After Turkey sides with Pakistan, India assures support for Cyprus' territorial integrity

Gollum

We need to be upfront here. My father has turkish clients based in Izmir for the past 20 years. 

Prior to Erdogen coming to power the secular parties totally mismanaged Turkeys economy.  Inflation was common at 15 to 20%

Overall Erdogen has been much better for the economy. You are free to look at stats such as gdp ppp per capita etc. The past couple of years have  been a bit rough. But he has initiated several tough economic reforms early into his term.

I think its deeply unwise to dismiss Erdogen as simply being an Islamist. He has delusions of being the leader of the ummah, however he knows when to put business interests first.

1 hour ago, G_B_ said:

We need to be upfront here. My father has turkish clients based in Izmir for the past 20 years. 

Prior to Erdogen coming to power the secular parties totally mismanaged Turkeys economy.  Inflation was common at 15 to 20%

Overall Erdogen has been much better for the economy. You are free to look at stats such as gdp ppp per capita etc. The past couple of years have  been a bit rough. But he has initiated several tough economic reforms early into his term.

I think its deeply unwise to dismiss Erdogen as simply being an Islamist. He has delusions of being the leader of the ummah, however he knows when to put business interests first.

Actually Erdogan being pro Ummah works in our favour: as long as Turkey is Islamist, it will never ever be buddies with Russia. Which works to our advantage. 

15 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Actually Erdogan being pro Ummah works in our favour: as long as Turkey is Islamist, it will never ever be buddies with Russia. Which works to our advantage. 

honestly, his party lost the mayor of Istanbul election twice this year (first time they said it was rigged despite being in power for 15 plus years)

As with everything in life, things come to an end. If this sustained period of economic weakness continues (the Turkish lira has fallen upto 100% against the USD since 2017 and inflation is high) Erdogen will at the very least be facing inwards than outwards.

Why are we so bothered by Erdogan's statements? His own beats the Pak fauj at stifling democratic opposition. 

Turkey has been trying so hard to get into the EU for all these years. But to no avail.

Maybe the sick man of Europe has realized that it can still be the leader of (West) Asia and these are very lame attempts towards that.

From my limited exposure to the nation and interaction with the people there, i don't believe that there is any genuine reaosn for animosity between our two nations. India should just support the opposition in Turkish elections and keep people to people/trade contacts with the common Turks and try to prop up Erdogan's domestic rivals.

Edited by Mariyam

5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why are we so bothered by Erdogan's statements? His own beats the Pak fauj at stifling democratic opposition. 

Turkey has been trying so hard to get into the EU for all these years. But to no avail.

Maybe the sick man of Europe has realized that it can still be the leader of (West) Asia and these are very lame attempts towards that.

From my limited exposure to the nation and interaction with the people there, i don't believe that there is any genuine reaosn for animosity between our two nations. India should just support the opposition in Turkish elections and keep people to people/trade contacts with the common Turks and try to prop up Erdogan's domestic rivals.

nope i think India should get out of defence deals with Turkey and support Cyprus..for lolz.

It seems malaysia is scrambling to save palm imports from india by offering to match Indonesian offer to buy indian sugar...

Not even a government move, our traders read between the lines.

Imo indian gov should keep quiet and just do nothing and step up imports from Indonesia. Indian citizens can choose to visit countries like vietnam over Malaysia as tourists

19 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

It seems malaysia is scrambling to save palm imports from india by offering to match Indonesian offer to buy indian sugar...

Not even a government move, our traders read between the lines.

Imo indian gov should keep quiet and just do nothing and step up imports from Indonesia. Indian citizens can choose to visit countries like vietnam over Malaysia as tourists

Umm.... Indian govt does not buy palm oil or sugar, so it cannot do what you ask. What it can do, is raise tariffs on country specific imports. This is what the private sector feared and took action against. Indian govt is keeping mum because it helps us:

a) gauge how reactive the private sector can be preemptively 

b) Give Malaysia a diplomatic chance to retract comments about Kashmir, without lifting a finger and coming off as ‘sensitive  bully’

in other words, if panic amongst palm oil buyers causes Malaysia to go ‘ sorry we fracked up, Kashmir is your internal matter’ on its own, it’s a win without lifting a finger. If not, we can either quietly screw them over or escalate if Malaysia opens its  mouth again.

My guess would be that India does not want to jeopardize its LCA deal with Malaysia, which though not finalized, does seem likely. It gives us more leverage on Malaysia, as then we’d not only have the customer clout, we’d also hold an US like position on their military hardware.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:21 PM, Gollum said:

Good, waise bhi palm oil is bad for health. 

Mahathir must look into Malaysia's own discrimination against its own Indian population before he lectures about Kashmir. Usually its malays first, chinese next and Indians are the last. One of my relatives went to Malaysia and experienced some trouble with immigration authorities over there even though he had a valid visa. He said he won't go there again.

8 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Umm.... Indian govt does not buy palm oil or sugar, so it cannot do what you ask. What it can do, is raise tariffs on country specific imports. This is what the private sector feared and took action against. Indian govt is keeping mum because it helps us:

a) gauge how reactive the private sector can be preemptively 

b) Give Malaysia a diplomatic chance to retract comments about Kashmir, without lifting a finger and coming off as ‘sensitive  bully’

in other words, if panic amongst palm oil buyers causes Malaysia to go ‘ sorry we fracked up, Kashmir is your internal matter’ on its own, it’s a win without lifting a finger. If not, we can either quietly screw them over or escalate if Malaysia opens its  mouth again.

My guess would be that India does not want to jeopardize its LCA deal with Malaysia, which though not finalized, does seem likely. It gives us more leverage on Malaysia, as then we’d not only have the customer clout, we’d also hold an US like position on their military hardware.

Aptly put....

Imran Khan has some questions to answer. What exactly have malaysia and turkey given us, moral support means nothing. 

We need to fix unemployment, inflation and GDP as top priority which PM Imran thinks are not even part of KPI Dashboard of an economy. Until Pakistan is not stable and healthy in terms of economy and output, these all spotlights would be useless. 

Should just make LOC a permanent border and move on with it, use the defence expenditure on economy. 

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Erdogan Talks Kashmir in Pak Parliament, Compares Kashmiri 'Struggle' to Turkey's Plight in WW1

Jihadi kutta Erdogan, and hero of Indian Muslims

Jamia honoured him, conferred doctorate

Image result for erdogan jamiaImage result for erdogan jamia

fcuking piece of human waste giving this guy a honor when he has none. check Turkish outreach and ban any fund recipients.