Tracking dropped catches by Team India

Will use this thread to track missed chances (regulation and the tough ones) by Team India

Day 3, Ind vs SA Vizag Test: 7 drop catches - 4 by Saha (one an extremely difficult one), 1 each by Vihari, Rohit and Rahane, has cost us 219 runs so far!!

17.5 Jadeja to Bavuma, no run, DROPPED! Plays this off the back foot, as the ball rushes on to him, and he flicks this towards Vihari. Goes in and pops out
Bavuma was on 0, scored 18

46.2 Jadeja to Elgar, no run, is that a drop? Length ball, around off stump, and Elgar pokes a bit at it, and gets the outside edge, and Saha cannot hang on to it. It was a decent chunk of the bat, and also didn't go to slip. 
Elgar was on 75, scored 160

60.4 Vihari to de Kock, no run, dropped. Rohit Sharma is not low enough at silly point. Length ball on off stump, looks to flick and gets it off the leading edge. Rohit only manages to get an instinctive right hand to it
de Kock was on 7, scored 111

91.2 I Sharma to Elgar, FOUR runs, past the keeper! No slip in! There was one last over, and a gully. It's only the gully now. Short of a length, cross-seam ball jumps up at Elgar as he looks to defend this. He has no idea as it slams his glove and sails wide of Saha
Elgar was on 142

95.4 Jadeja to de Kock, no run, was that an edge? The shoulder of the bat. Looked to cut that, but got it into Saha's leg and it fell short of Rahane at slip
de Kock was on 83

97.2 Jadeja to de Kock, no run, inside edge onto pad and bobs up momentarily to Saha's left, but way too wide for him to get a hand on it. A length ball outside off
de Kock was on 88

100.6 Ashwin to Muthusamy, FOUR runs, dropped! A tough chance to the left for Rahane. Length ball outside off, looks to drive and gets a thick edge. Rahane stretches to his left but it's too much to do
Muthuswamy was on 0

Cricbuzz keeps track of drops, they are usually more accurate than Cricinfo, but we can compare

https://www.cricbuzz.com/live-cricket-full-commentary/22743/ind-vs-rsa-1st-test-south-africa-tour-of-india-2019

Ashwin to Senuran Muthusamy, FOUR, dropped by Jinks - one of the safest catchers. Flighted delivery outside off stump, Muthusamy lunges forward and looks to push hard, gets a thick edge that flies, Rahane had to react quickly to his left and it escaped as he went one-handed

Jadeja to Elgar, no run, zips through, I think there's an outside edge on that striaghter one, and Saha's fluffed it! Tough chance, but that's gotta be taken...

Jadeja to Bavuma, no run, that would've been special had he held on. Turned off the bat-face into Vihari at short leg. Had no time to react. His best chance would've been had the ball looped up off his body somehow for the rebound, which it didn't

Cricbuzz says 3 Cricinfo says 7. That is a big difference... 

Edited by Moochad

These 3 were the dropped chances, none of them straightforward...these chances either stick or bounce out of palms. 

Others are comedy choices...the one on 91.2 for instance...went to vacant 2nd slip region...had Saha made that 10 m long jump from standing position to his left he would be in World Athletics meet, Doha right now and a greater star than Usain Bolt. Aise toh 400 dropped catches mil jayenge har innings me. 

Edited by Gollum

OK lemme be the bigger man and make peace with OP, you seem to be a sensible guy...why this error in judgement? Agenda against Saha? You can do whatever you want without fake info, don't you think? Introspect maybe.....not my intention to use harsh language.

Peace. 

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Several of them were not catches.  Everything going past Saha isn't a catch.

Using same parameters that has been used to criticise performance of other keepers. Can’t have different standards. Each half chance gets highlighted for others, why not for Saha.

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

OK lemme be the bigger man and make peace with OP, you seem to be a sensible guy...why this error in judgement? Agenda against Saha? You can do whatever you want without fake info, don't you think? Introspect maybe.....not my intention to use harsh language.

Peace. 

:two_thumbs_up: will delete some of my posts, but not the first post :p:

18 minutes ago, Moochad said:

Cricbuzz keeps track of drops, they are usually more accurate than Cricinfo, but we can compare

https://www.cricbuzz.com/live-cricket-full-commentary/22743/ind-vs-rsa-1st-test-south-africa-tour-of-india-2019

Ashwin to Senuran Muthusamy, FOUR, dropped by Jinks - one of the safest catchers. Flighted delivery outside off stump, Muthusamy lunges forward and looks to push hard, gets a thick edge that flies, Rahane had to react quickly to his left and it escaped as he went one-handed

Jadeja to Elgar, no run, zips through, I think there's an outside edge on that striaghter one, and Saha's fluffed it! Tough chance, but that's gotta be taken...

