Virat Kohli's India 'need to win big tournaments' - Sourav Ganguly

7 hours ago, New guy said:

I think there is a difference between losing to an all time great Australian team in the final on their turf and losing to a Pakistani and a kiwi team 

Didn't Ganguly's team lose ICC final to a low rung Kiwi team led by Cairns in 2001.Kiwi team of 2019 is defintely stronger than that 2001 Kiwi team.

Ganguly's teams set record for choking in 9 or ten finals. Remember 54 all out vs SL when Jayasurya scored 189 all by himself.

Edited by putrevus
5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Didn't Ganguly's team lose ICC final to a low rung Kiwi team led by Cairns in 2001.Kiwi team of 2019 is defintely stronger than that 2001 Kiwi team.

Ganguly's teams set record for choking in 9 or ten finals. Remember 54 all out vs SL when Jayasurya scored 189 all by himself.

Your reply to the above  post is not wrong,which is absolutely true

But do you find anything wrong with Ganguly's statement in general ?if TM wants their team to be hailed as Best in the world they need to win few icc tournaments and he never said i had a decent record as Captain compared to Virushka in that regard

23 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Your reply to the above  post is not wrong,which is absolutely true

But do you find anything wrong with Ganguly's statement in general ?if TM wants their team to be hailed as Best in the world they need to win few icc tournaments and he never said i had a decent record as Captain compared to Virushka in that regard

Even a kid on the street knows India needs to win the tournaments. Since 2013 India must be the best team in all formats and they have the least losses too in ICC tournaments.But they have nothing to show for even after having those great results.They cannot keep wasting the chances.

What is going wrong, first it was Dhoni the captain who screwed up Kohli's great T20 performances and second it is Kohli who is screwing himself by not showing up in big matches as a batsman.

IMO they need to find a top batsman to play at no4  and some luck. Who knows if there was no rain delay and India was chasing in the evening rather than the next day things would have been totally different.That is the luck you need sometimes.This team is losing matches at the wrong time.

Ganguly as a captain has done nothing which is greater than Kohli as a captain.Ganguly in his later stages became so paranoid and was so lost as batsman.This is the same guy who feigned injury after seeing green pitch in Nagpur and bailed out on his team.Kohli yes he flopped in big semi finals but he has done very well leading the team by being the best batsman across all formats.

Kohli captained two ICC tournaments and reached semis and finals.

Ganguly is president of BCCI not the coach.President needs to worry about bigger things about the infrastructure in BCCI than just team results.He needs to show he has the vision to run this multi billion dollar enterprise.

Edited by putrevus
3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What is going wrong, first it was Dhoni the captain who screwed up Kohli's great T20 performances and second it is Kohli who is screwing himself by not showing up in big matches as a batsman.

thats the problem focus only on kohli the batsman

We didnt deserve to win 2016 t20 Wc coz only one guy was doing well.......teams are suppose to win not individuals. WI performed like a team and they won it 

We didnt loose in 2017 CT n 2019 Wc only coz kohli as batsman failed.....coz anyone can fail on given day as its just one ball. Good teams dont rely on one player....

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

thats the problem focus only on kohli the batsman

We didnt deserve to win 2016 t20 Wc coz only one guy was doing well.......teams are suppose to win not individuals. WI performed like a team and they won it 

We didnt loose in 2017 CT n 2019 Wc only coz kohli as batsman failed.....coz anyone can fail on given day as its just one ball. Good teams dont rely on one player....

What the heck is your point.

8 hours ago, New guy said:

I think there is a difference between losing to an all time great Australian team in the final on their turf and losing to a Pakistani and a kiwi team 

dude we lost to a suck ass NZ team in 2000 in what was the precursor of the champions trophy. in 2002 we shared the victory due to rain.

we chocked in the Asia cup in the finals in 2004 despite being the best team.

Truth is Ganguly choked badly. Just like Tendulkar in the finals.

