Jadavpur (Nehru/National) University

Number

I'll always thank God I didn't join JU for my BE course, backed out despite some of my best friends going there. Was politically naive those days so dodged a bullet. *ing lunatic asylum, in many ways worse than JNU and they manage to bring so many otherwise pleasant chaps into their fold, some voodoo going on there or what. Quality of education, facilities, placements, opportunities are still good but the political atmosphere in campus life is overpowering unlike most other institutes of higher learning. 

Always been a hub of left wing extremists, worst phase was in the decade after Naxalbari when many students from JU joined Charu Majumdar's militant cause. This is somewhat a hidden event but I have heard elders talking about then CM Siddhartha Shankar Ray (Congress, top aide of Indira) launching a violent crackdown in JU in the 70s because it became a Naxal hideout, also serving as their armoury. Heard there were many casualties but the news of the violence was suppressed. Some make parallels with Tiananmen Square but that sounds like an exaggeration. But no smoke without fire, there must have been some scale of violence by the regime against campus students aligned with extreme left. IG regime was of course well renowned for burying uncomfortable stories. 

Edited by Gollum

14 hours ago, Number said:

Heckling and thrashing the sitting MP.

Why ??

Because he came there to speak at an ABVP event.

As of now they are under protection of TMC govt controlled police but lets see who saves them after Bengal elections.

SFI cadre man, not chums with TMC. JU is one of the last strongholds of Left in India, their presence fast dwindling across the country. They pissed CM Mamata off a few years back when she was doing an interview with Pagalika on campus. More examples of TMC being heckled there if you search. BJP ain't fools, they allowed this to happen to makes some noise :winky:, politics hai bhai.

Wtf happened to JU ? My entire family can be divided into 4 camps: Jadavpur educated, Shibpur educated and for my gen or younger, Kharagpur educated and BHU educated. In my parents gen Jadavpur meant congress supporter and Shibpur meant Communist supporter. In my gen Jadavpur meant urban liberalist and political ambiguous. Now ?? It seems like it’s a den of commies. Wtf