Jadeja to Bavuma, no run, that would've been special had he held on. Turned off the bat-face into Vihari at short leg. Had no time to react. His best chance would've been had the ball looped up off his body somehow for the rebound, which it didn't

Cricbuzz says 3 Cricinfo says 7. That is a big difference... 

Brah I saw all those so called chances. 3 drops, all 3 not straightforward.

Had Saha taken the 3 other so called misses he would be in my Tokyo 2020 team and a runaway winner in

1. long jump

2. diving

3. floor gymnastics

4. with spidey reflexes, contender in TT, badminton with 6 months training

He wouldn't be toiling under hot/humid sun playing a dying sport called test cricket.

22 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

:two_thumbs_up: will delete some of my posts, but not the first post :p:

Edit part of your OP dude because it is misleading. I have deleted the rude portions in my posts, don't really want to pick petty fights and I have no history of altercations with you. 

It is a good topic you started but to ensure it doesn't become mockery we need to be fair. Otherwise in future, people will bump this and assign faltu ka blame to players they don't like...it will become a thread for agenda setting and not for honest discussion and evaluation. I am sure you'll agree that the purpose of this thread is cricket analysis, as thread starter would you like if this becomes a mudslinging contest or random posters deliberately pulling certain players down? Some of the candidates in OP they aren't half chances, they are quarter chances or in some cases no chance for any human. Keeper can't make long jump from static position and cover 2nd slip area, occasionally he can take catches in 1st slip region towards his natural side. 

I don't spend much time on cricket section, if you start something new ensure it is done in proper spirit and not based on how it was done earlier by posters with vested interests. I know half chances when I see them, somehow watched those exact portions of play today and my strong disagreement has no ulterior motive. CB has got it spot on, just the 3.

Edited by Gollum
16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Brah I saw all those so called chances. 3 drops, all 3 not straightforward.

Had Saha taken the 3 other so called misses he would be in my Tokyo 2020 team and a runaway winner in

1. long jump

2. diving

3. floor gymnastics

4. with spidey reflexes, contender in TT, badminton with 6 months training

He wouldn't be toiling under hot/humid sun playing a dying sport called test cricket.

I was wondering how Cricinfo and Cricbuzz could have such a difference in number of dropped catches :cantstop:

I didn't remember half of those and I watched a large portion of the match live. 

Edited by Moochad
42 minutes ago, Moochad said:

I was wondering how Cricinfo and Cricbuzz could have such a difference in number of dropped catches :cantstop:

I didn't remember half of those and I watched a large portion of the match live. 

Even Cricinfo hasn't used 'dropped' in 3 of those instances (all Saha's) if you notice. Because they weren't drops, no human being is gonna take those !!!! 

Rohit Sharma's  drop wasn't a drop per se...practically speaking those of us who have followed the sport would realize those are 1/10 chances...even worse odds IMO. SP, FSL aren't expected to take balls travelling at that pace and that height. Even Vihari's drop of Bavuma was a half chance IMO, either sticks or doesn't. But I don't mind if OP wants to include that, or Rahane's. During heat of the moment we may think of them as easy chances, but when analyzed calmly maybe we judge the players too harshly? Saha's only legit drop was of Elgar, a thick edge which is the toughest to take for keepers when standing up to the stumps. PP missed a couple of those in the 2016 Eng home series and I never counted them...since this is Saha it is right to account for it because we have higher expectations from Saha the keeper. 

Even I watched most of the action today, including all the portions mentioned in OP. Didn't need CB or cricinfo to tell me how many we dropped. Waise these CB/cricinfo commentators have their biases and agenda....sure follow them when you can't watch the match live but take their assessment with a pinch of salt. Also some of their expectations are unrealistic, basic human flaw. Our eyes are always the best judge, I do think an average ICFer isn't like a random Indian fan....he/she has some ability to analyze independently and not be like sheep. Those cricket sites are mainly for lazy, non-serious fans, sometimes they sensationalize things for more hits and participation.

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Using same parameters that has been used to criticise performance of other keepers. Can’t have different standards. Each half chance gets highlighted for others, why not for Saha.

Because they weren't half chances.

Elgar edged one between Pappu and first slip in our test series there...that was a legit chance. I am sure most here would remember that incident....keeper and 1st slip (Che?) staring at each other with Pappu shouting and making faces.

Elgar edging one to second slip when there was no one between keeper and 4th slip isn't a chance for a non-Avenger....https://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/south-africa-tour-of-india-2019/india-vs-south-africa-m190926/match-clips/replay-india-vs-sa-day-3/1440002682 (check 6:16:30 mark)

6:42:16

6:37:07

and others

@Ankit_sharma03 and @Moochad bhai, you as well in case you are interested. 

Edited by Gollum