12 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

dude we lost to a suck ass NZ team in 2000 in what was the precursor of the champions trophy. in 2002 we shared the victory due to rain.

That NZ was a better side then our indian team at that time 

12 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

we chocked in the Asia cup in the finals in 2004 despite being the best team.

Truth is Ganguly choked badly. Just like Tendulkar in the finals.

yup ganguly has lost some 13 finals 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

that u shud stop saying that we failed coz kohli the batsman didnt showup in KO.......

If kohli was only to be relied upon then his cant be called a good team 

Kohli has stats of the greatest odi player and it is not even close.But there is a big hole in his resume , he has flopped big time in last three ICC knockout matches.He did not even give his team a chance in any of those matches.He needs to show up in these big matches and drag his team along with him but he has failed big time.Thats why I blame Kohli the most for the last semi final loss.

Since Kohli took the mantle of being the India's best batsman from 2013 , India has always relied on its top three.It is not just Kohli who failed to groom a proper number 4 batsman.Kohli is incharge since 2017.What happpened from 2013 - 2017.Indian top three have developed this knack of flopping together in crunch matches.

I don't understand how that makes Kohli bad captain.

Edited by putrevus
Just now, putrevus said:

Kohli has stats of the greatest odi player and it is not even close.But there is a big hole in his resume , he has flopped big time in last three ICC knockout matches.He did not even give his team a chance in any of those matches.He needs to show up in these big matches and rag his team along with him but he has failed big time.Thats why I blame Kohli the most for the last semi final loss.

Kohli was the highest scorer in 2013 CT final.....he wont score every time

Even Tendulkar is the greatest ODI player yet failed in 2003 n 2011 final 

Its not a one man sport.......in a team game everyone has to chip in some point

take 2011 wc example dhoni n gambhir did it who werent having that great a tournament as yuvi or sachin was having

2007 t20 Wc- Gambhir, Rohit stood up .....yuvi failed 

2016 world t20- brathwite won it for them ....not one of the main guys 

One player  wll not win u tournaments ever .....look around champion teams in world or IPL everyone will chip in at some time n thats how u win tournaments 

Just now, putrevus said:

I don't understand how that makes Kohli bad captain.

Coz if ur team goes in as fav does damn well in whole tournament n just choke on that one then their is something wrong .....

in 2017 CT, 2019 Wc we went in as fav....we played well in tournament but failed on that one day 

Same thing with RCB....always has a gr8 team on paper yet somehow messes up.....u see a common pattern 

The 47-year-old said wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha, who comes from a state whose association Ganguly heads, had to score more runs. “There is no question on his wicketkeeping skills but he has to score runs if he has to play 100 matches. There is one more match in the South Africa series and he still has a chance to score a century,” said Ganguly.

WTF Dada, you traitor :whack:* off. 

Why can't these mofos get off the back of Saha. Poor guy hardly gets a chance to bat on pattas, much better batsman than what his critics blabber, 3 test 100s (47 innings) including one outside Asia...something that eluded Cool. Even in 1st test, he did his job, 22(16) good enough under those circumstances, selfless batting.

What does this asshole want, a 100 in final test irrespective of match situation, or poor Saha's career over? Forget rest of India, even CAB hasn't backed Saha the least bit all these years. Most Bengali cricket fans mock and downplay him including some here, is it because he isn't from Kolkata? North Bengal has always faced discrimination, why can't Bongs celebrate the fact that they have produced a world class cricketer from a district with close to zero cricket infrastructure?  Pathetic to see one city have such a big say in the state's affairs. 

