-offending-in-england-and-wales

And, of those reported, the number actually prosecuted are:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rape-prosecution-england-wales-victims-court-cps-police-a8885961.html

By at least that measure, the UK,, or more specifically England and Wales is less safe than India for women. 

This shouldn't be surprising, as that country just had thousands of young girls groomed and raped by dedicated gangs, and their politicians can't and won't do anything tangible to address the issue.

They don't even consider men getting sexually assaulted by women as rape. 

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11572-018-9485-6

Looking at the statistics, one wonders to what extent the actual number is deflated.

Of course, why go all the way to rape? Let's see what the UK-wallahs say about their own country regarding sexual harassment, shall we?

Some people in Pommie-stan are demanding the passing of laws to combat the amount of street harassment that occurs in the UK. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/02/criminalising-street-harassment-britain-france-catcalling-groping

A country with increasing sexual crimes is also experiencing a decrease in prosecution of such crimes. 

Of course the same country refuses to prosecute some of those crimes because:

It's no surprise that 

http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/2016/03/uknationshstudy/

After reading all that: and if I were a cartoon, I would advise women to not go to such a dangerous country like the UK. Luckily, I am not such a cartoon. People with even average IQs know that sexual harassment and related violent-crimes are a global issue which needs to improve everywhere. 

If random goras who want to promote some YouTube channel on an Indian forum would do well to keep their ill-informed India-bashing to a minimum. There's a reason their YouTube channels don't already have subscribers. 

That these same disgusting people are using sexual crimes to indulge in their faux-patriotism is sad. One wonders why such creatures need to hallucinate some horrible India to prop-up their countries' imagined greatness and/or moral superiority. Maybe this reveals how shitty their own countries actually are and attempts to tear-down India are a coping mechanism. :hmmm:

We Indians already know our country has problems and we are working to fix them. We don't need gyaan from people in rapidly devolving societies where gender and species are social constructs and who having legacies of genocide and slavery that would make Hitler green with envy.  

Adding to that if they care so much about women, why not close down strip clubs and Hooters here in US?  

54 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Adding to that if they care so much about women, why not close down strip clubs and Hooters here in US?  

Are those forced activities?

Many people of both genders earn a living stripping . Many students pay through college doing that.

A voluntary activity is different from a forced crime .

16 minutes ago, beetle said:

Are those forced activities?

Many people of both genders earn a living stripping . Many students pay through college doing that.

A voluntary activity is different from a forced crime .

You answered your question. It becomes a forced activity if they have to objectify themselves in order to pay college tuition, because they cannot find an alternative job where they don't have to objectify themselves. It displays flaw in the system itself.

8 hours ago, Ranvir said:

It's true. My wife was perved on and even groped in a church (of all places) in Goa. I had to rough up the perpetrator but could not go to far as I did not want to end up in jail in a foreign country.

I would not advise any young woman to travel to India on their own. Even the middle class people can be perverted, I've come across some of them in IT here in the UK.

I dont know why Pakistan was brought up in this thread. It seems that Indians like to console themselves with the fact that India is not as bad as Pakistan. That is like saying a broken leg is better than a broken back. Compare yourselves to China and Japan not Pakistan if you want to improve yourselves.

Yeah, I did not once mention Pakistan, but yet Pakistan has been bought up in this thread along with insults towards me. I don't really care, I can bet you that all the people in this thread trying to  throw **** would be the first people lining up to leave India.

That's why every day Australian customs and border arrest and deport Indians and other nationalities who try and come here on fake visas etc, I don't blame these people.

But Indians take the cake they come here and all of a sudden become "patriotic" towards India, while living in Australia and getting all the benefits of living here.

I have asked a couple of Indians who were telling me how great and wonderful India is, why they left such a great country, but I am still to hear from them. 

Australia has a lot of problems as well, I am not saying we are perfect no country is perfect, but at least here we know what we have, and we are proud, not a fake proud.

I have traveled to many countries, but whenever I come back to Australia I fall in love again with the country.

59 minutes ago, OzGirl said:

Yeah, I did not once mention Pakistan, but yet Pakistan has been bought up in this thread along with insults towards me. I don't really care, I can bet you that all the people in this thread trying to  throw **** would be the first people lining up to leave India.

You mean just like how Aussies we’re leaving Australia when they could up to the 1950s,when your country was poor ??

But Indians take the cake they come here and all of a sudden become "patriotic" towards India, while living in Australia and getting all the benefits of living here.

Aussies who live in Vancouver are pretty patriotic about Oz. So why the different metric for us ?? 

I have asked a couple of Indians who were telling me how great and wonderful India is, why they left such a great country, but I am still to hear from them. 

We leave for the same reason everyone leaves their country: for $$. Just like the Aussies 60-70 years ago.

Australia has a lot of problems as well, I am not saying we are perfect no country is perfect, but at least here we know what we have, and we are proud, not a fake proud.

Say that to the expat Aussies then who are also fake proud according to you.

I have traveled to many countries, but whenever I come back to Australia I fall in love again with the country.

Natural. Everyone has a special place in their heart for the land of their birth. Also your nations problems don’t compare to ours. You guys literally stole a barren continent and until literally 20 years ago we’re less civilized than most developing world nations in terms of treatment of the natives. Plus your problems are that of 25 million people living in a resource rich continent, not that of 1/6th of entire humanity. 

4 hours ago, MechEng said:

You answered your question. It becomes a forced activity if they have to objectify themselves in order to pay college tuition, because they cannot find an alternative job where they don't have to objectify themselves. It displays flaw in the system itself.

That’s not a valid argument since flesh trade is always higher income than most other work. So you can always say ‘ there was no other way for me to make 500 bucks in 3 hours except being a prostitute’