Jump to content
raki05

Whatever happened to Unmukt Chand

Recommended Posts

Very few U-19 players, go on to play for India. Unmukt is no different, yet was lucky with being labelled as the next “Kohli”. He got incredibly hype and money early days.

 

Today, it seems he isn’t complaining or blaming others, and thats a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post

There were others too like him who were supposed to make it but did not.

 

Unmukt got more hype and fame initially...mostly for noncricketing reasons .

 

I also believe fame did go to his head initially.

The kapil dev incident explains it .

He should have been practicing and not giving talks or publicising his book at 19 .RD also advised him to concentrate on cricket at his book launch or book tour.

 

But that is behind him now. He probably realises it now and is still young enough to concentrate on cricket and make it .

 

Good luck to him .

 

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, beetle said:

There were others too like him who were supposed to make it but did not.

 

Unmukt got more hype and fame initially...mostly for noncricketing reasons .

 

I also believe fame did go to his head initially.

The kapil dev incident explains it .

He should have been practicing and not giving talks or publicising his book at 19 .RD also advised him to concentrate on cricket at his book launch or book tour.

 

But that is behind him now. He probably realises it now and is still young enough to concentrate on cricket and make it .

 

Good luck to him .

 

He should inspired with dhawan. Dhawan also got hype during his u19 days but it took him long after u19 to get in to indian team. He grinded himself in domestic and then ipl of 12 and 13 I suppose which finally brought him to indian team.

Share this post


Link to post

U-19 teams are mostly immature when it comes to chase targets regardless the number of runs, this guy helped India win the wc in final while chasing that too after India was 4 down. His hype was mainly due to his arrogant batting style which World Cricket had started becoming very attentive about after Kohli's Hobart and Mirpur Heroics same year. I can recall Mark Ramprakash in one of the post match of that wc saying this guy will play for India in few months and Slater in one of Australia's senior team's post match saying "India has found another Kohli, while where is our version of Kohli?" The idea of getting someone like Kohli in the Indian team was mouth watering specially when Kohli had started to dominate the ODI cricket in 2012 when news about Kohli's century had started to become norm.

 

He is still 26 and lots of time left in career, Dhawan debuted at 25 in ODIs and 28 in tests, Agarwal at 28. So, nothing to get disheartened about.

Edited by Bigg Brother

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/14/2019 at 12:18 AM, sandsaims said:

Success went to his head and he started behaving like a superstar and ofcourse writing a book at that stage about his journey just showed how self obsessed he was.

Many players have suffered because of "Success went into his head" syndrome.  Kambli, Amol Mazumdar, Sadanand Viswanath and of late Shreyas Iyer, Ambati Rayudu and not to mention even Virat Kohli.

 

Some players realize it early and turn it around.  Some - just rest on their imaginary laurels.

Edited by BlackMamba

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/14/2019 at 7:55 PM, Bigg Brother said:

U-19 teams are mostly immature when it comes to chase targets regardless the number of runs, this guy helped India win the wc in final while chasing that too after India was 4 down. His hype was mainly due to his arrogant batting style which World Cricket had started becoming very attentive about after Kohli's Hobart and Mirpur Heroics same year. I can recall Mark Ramprakash in one of the post match of that wc saying this guy will play for India in few months and Slater in one of Australia's senior team's post match saying "India has found another Kohli, while where is our version of Kohli?" The idea of getting someone like Kohli in the Indian team was mouth watering specially when Kohli had started to dominate the ODI cricket in 2012 when news about Kohli's century had started to become norm.

 

He is still 26 and lots of time left in career, Dhawan debuted at 25 in ODIs and 28 in tests, Agarwal at 28. So, nothing to get disheartened about.

Even Ian Chapell was very impressed with him, calling for his inclusion in the senior team right away. Dhawan had a decent IPL career before making his international debut but Chand's IPL career never took off. 

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, BlackMamba said:

Many players have suffered because of "Success went into his head" syndrome.  Kambli, Amol Mazumdar, Sadanand Viswanath and of late Shreyas Iyer, Ambati Rayudu and not to mention even Virat Kohli.

 

Some players realize it early and turn it around.  Some - just rest on their imaginary laurels.

The difference here being this guy had never even made it to the Indian team, was still only in the U19 team.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...