Edited by Gollum
10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Kohli was the highest scorer in 2013 CT final.....he wont score every time

Even Tendulkar is the greatest ODI player yet failed in 2003 n 2011 final 

Its not a one man sport.......in a team game everyone has to chip in some point

take 2011 wc example dhoni n gambhir did it who werent having that great a tournament as yuvi or sachin was having

2007 t20 Wc- Gambhir, Rohit stood up .....yuvi failed 

2016 world t20- brathwite won it for them ....not one of the main guys 

One player  wll not win u tournaments ever .....look around champion teams in world or IPL everyone will chip in at some time n thats how u win tournaments 

Coz if ur team goes in as fav does damn well in whole tournament n just choke on that one then their is something wrong .....

in 2017 CT, 2019 Wc we went in as fav....we played well in tournament but failed on that one day 

Same thing with RCB....always has a gr8 team on paper yet somehow messes up.....u see a common pattern 

We went favorites even in 2014 too world T20 finals when Dhoni was captain.  Stop bringing nonsensical IPL into equation,this is not IPl. I don't follow IPL nor I care what happens there.IPL is not Indian team.

I know what cricket is, I know what Kohli has done or not done as batsman. There is nothing wrong in his captaincy and Dada is last person I want to hear from about Kohli needing to win tournament when his teams were the biggest chokers.

Kohli led in two tournaments and people are making as if this guy is perennnial loser. Dhoni lost more tournaments than Kohli captained but some how he is great captain along with Ganguly.

7 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

this....  losing to an ATG  team  in the finals  chasing a huge 359  & losing to a  lower ranked NZL in the semi chasing only a modest 239 are chalk and cheese apart.

India was blown away by Aus in 2003 , utterly destroyed twice.

in 2019 India got beaten in a specific condition well suited to the one team that could have pulled off a win on India on that condition, any other team in that pitch India would have beaten them ( except may be SA with Steyn). Only other game India would have lost is a flat track batting second after England. 

The 2019 team is not that bad an the 2003 team was not that good.  

26 minutes ago, putrevus said:

We went favorites even in 2014 too world T20 finals when Dhoni was captain.  Stop bringing nonsensical IPL into equation,this is not IPl. I don't follow IPL nor I care what happens there.IPL is not Indian team.

As i said u wont win every day

SL got their strategy better then us that day 

Why IPL is not crciket or what ? Isnt captaincy a factor in it 

u dont follow it thts ur problem.....captaincy is captaincy 

I know what cricket is, I know what Kohli has done or not done as batsman. There is nothing wrong in his captaincy and Dada is last person I want to hear from about Kohli needing to win tournament when his teams were the biggest chokers.

What wrong did ganguly say.....kohli needs to win big tournament thats a fact . He didnt say in a demeaning way ....he only meant that this team can achieve more 

Kohli led in two tournaments and people are making as if this guy is perennnial loser. Dhoni lost more tournaments than Kohli captained but some how he is great captain along with Ganguly.

Dhoni won a lot - asia cup twice, CB series against that aussie side even gr8 at dip, t20 Wc, CT, Wc, IPL.......he won a lot. No one wins everything unless u have the team that aussies had in 200s.....he lost a lot but he won to 

Kohli has only lost lost - asia cup 2014, ct 2017, Wc 2019, IPL.......winning tournaments is diff ball game and till now he hasnt shown it that he can anywhere if anything IPL is a chance only to show . Their is no proof that he can win big tournaments. In this time Rohit has won asia cup ,nidhas n IPL

ganguly team pretty much punched above their weight most times.....

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
4 minutes ago, Vilander said:

India was blown away by Aus in 2003 , utterly destroyed twice.

in 2019 India got beaten in a specific condition well suited to the one team that could have pulled off a win on India on that condition, any other team in that pitch India would have beaten them ( except may be SA with Steyn). Only other game India would have lost is a flat track batting second after England. 

The 2019 team is not that bad an the 2003 team was not that good.  

2019 team was one of the fav of tournament

2003 team punched above their weight only to loose to a team that cudnt have been beaten .....to be honest all teams were playing to be 2nd at that time and thats how good those aussies were 

7 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

As i said u wont win every day

SL got their strategy better then us that day 

Why IPL is not crciket or what ? Isnt captaincy a factor in it 

u dont follow it thts ur problem.....captaincy is captaincy 

What wrong did ganguly say.....kohli needs to win big tournament thats a fact . He didnt say in a demeaning way ....he only meant that this team can achieve more 

Dhoni won a lot - asia cup twice, CB series against that aussie side even gr8 at dip, t20 Wc, CT, Wc, IPL.......he won a lot. No one wins everything unless u have the team that aussies had in 200s.....he lost a lot but he won to 

Kohli has only lost lost - asia cup 2014, ct 2017, Wc 2019, IPL.......winning tournaments is diff ball game and till now he hasnt shown it that he can anywhere if anything IPL is a chance only to show . Their is no proof that he can win big tournaments. In this time Rohit has won asia cup ,nidhas n IPL

ganguly team pretty much punched above their weight most times.....

IPl is not cricket,stop bringing IPL into equation. Ganguly's team were the biggest chokers. Kohli captained three tournament one way back in 2014 did you see the team he got then. Other than winning his team were into contention in both of them. They just had bad days.

Kohli is far better captain than Ganguly ever was and it is not even close.

13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

IPl is not cricket,stop bringing IPL into equation.

why coz that makes ur argument weak

isnt it played with bat ball.....isnt about team building and a multi team tournament. Doesnt captain handle team on ground 

Ganguly's team were the biggest chokers.

yes they were

Kohli captained three tournament one way back in 2014 did you see the team he got then. Other than winning his team were into contention in both of them. They just had bad days.

nothing wrong in that 2014 team even rohit got kohli team in asia cup n nidhas 

Imp point kohli only got 3 tournament n failed in all 3....i bet had he gotten more he ll fail those to 

We lost 2014 asia cup due to kohli foolishness....remeber he gave last over to ashwin against afridi....whole world knws that u dnt give afridi spinner specially when boundaries are small n nyways u dnt give last over to spinners

he also played binny as one of the main bowlers in one game :adore:

Kohli is far better captain than Ganguly ever was and it is not even close.

in test yes 

In odi- No, in odi ganguly team always punched above their weight .....most times they lost to better teams 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
44 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

why coz that makes ur argument weak

isnt it played with bat ball.....isnt about team building and a multi team tournament. Doesnt captain handle team on ground 

yes they were

nothing wrong in that 2014 team even rohit got kohli team in asia cup n nidhas 

Imp point kohli only got 3 tournament n failed in all 3....i bet had he gotten more he ll fail those to 

We lost 2014 asia cup due to kohli foolishness....remeber he gave last over to ashwin against afridi....whole world knws that u dnt give afridi spinner specially when boundaries are small n nyways u dnt give last over to spinners

he also played binny as one of the main bowlers in one game :adore:

in test yes 

In odi- No, in odi ganguly team always punched above their weight .....most times they lost to better teams 

No because IPL is totally dependent on owner and his ability to form a team. What kind of atmosphere he or she provide to captain and  coaches.

Binny as bowler won a match with best figures, stop nit picking.I would trust Binny the bowler in helpful condition than I would trust Pandya.

Anywhere Kohli is far better than Ganguly ever was.

15 minutes ago, putrevus said:

No because IPL is totally dependent on owner and his ability to form a team. What kind of atmosphere he or she provide to captain and  coaches.

not all owners are same only KXIP n DD has interfered a lot hence they never let coaches n captain settle

RCB has given full freedom to virat.....they spend all the money for players he asks for . What else they havent fired him despite such a poor show agains n again

Binny as bowler won a match with best figures, stop nit picking.I would trust Binny the bowler in helpful condition than I would trust Pandya.

on a damp wet pitch .....where even india struggled while batting n got out on 105.....even clarke got 6/9 on a rank turner doesnt mean u start playing him as main bowler. What damp pitches were we suppose to get in that asia cup

Binny did nothing with ball when he got a chance in england test series.....pandya is miles ahead as bowler then binny . On a damp wet pitch every trundler who swing the ball will be lethal 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03